Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Paralyzed Man Sues Over Dog Poop Fight

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/weird_news/16061740.htm

Man files complaint in dog feces dispute
Associated Press
HERMOSA BEACH, Calif. - A quadriplegic man has filed a complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court against the Hermosa Beach police claiming he was thrown to the ground after a dispute over who would pick up his dog's feces. David Nicholls said his civil rights were violated in August 2005 while he was walking his service dog along the beach.

The 43-year-old man claims he was first yelled at by a hotel employee for not picking up after his dog, a job he claims belonged to the hotel worker. The hotel worker then flagged down a police officer who told Nicholls to stop his wheelchair.

Accounts of what happened next differ in the police report and the lawsuit.

Nicholls claims he was forced to the ground by the officer but the police report states Nicholls fell from his chair onto the pavement during a struggle.

The incident triggered an internal investigation within the police department, but the outcome has not been revealed. Nicholls has been confined to a wheelchair since a 2002 skiing accident left him paralyzed.

The suit demands a jury trial and unspecified compensation.

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
:confused: good lordy... whatever happened to showing some kindness and compassion? Whatever happened to hotel workers doing the work they're paid to do? Why are police officers wrestling with quadriplegics?

I hope the hotel worker got canned. :frustrated:

dtbmnec
November 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I could understand if it was a person who wasn't disabled but come on!

*sigh* What idiots....

I'm on the disabled person's side...

Megan

~michelle~
November 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
i say if he can physically pick it up then he should do it (having a disability does not mean an excuse to put responsibility on to others) howver this man s a quadrapleigic confined to a wheelchair.... meaning HE PHYSICALLY CANNOT PICK UP HIS OWN DOGS EXCREMENT!!! people suck!

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Um... I just don't get it. Why was it the hotel worker's job? Does every hotel have pooper scoopers now?

I mean, sure, somebody should have helped if this guy couldn't do it himself, but I don't know if that's in the hotel worker's minimum wage job description on top of everything else they usually have to do.

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
i understood this happened on the hotel's property somewhere? if so... that would make sense... why else would a hotel worker get so upset, yell, call the cops if it's not in his jurisdiction?... :confused:

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I think good samaratin kinda thing should apply in an instance like that. Come on the guy could not physically do it. and its a service dog!!!
There are excusable instances for many things and IMO this is one of them.
Come on, seriously If I saw that man and his dog and the dog pooped I would have offered to pick it up! Or just done it for him when he was out of sight.
Give me a break, what the heck is wrong with society???

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
this brings up a question i had on my mind for a while... how do blind people pick up after their guide dogs? :confused:

LM1313
November 23rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Oddly, I was wondering just the other day how people who are in wheelchairs pick up after their dogs. I mean, yeah, some wheelchair-bound people can get out of their chairs and get back in them, but what about the ones who are physically unable to?

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Maybe as part of their training, helper doggies learn to never go ever... (sarcasm)

LM1313
November 23rd, 2006, 12:42 AM
"Fido, didn't I tell you to go before we left home? All right, we'll stop at the next gas station . . . " I suppose you could train a male dog to pee in the toilet if he balanced his front legs on the rim . . . but would he remember to put the lid down, flush, and wash his paws afterwards? :D

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM
lol Doubt it... He doesn't even wash his paws after stepping in his own poopies.:D

technodoll
November 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
people i'm serious :cool: are blind people given "a free pass" in regards to not picking up their service dog's poop in public? I can't imagine a disabled person on hands and knees in all kinds of weather, plastic bag in one hand, leash in another, patting and searching for that elusive pile... and where to dispose of it? they can't see where the garbage cans are, specially in unfamiliar neighborhoods? :confused:

Rottielover
November 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
The dogs are probably trained not to go off their property, they may have someone that pick up after them at home. That would make more sense

paula383
November 23rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
my mums guide dog never went when working, but i dont know if he was trained not too. :shrug: