Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is "tweeking"

crazyk1020
November 22nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
So yeah, I just spent the last 45 minutes outside chasing my biggest boy :frustrated: grrrrrrrrr. He has been bound and determined to get outside the last week or so, I don't know what gives. He has never been out before, he is strictly an indoor cat, and lately we can't turn out backs on him when we open a door. Why would he want to get out so badly? When he finally does escape he stops two feet out the door and freezes, he doesn't know what to do. It's like he's thinking...I want out, I need out, get me out....Oh s*%t I'm really out, now what?!?!?! :D I went to grab him tonight and he dove under my husbands truck and I spent the entirety of the time trying to coax him out :frustrated:, eventually poking with a broom sent him scurrying back into the garage where I cornered him and grabbed him. What gives???:confused: Does he need play time in the garage where he is almost out??? I don't like the idea of taking him out because I am afraid he will run, and even with a harness I am not really comfortable, I have seen cats escape from them and go running into the street :(

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
I have a houdini too and i know what you mean with trying to coax them... it doesnt work.

Floyd does everything you described, he was neutered late in life ( 2 years old) and I think he still remembers wanting out before... but now has no idea really why it is he wants to get out there.

Is yours neutered?

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
I am assuming he's neutered - did you adopt him at an age where he was neutered later in life? Is there anything happening in your household that may be affecting his behaviour? Are there new cats in the neighbourhood leaving their scent near your home, or even other small animals?

My cats HATE going outside this time of the year - they are Siamese and Sphynx so they get cold easily and are indoor babies. (likie most cats need to be these days anyway!) - but sometimes in the summer, my Siamese will get into things out in the back where we have a very secure enclosure for her. But she only goes out in her stroller or on a lwash. Have you leashed trained your kitty? Maybe you could take him for walks to satisfy him????

Just some thoughts....

Good luck!

crazyk1020
November 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah they are both neutered since, 14 weeks old. So I have no idea why Butch would all of a sudden want out now, he has shown no interest before these last couple of days, he and his brother are a little over a year old. His brother shows no interest in going outside. It is funny too, Butch won't eat raw foods when offered, he shows no interest. So what does he expect outdoors??? food will just show up cooked :D

crazyk1020
November 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Is there anything happening in your household that may be affecting his behaviour? Are there new cats in the neighbourhood leaving their scent near your home, or even other small animals?

Have you leashed trained your kitty? Maybe you could take him for walks to satisfy him????

There is nothing new going on in our home, same ole, same ole, and as far as new cats, non but the usual which are neighbors through the windows. I have never leash trained my kitties, I wouldn't even know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. :D

LM1313
November 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
A good way to start is to take the harness and leash out every day and immediately give the cats a treat. :) Don't put it on them, just let them sniff the harness and immediately give them treats. Gradually start rubbing the harness on them (petting them while holding the harness) and giving them treats. You can progress to draping the harness over their backs, then slipping it on without fastening it, then fastening it for one second before taking it off--all the while showering them with treats. :D Once the harness is actually on them, leave it on for a few minutes more every day until they're used to the feel of it, then start letting them drag a (very light) leash around for brief periods while supervising in order to make sure it doesn't get caught on anything.

I'm still working on getting the cats to follow ME when we go out on a leash, currently I just follow them around. :rolleyes: Also, I haven't mastered taking both cats out at once yet.

badger
November 22nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Does he get lots of playtime, with his brother or with you? I'm firmly convinved that some cats get bored more easily than others, and they think they might find it outside, especially if they've had a taste of it or were former strays. Try a bird feeder at one of your windows or laser pointer tag.

crazyk1020
November 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
oh we have bird feeders out two of our windows, they play all day, well of course unless it's nap time;), and i make a point of playing with them for at least 30 minutes every day of hard play time. He also plays fetch, and we play quite often :D. I don't know what got up his furry little butt. He has never spent any time outdoors, he and his brother were born in the shelter:(
so they were never on the streets. Today doesn't seem as bad, but that could just be because the house is full of wonderful turkey smells :D Thanks again for the tips on the leash and harness, I will try that this winter so maybe by next spring we can go out. Do they sell cat harnesses? One's that are especially for cats, that they can't get out of? Cuz he FREAKS when any loud truck or or the garbage truck goes by and I can't imagine what that would do to him if he was actually outside when they go by.