Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have you ever heard of Program???

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
I just read an article about fleas and it said there is this new stuff called Program which is an injection and lasts 6 months for fleas..

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
which leads me to my next question,i still feed Bob the stray outside and sit on the bench and pet him and stuff he also will rub on my legs socould i be bringing fleas into my home,my god do i have fleas then????

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Might want to ask your vet but I can tell you this,fleas are very feisty. When I moved in my house,it had been empty for 2-3 months. I moved in at the end of November (2 years ago) 2 weeks after that, my dogs got fleas. I never would have tought fleas could live in a empty,cold house for that long but they did! :mad:

coppperbelle
November 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yup, you can be bringing fleas home with you. They are resilient little guys.
As for the Program I believe I have seen a commercial about it but don't know anything else.

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Great well i dont know what to do about feeding bob,he is at our door all the time and if anything just really wants attention,i trued to spray him with the Hatrz flea stuff but he wont have it,so what do i do just stop feeding him and he will go away??Which will kill me to ignore him........

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Ok this flea thing is confusing,so if Roxy our kitten is treated and they cant live on her,will they just die in our house if their is no host to live on?????

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ok this flea thing is confusing,so if Roxy our kitten is treated and they cant live on her,will they just die in our house if their is no host to live on?????

I used Advantage (your cat is too young for this tough) and it does treat the whole house. All the fur that the animal looses is treated , therefor, treats the house. But you have to give it once a month and it's not for long term.

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
We have Revolution the vet gave us,which we do have to wait one more week to put on,we bathed her with warm water and a mild detergant,have not seen any more on her,so basically once she is treated and fleas are not on her,they will just die????(the ones that might be in the house) And i really want to know what you guys woudl do about the stray,i cannot take the risk of bringing fleas into our house,but ignoring him will be hard what woudl you do????????

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Maybe you could keep feeding him,but close the condo's door.Wash your hands when you get back in the house (even so,I think they can get on your clothes :eek: )

OntarioGreys
November 23rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Capstar which is available in the US thru the vet, could be used right away, it is an oral treatment and will kill the fleas within 4 hours of dosing but starts acting on the fleas in 30 minutes

http://www.capstar.novartis.us/cat/en/about.shtml

Esaunders
November 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Research the 6 month injection. I remember reading that there have been some really bad reactions to it.

Esaunders
November 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Sorry about that, I waas remembering issues with the 6 month heartworm injection treatment

Here's a good site to check out though

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/

LynLyn
November 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Both my cat and dog were on Program (until i found out that giving them a little bit of garlic every couple of weeks prevents fleas) and it worked great. My dog and cat did not have any reaction to the Program whatsoever.

My vet gave them the Program which he explained to me makes the fleas eggs infertile so if there are fleas it wont neccessarily kill them, but there wont be anymore. So he also gave them each some advantage to kill the big fleas.

It worked great (but so does the garlic so you may want to do some research on that)

brandynva
November 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
Do you just mix in a little raw chopped garlic into their food?

heidiho
November 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Thank you,geez i didnt know they will also jump on your clothes,great,i will check all that out..