Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rally-O in Ottawa

PetFriendly
November 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Does any take Rally-O lessons in Ottawa? If so, can you please PM me the name of the 'school'.

Also, a quick question for those of you in the know, is Rally-O open to all dogs, even mixed breed ones? We are currently in agility and both I and the dog are liking that, so I thought I might expand our skills to include Rally-O but will really only pursue it if we would be eligible to compete...

mafiaprincess
November 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
I can't help you on schools.. I know people in our agility class that love rally-o though.

This quote from the Canadian Association of Rally Obedience made me smile though Rally Obedience is an fun dog obedience sport, open to ALL dogs, purebred or mixed breed, pets or titled champions as well as physically challenged dogs and/or handlers.
http://www.canadianrallyo.ca/

I just like how all inclusive it is.. Same as the Agility Association of Canada for having 'all Canadian breed' Heinz 57 compete. :o

PetFriendly
November 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
I just like how all inclusive it is.. Same as the Agility Association of Canada for having 'all Canadian breed' Heinz 57 compete. :o

Sounds like we might like it then... assuming I find a place :confused:

Maybe I should start by reading up on it :)

Lissa
November 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I will PM you the school I go to, they have a new rally course starting up in January (but I think I am in the other end of town!).

I have an excellent Rally book - I'd be happy to lend it to you or photocopy/scan parts that are of interest to you. A friend of mine has it right now but should be finished with it in a couple of weeks. This is the one I have: http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTO206
I found rally SO confusing with all the signs at first - I was like what the heck are those things suppose to mean? I apparently have NO sense of direction! A 270 degree pivot meant nothing to me before I researched!:o

downloader
November 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
don't know about the schools but there will b a rally o event on the week end of the 17 feb in Ottawa.http://www.bluewhippet.net/blog/

PetFriendly
November 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Maybe being good at geometry was worth while after all, I know exactly what 270 degree pivot would look like!

Its off to the book store I go. I won't be starting until the spring, but maybe we can get a head start on some of the basic commands.

mafiaprincess
December 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Bump..

We can't continue with agility over the winter, they changed our class night and I've got to work.. After hemming and hawing, I just signed us up for a Rally class starting Jan 9th. I'm excited, but scared, lol.

mafiaprincess
January 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well.. We started our first Rally class finally tonight. I'm not sure what I think because it is so different from agility which I'm used to now..

Now that we've taken one I'm not so sure we needed classes, but we could use the distraction of other dogs.. It was fun, but really simple once you understood the signs and such.

You still thinking about taking Rally Petfriendly?

PetFriendly
January 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi There

Yes I am, but I'm going to wait until the spring/summer and will jsut try based on books. From what i gather, it won't be that hard, but given that the human member of our agility team (ME!) is having a hard time getting everything straight, I don't want to confuse my little brain more than I need to right now. :p

I would like to go and see a class, when its a little warmer maybe, and see if its fast paced enough. From the reading I've done, I don't think its quite our thing... But I'll give it a chance.

What do you think about it MafiaPrincess... Think you'll stick with it and go pro?

mafiaprincess
January 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
You know.. I like your approach better. I think, if I had seen a class I would have done it 'alone' without paying out for it.. It's certainly not hard. But Coder can do these things and is having an issue on the distraction of like 5 dogs. Poor attention and such, so the distraction is good to help teach.

I'm not sure I really like it, but we've had one class. I don't see us attempting to title in it though honestly. It's 'fun' because you can talk to your dog try to make it fun.. but it's slow paced and not fun the way agility is for me..

PetFriendly
January 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Both the dog and I are really liking agility. Charley doesn't even mind being tethered to the wall while the humans walk the course... (something that would normally cause him to whine) becausehe knows that he'll get to run a sequence or two if he waits patiently. He loves runing the sequences, loves it even more when he knows he's done well. He did well in obedience, but there was also lots of movement in that as well...
Someone has given me the info for a place at the other end of town that has classes, I'll go check them out, but its sounding like rally-o might be something we do to entertain the neighbours in the park... They must be bored of watching us practice re-call and remote downs... :D