Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Elderly cat moans a lot.

tuddyboluty
November 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
:cat: Hello, I have a very old cat, about 16 people years, and she moans a lot. Also, she vomitted a couple times last night.She eats, in fact she seems constantly hungry. She druels a lot also. She doesn't eat a lot of dry food, but its always available to her. I give her wet food 2 times a day. She does seem to be a little on the thinner side, although she is well fed. But she has never been a big or chubby cat. She uses the litter box regularly, but it doesn't seem to be over frequently. She did grow up as an outdoor/indoor cat but is now mostly indoors. Also, for the past year or so, she is the only animal in the house. I wonder if she is still lonely or possibly depressed. Do Cats get depressed? I was planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow, just to have her checked out. Does anyone have any advise about this? :shrug:
Thanks a lot and Happy Thanksgiving!
T.B. and Paco

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm certainly glad you are taking her to the vet. At 16 yr. old she should be having a check-up at twice a year and more often if warranted. If she's eating and losing weight she could have diabetes or hyperthyroidism. Also, her teeth may be infected if she's drooling. Good luck at the vet and please keep us posted. :fingerscr

Laurie1956
November 25th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I'll betcha it's her teeth if she's drooling, especially if the drool has an icky smell. But might be too much to put her through dental work if she has some type of illness now, on top of her age.

Do cats get depressed? I can only tell you that some years ago I had three "old men" and within a period of several months, each one of them passed on (one from kidney failure, one from heart failure and one from cancer). The kidney guy was the last one to go, and after each of the others, he raced around and around the house, then the yard, in circles, crying out. I'm sure he was looking for his pals. It's not like he hung out at their gravesites or anything, but he was all at loose ends. He recovered quickly though.

Moaning, crying out, etc. for no reason could be senility and/or heart disease (yup, heart failure can cause spells of howling for no reason -- check it out). You sound like you're doing what's best for kitty, so best of luck.

vfrohloff
November 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Hi, and welcome! I would also suspect that there's a problem with her teeth, especially since she's drooling and not eating the dry food so much. She could be vomiting because she's swallowing her food whole, again due to a sore mouth perhaps. It's a good sign that she's hungry though. I'm glad you're getting her checked out at the vet. Please keep us posted!

tuddyboluty
November 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM
So I took Paco to the ve on saturday morning. The vet spent all of 2 minutes with her so I am not completely confident in his work. He did say that she is just fine and she seems to be in good health. :thumbs up He felt around her organs and listened to her heart. He said there is not a problem feeding her the wet food and dry food, but yes, she does need some dental cleaning done since her gums are flared up. He said that I could get a blood panel done to see if there are any problems that are not visible. I can't really afford that this week so I will have to put it off for a bit. I figure that she will be able to handle the teeth cleaning. She is very mild mannered. She doesn't even need to go in a case, she just sits by me when we go out. I should also mention that his idea about why she moans is because she is responding to the other animals passing through the yard. "Trust me, you may not hear them but she does and there ARE other animals around." Well, I live in an appt. complex and I saw one cat near my patio for the first time in months. And I am not confident that her hearing is so great these days, or else she just really likes to ignore me. ha ha. That is a great possibility.
Thank you for the advise. I will be getting the dental work and the blood panel just as soon as possible. I will keep you updated. :cat:

Happy Holidays!

badger
November 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
The moaning might be connected to her teeth, certainly the drooling is. Ask the vet to check carefully when he is cleaning them to make sure there are no rotten ones that need to be pulled, or an abcess (this is probably routine but worth mentioning). Did he take her temperature?
That being said, particularly because she is a senior, and therefore more likely to have dental problems, I would have given your kitty a course of antbiotics in the interval, as a precaution. You might contact the vet and suggest it. If there is a latent infection, it needs to be taken care of before the surgery, when the vet will clear out any possible trouble spots.
I would also give her only wet food for now and for awhile after the dental work. If that it not possible, always moisten her dry food.

tuddyboluty
November 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thank you, I will definately be having her teeth taken care of as soon as possible. :D No the Vet did not take her tempurature. He didn't even weigh her. I went in on walk in day, since they didn't have open appointment soon enough. I am sure he felt rushed to get everyones pet looked at. At the same time he hardly spent any time looking at her. He was with us 2 minutes top. Well at least I didn't pay for it since I had a free first time exam coupon. That might be another reason that he spent little time with us. Regardless of the reason, :frustrated: I was not impressed and I will most likely take her somewhere else for the teeth cleaning. I hope that it is the only thing wrong with her. She is actually very active still and has little problems moving about. She can't jump up to the counters anymore (not so bad having her off the counters :) ) and i noticed a while back that she limped very slightly so I give her glucosamine join medacine with wet food a few times a week up to once a day. Thanks for the advise everyone. :fingerscr Hopefully I can afford the dental work soon and I will be sure to mention about looking for bad teeth and infections. I will keep you in touch!:pawprint:

tuddyboluty
December 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM
:yell: Well I had an appointment for Paco to get her teeth cleaned. I spent half a day researching to find the cheapest price and found a place that seemed to have a good price and possibilities of billing if it got really high with complications. They also refered me to an org. that gave me $50 voucher. I was pretty clear about how much I could spend, and asked as many specific questions as possible about how much it would cost. I was nervouse this morning but thought I was going to a nice place. I showed up and the girl there was pretty rude to me. then they showed me a bill of over 300 dollars when i was expecting 150 at the most. I didn't really feel like they had presented themselves truthfully over the phone, I got a completely different impression of them when i arived. I ended up taking my cat home right away. I am pretty bummed out about it. I don't know what to do now. most places are about 300-400 for general dental cleaning. i don't understand why it should cost so much. i love my kitty but it doesn't mean i have that kind of money. :sad:

badger
December 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM
What a drag. If you tell us where you live, maybe someone can pass on the name of a good, honest vet.

chico2
December 1st, 2006, 03:51 PM
Poor kitty,unfortunately at least here where I live,tethcleaning is $300+and if teeth need to be pulled the cost will be added.
However there is no question in my mind,that this kitty need her teeth done,imagine having a constant toothache.:sad:
If she's never had it done in 16yrs,she might have some seriously bad painful teeth.
Hopefully,you can find a vet,who is compassionate enough to let you pay in payments,it's very sad,when a kitty cannot get help,because of lack of money:sad:

joeysmama
December 1st, 2006, 04:25 PM
We had very high vet bills (thousands of dollars) when Joey was sick and have been paying them off for over a year now. But there is something called Care Credit which is what we used to get him the care he needed the day he needed it, and we've just been making the payments since then.

Ask about payment options and also ask people for recommendations on a good compassionate vet.

Laurie1956
December 2nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
I too have had thousands of dollars in vet bills over the years and have only been able to pay part at a time, but 300+$ for teeth cleaning sounds incredibly high.

LynLyn
December 2nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
my vet only charges $150, your price seems kinda high. i'm in montreal if that helps. pm me if you are too.

chico2
December 3rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Laurie,actually here $300 is on the lower scale,I know of vets who charge up to $600 here in Ontario.

badger
December 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Montreal (for once) seems to be a little cheaper in the teeth cleaning department, around 150$ for Badger, and that included an extraction (wrong tooth :( but never mind). 600 $ for a simple scaling/check-up? Disgusting.

chico2
December 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Wrong tooth:confused: poor kitty:D
I paid $345 to have Vinnies teeth cleaned this year,he had a clear showing of gingivitis.
Rocky on the other hand has only needed to have his teeth cleaned once and he's almost 12 yrs old,but it's his turn next.
We do one cat a year,but it all depends on how their teeth look,it's just like with humans,some have good teeth,others don't.
It's expensive,but I really have no choice,the vet says,it's because they are a state of the art vetclinic,with all the newest very expensive gadgets:confused:

rainbow
December 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
How's Paco? Did you find a vet to take her to? :fingerscr

vfrohloff
December 5th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I use a different vet than my regular one for teeth cleaning. She charges me $120 or so for a cat, $220 for my Greyhounds. My regular vet quoted me $725 to get my dog's teeth cleaned, for one dog! I prefer to use the regular vet for health problems and the other vet for maintenance issues like shots and teeth. Where do you live tuddyboluty?