Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bowser wet the bed!

LynLyn
November 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
Bowser sleeps in bed with me and a couple weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night to a HUGE puddle on the bed. Bowser was completely passed out in it and didn't know a thing until I started screaming at my boyfriend to help me remove the sheets.

I didn't really think anything of it at the time, I figured he found the perfect fire hydrant in his dream. I was slightly worried cause I know that dogs don't soil where they sleep but his bladder control during the day was fine and he didn't seem to be distressed in any way.

Well....last night, same thing, I woke up to a puddle, and Bowser woke up oblivious, in fact I think he was kinda excited cause I jumped up off the bed so quickly. Now I'm getting really worried. Why do you think he's peeing in his sleep? I'm pretty sure it's in his sleep cause if he had to go that bad he would've

a)woke me up or
b)jumped down and peed on the bedpost (he did that before he was houstrained)

Is it possible that he has an infection? (his bladder control is GREAT every other time though!! he held it for hours at our friends house yesterday!)

Is it psychological? We've somewhat recently (3 months) moved to Montreal from Vancouver and it's his first Montreal winter and it's quite chilly already.

I don't know!!! :yell: I'm worried about him, but he just seems so FINE and I feel like I'm going crazy!

ANY SUGGESTIONS? ANY AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED! EVEN THE MOST FAR OFF THINGS OK?

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
How old is he? Is he neutered?

In females, the obvious answer is spay incontinence (leaking when they sleep), and it does occur in neutered males, but it's much rarer.:shrug:

You might want to see a vet about it, in case it is a UTI, and if it isn't maybe Propalin will help.

Good luck. I know how frustrating that is.:o

Kristin7
November 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, please bring him in for a checkup. My last dog did that and it was because of her chronic kidney disease. Your dog could have an infection or worse. Peeing in their sleep is not at all normal and likely needs vet attention. I hope it is something easy to fix and my sympathies! I woke up in a puddle a few times before banning my dog from the bed. The first time I actually thought I might have done it as I'd never heard of a dog with that problem. That was the least of our worries once we found out why, though, so good luck to you!

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Any updates?:o

LynLyn
November 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM
update: well he's happy and healthy! The vet is actually quite pleased with his current weight gain.

as for the peeing in bed, he hasn't done it since, but nothing physical is causing him to do it.

I guess I'm going to have to assume that he found "The Perfect Fire Hydrant" in his dreams, even though I know that it's not normal for dogs to pee where they sleep, it's my best guess for now :shrug:

technodoll
November 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM
that's good news! but for future fire hydrant dreams, i would either buy rubber sheets or not let doggy sleep in the bed anymore :rolleyes: i think if i woke up to a puddle of dog urine in my bed i would have to throw the whole thing out, LOL! :yuck: (my mom said i never ever wet my bed... must be a pee-fear thing with me, ha ha!)

any photos of bowser? :dog:

Prin
November 25th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Good news. :) My doggies both peed a bit a couple times because of super nightmares... :o I'm glad yours was just a flukey thing.:)

LynLyn
November 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
that's good news! but for future fire hydrant dreams, i would either buy rubber sheets or not let doggy sleep in the bed anymore :rolleyes: i think if i woke up to a puddle of dog urine in my bed i would have to throw the whole thing out, LOL! :yuck: (my mom said i never ever wet my bed... must be a pee-fear thing with me, ha ha!)

any photos of bowser? :dog:

hehe after the post i told my boyfriend that bowser is no longer sleeping in the bed with us (i was quite convinced)

he lauged and made a million dollar bet with me that it wont last a week, it didn't, i managed two nights and right now he's next to me snoring.

hehe I'm thinking of putting doggy diapers on him at bedtime (rubber sheets? can't be very comfortable)

I'm on the boyfriends laptop, so I don't have any pics of bowser, but i have pics of him here...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33105

Prin
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks! I missed that one.:o

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm on the boyfriends laptop, so I don't have any pics of bowser, but i have pics of him here...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33105

oh THAT little cutie! :D whew so the puddle couldn't have been big enough to swim in, so that's good (he he he)! i think i meant a waterproof mattress cover, dunno how "rubber sheets" got in there. i am so tired tonight LOL! i can understand you forgave him and he's back in the bed... how are you going to pay your bf? :D

LynLyn
November 26th, 2006, 01:05 AM
oh THAT little cutie! :D whew so the puddle couldn't have been big enough to swim in, so that's good (he he he)! i think i meant a waterproof mattress cover, dunno how "rubber sheets" got in there. i am so tired tonight LOL! i can understand you forgave him and he's back in the bed... how are you going to pay your bf? :D

hehe he's actually in debt 47 million to me so he's really just digging himself out of the hole!:evil: