Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whitening Listerine

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
:yuck: I had to buy some of this (cause im really obessive with my teeth) and try it....
First off it tastes HORRIBLE... and the peroxide is noticable, then when you spit it out ( after dealing with it for a minute) IT STAYS ON YOUR TEETH and keeps bubbling :yuck: SO tons of water later, you have to brush... and nothing tastes right afterwards. :yuck:

IN the back of my throat i can still taste the peroxide... Im gonna stick with the whitening strips thanks :yuck:

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
what?! i think you got a bad bottle or something :confused: i find it's almost tasteless, even pleasantly minty (and i'm fussy with tastes), it does froth up alot so you can't take a big mouthful, it's easy to swish around for 1 minute and after i've spit it out, i almost don't want to brush my teeth because it feels so clean and fresh... nothing bubbling or sticking to my teeth... maybe it depends on a person's "mouth chemistry"? :confused: wow... so sorry it's a bad experience for you... that just sucks :grouphug:

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
I definately had a horrible experience with it. :sad: I was sooo stoked about it too, thats what really sucks.
I mean new teeth things really "float my boat"
toothbrushes, hummingbirds, whitening stips, day and night toothpaste... Icould go on but its almost an obsession.

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I am a whitening junkie,and i have tried it all,and the ONLY one that works and works well for me at least are Crest White Strips Preimium PLus...They are the best.Can tell a difference by day two..

Puppyluv
November 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
the best combo is (imo): Crest white strips premium plus + crest vivid white toothpaste + crest vivid white night toothpaste.
vivid white (http://www.crest.com/products/vivid.jsp)

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm just gonna wait and get veneers one day... Can't stand even the slightest toothy sensitivity.:sick:

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks i will have to try that,a couple of years ago my dentist told me to lay off the whitening for awhile,i was really hooked doing it like every couple of months..I cant do anything without doing it excessively

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
The sensitivity is horrible ,if i can get past the first 2 days i am good

Byrd
November 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
I like the Listerine Whitening. If you think it's bad you should try true peroxide! :yuck:

I found no sensitivity with the Listerine, it actually seemed to reduce sensitivity.

dtbmnec
November 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
What I don't understand is how the whitening strips can be used by people with crooked/overlapping teeth...

I have wonky teeth and I don't think it would just work for me....it would look like I've only bothered whitening part of my teeth but not all of them...

Megan

CyberKitten
November 23rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Most of the stuff on the OTC market is junk - and the ingredients so weak that it would take literally months for your anyone's teeth to whiten. I am one of those dental phobia ppl but carpool with a pediatric dentist and he gets so upset and annoyed at these products - and he is a prof and works with kids - and in NS, most dental care is covered by MSI (NS version of Medicare) for children so it is not a financial reason for his feeling. If he wanted to make money, he had left teaching. <g>

One of the BEST products is baking soda. It works 10 x better than the strongest OTC stuff on the market or you can fo the a dentist and have your tenth cleaned. That's what I do - and I have a friend who has veneers. They are kind of the cheap way to cover your teeth or in the cases of ppl who do not have enuf bone to allow for dental implants. I feel like I have spent a small fortune on my teeth and they still annoy me. (But I wait too long to go to the dentist and am of that generation that grew up with horrible dentists who never used enuf novocaine (which is rarely used now) and started to drill (ughhhh!) even before the area was numbed. I have four dental implants and am happy with them but I had enough bone (amazingly) to allow for that but insurance does not cover it and it was $2,000 a tooth! (But I made sure my friend referred me to someone who understands ppl with dental phobia - there are 1 or 2 in Hfx - besides my friend, lol). I have a cousin who is a dentist but he does general dentistry and while he does have a TV you can watch while you are having your dental work done, I still have my dental work done by my pediatric dental friend - me and the kids.

He also works with many of my young patients since they cannot afford ANY infection at all!! And of course, wouldn't you know it, during my own chemo a few months ago, I developed tooth decay!!!

Now - in spite of my friend (who does do my dental work for free - he actually made a crown for me even tho that is not his thing, and it is still there, better than the ones I had as a child!), I disagree with him re lasers. I know they do not last and am familiar with the downside - which is why were not accepted by the Cdn Dental Society and British and and (and most dentists will refuse to do them). And of course, wouldn't you know it, during my own chemo a few months ago, I developed too th decay!!! But while he offered to do a root canal, I said you can argue all you like but I am going to visit my folks in Fla and my dad's dentist who uses laser therapy. He has a DDS from Harvard so we share an alma mater he comes from Chicago so understands cold weather too (hah tho our winter here has been great, last week, it was warmer here than it was where my parents are in Fla, how weird is that!) and he DOES LASERS. It took maybe all of 15 minutes and there was no pain or fuss. Now, I would NEVER recommend them for children since it is true they do not last and children's teeth are just growing. But for adults who do not care if they have to return in 10 yrs or so, and hate root canals (and there is a good case to be made against those horrid things). I had a couple teeth bonded with lasers and OMG, it was great. And not that expensive either!! (and that was taking into acct dif between US and Cdn dollar). Now, they did indeed come apart after about a decade (but that was just when lasers were 1st introduced so maybe the technique is being perfected?) but I did not mind returning. Plus, it was a good excuse to go to Florida in February, lol

Anyway - at the end of the day, save money and use baking soda. It works well for our furbabies too. (Tho none of my cars are all that fond of their dentals but I do not want my kitties with infected teeth!!) .

Here is a good explanation by a dentist:

http://www.drloos.com/Dental_Information/Adults/Are_Whitening_Toothpastes_Safe_A/

So many of the products have abrasive ingredients and this is not good. It creates small indentations which leads to cabvities and well you know where that leads. A stanup comic would say the person ends up with teeth that are just slightly whiter but brown because they are decayed. So, some ppl may think they are saving $$$ by not visiting their dentist (if you live near a dental school, there are reduced costs if that is a factor. Another little known suggestion is to go to an ER if you have a toothache on a weekend. The dentist on call- at least in some provinces- can only charge a certain rate for seeing you tho you will have to go to her or his office. So you do not pay the higher fee you would have if you called your dentist for an emergency. Granted, most insurance plans cover accidents but tooth decay is not considered an "accident".

I once had a tooth chipped by a tube inserted by an anesthesiologist (sighhhhh) - much to the amazement of my friends, I have a very small mouth, lol - and I had to visit the dentist on call and all he could charge me (or my insurance) was $25 at the time, maybe 15 yrs ago now. Had I chipped the tooth and waited until my own dentist was available, my insurance would have had to pay for the full fee, esp since I had to have a new crown.

I am uncertain how this works in other provinces though so check it out first if you do have a dental accident.

I really think if we are to truly have universal health care, basic dental care (and I do not mean cosmetic dentistry like veneers and bonding) should be covered by Medicare. Dental care impacts our overall health and I have met so many ppl who refuse to see a dentist because of the money. Potentially they - even without a med prob to start with - could cost the system more in the end if a dental infection led to something more serious. Here, it is covered for children and teenagers but that ends at adulthood when the govt assumes a parents' plan (if the student is in univ) or working and thus has dental insurance coverage.

Anyway, off my soapbox!!!

As for ppl with badly aligned teeth, they need to see an orthodontist and braces - many adults are getting braces now, They are not so full of metal as they were when I had braces as a child. But they also need to see their dentist once a year at the very least (I know the CDA says every 6 mos and I do that but not b/c I really love doing it. I think I'd prefer major surgery to a root canal).

dtbmnec
November 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
As for ppl with badly aligned teeth, they need to see an orthodontist and braces - many adults are getting braces now, They are not so full of metal as they were when I had braces as a child. But they also need to see their dentist once a year at the very least (I know the CDA says every 6 mos and I do that but not b/c I really love doing it. I think I'd prefer major surgery to a root canal).

Yeah that's going to have to wait until I get money or an insurance plan that will cover it. I asked a few friends how much it would cost and they said that it was somewhere in about $3000. I almost died at that price. Heck that would pay rent for a good while and bills! *sigh*

I don't need absolutely perfectly straight teeth I wouldn't mind them a bit straighter! I'll get it done eventually...

Megan

Hunter's_owner
November 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
I am one of those adults with braces.:(

I had to have jaw surgery last August because my top jaw wasn't as wide as my bottom. The surgery involved "breaking" the palate and i had to wear an expander in the roof of my mouth for 6 months or so and this had to be turned every day. so each day, my mouth was literally widened a little, which ended up amounting to quite a bit. SO I have had the braces on for over a year now, with another year or more to go:frustrated:
All in all it isn't too bad, but money wise:eek:

The surgery itself was covered by health insurance because it wasn't cosmetic, but it couldn't be done with me getting braces, which wasn't covered:rolleyes:
The final cost of just the braces is $5000, plus i got clear on the top so that is another $150. The x-rays and molds before the braces was $400. The consult with the surgeon involved more x-rays $400. I also had to get my wisdom teeth removed during the same surgery, and that wasn't completely covered by insurance $250.

So all in all, it has cost (and is still costing me) a LOT of money. But it had to be done because the jaw joint itself was affected.:shrug:

So I try to take really really good care of my teeth. After investing all this money into it, I expect them to last a lifetime:o

technodoll
November 23rd, 2006, 07:31 PM
holy cow, H.O.! :eek: that sounds so horrible... brrr. you are SUCH a trooper! :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
November 24th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah TD, it has been quite an experience. I never knew how much I liked crunching and chewing food, until I was on a liquid diet:eek:

Like my bf says it will all be worth it in the end (except he says it sarcastically:rolleyes: because he did not like how much pain, etc. i had to go through). Already my facial features have changed a little, I now have somewhat of a cheekbone:o . My top jaw has been widened, so it has made a difference. I am now really self conscious of my smile because it is so big!!! lol

But for the most part, the braces, and orthodontist is a cake walk, well except for the money:rolleyes: