Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

goopy eye problem

silentinformer
November 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
My pit bull has recently developed an eye problem that is chronic. I was wondering if anyone has any advice the problem is that unless his eyes are washed daily he develops a greenish colored white goop that if it is left there mats the eye shut within two days. a vet looked at him and told us it wasn't anything serious just to continue what we were doing but it isn't getting any better. We think it might be a mite or something if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appeciated.

Silent

LynLyn
November 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
You may want to talk this one over with you vet first but I found that it TOTALLY works for me.

At the pharmacy you can pick up Polysporin eye drops, just give him 1-2 drops a day for about a week and it should clear it right up!

Good Luck

jessi76
November 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
conjunctivitis maybe? My dog had it, I used a warm facecloth to gently wipe, and then applied opthalmic ointment. which I'm sure is just like the Polysporin stuff. I used it for 7 full days. check w/ vet before using OTC medications though. always best to be safe than sorry.

vfrohloff
November 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm kind of surprised the vet didn't give you anything to put in the eyes. Greenish anything is a sign of infection and it doesn't usually go away on it's own. I wouldn't use anything on your dog without consulting a vet first, it could be dangerous.

Hunter's_owner
November 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I would consider consulting another vet:shrug:

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
I'm kind of surprised the vet didn't give you anything to put in the eyes. Greenish anything is a sign of infection and it doesn't usually go away on it's own. I wouldn't use anything on your dog without consulting a vet first, it could be dangerous.

I agree....definitely do not self-medicate without consulting your vet first.

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
I agree too! Find a new vet who will treat this problem properly.

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Just a thought--can you see the lashes on both lids? Could some of them be wrapping around and irritating the eyes?