Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy feeding

boskat
November 22nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
I have a gorgeous Boston puppy (Rio) who I adore. He was on Eukanuba when I got him at ten weeks.but he has never had a great appetite,but with some encouragement manage to get enough of it down him.When you stroke him he is very squirmy and tries to scratch himself. Had him checked for all parasites,but reading through all your comments on food I was impressed and wondered if you could advise as we may not carry your brands over here in England. A lot of Boston people here favour the BARF diet but I am concerned about feeding raw chicken A couple of weeks ago one of his ears was very red, so took him to vets to get it checked, she looked down his ear and said it was clean as a whistle,but redness didnt go. Changed him to Royal Canin mini junior,and redness seems less but I thought his squirmishness and red ear may be due to food Would welcome your input for my baby boy. When I learn how to I will put a pic of him on:

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
It would help if you told us what dog foods are available to you over there. Not the ones from the supermarket but the premium foods from a pet/feed store. If we can see the ingredients we can tell you what's good and what isn't.

boskat
November 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
The main ones seem to be Royal Canin,Purina,and Nutro,which of the ingredients do I have to look for when I am choosing,do any of you have any experience with the BARF diet and if so what do you think?:

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
I don't really like any of those foods. Some of the better choices are Canidae, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, Natural Balance, Wellness, Go Natural. Check out the following link to our dog food forum here. There is also a sub-forum there for feeding raw. If you have any questions post them there.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 04:23 AM
This is another excellent site to check out. Click on some of the other links on the left for further information.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

boskat
November 23rd, 2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks Rainbow will check out those links

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
This is also a good site where dog foods are rated: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
:shrug:

boskat
November 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
I followed your links Prin and I know we have Costco over here so am making enquiries whether they stock any of the foods you mentioned as the ones I linked to did not supply the UK. I did find a vet over here who does holistic therapies and has done a lot of work on raw feedin> I Emailed him and he sent me a link to download info on it I am a bit bothered about raw chicken and salmonella and some of the additives given to cattle these days,what do you think? He gave me a link to suppliers of prepacked raw food and I was surprised to know I had so many locally. Had just bought a 15kg bag of Royal Canin,but think it may be worth changing now to perhaps save on vet bills. Thanks for info will let you know how I go<just think all this time I thought I was feeding my babes the best as they are looked on as high quality:fingerscr

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I heard that Timberwolf Organics was starting to get into the UK (mayyybe.. not sure), so if you have any of their food over there, it's great.:)

Angies Man
November 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Check out the pet food forum (part of this bulletin board.)

As you may have guessed, this board is primarily Canadians, with some US folks. So if we recommend a brand, it may or may not be available where you live, and the formula may or may not be comparable to North American dog foods with the same brand name.

So get up to speed on reading labels--there are ingredients you want and then. . .

Some of the stuff you don't want:

Corn, corn meal, corn oil, corn starch, corn, corn, corn. Corn bad stuff for people, pets, cattle, pigs, lambs, & so on.

Added sugar, which may include corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, glucose, fructose, lactose, etc. No to artificial coloring & sweeteners, too. As with humans, sugar is just empty calories and a source of tooth decay.

Added animal fats are not a good thing--added fat calories are better from oily fish sources, canola oil, olive oil.

Beet pulp, which is what's left of sugar beets after the sugar is cooked out--used as a fiber source to harden stools.

Minimal wheat, soy, millet as starch sources, my reading is that they aren't terribly well digested by dogs. Potatoes, brown rice, sweet potatoes are considered better carbohydrate sources. from what I've read.

Bones and Raw Food BARF, is supposed to be best for a dog, but read up on it before you start, and go slow on switching over. Use digestive enzymes, food grade bone meal, and vitamin supplements--and work towards a very varied omnivore diet (meat, fish, & poultry, whole grains, veggies, nonfat dairy, & fruits.) Dairy in the form of nonfat, unsweetened live culture yogurt or skim milk, or nonfat cottage cheese. Fruits and veggies should be fed skins and all if possible. A BARF diet should paralell your human diet--with even fewer processed food sources (very little bread, for example) and no added seasonings. Actually a pretty healthy diet for people, too, which may give you the basic idea of BARF.

boskat
November 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks all of you for your input. The kibble I am feeding now has maize not corn,but does have beet. I think you have convinced me that raw is best and I am busy reading all I can. The holistic vet is called Nick Thompson and he is very pro raw feeding and makes up a vitamin and mineral liquid to supplement,what do you think?

boskat
November 24th, 2006, 06:53 AM
The Boston I have is a Boston Terrier a native American breed. They weigh about 10kg as an adult. When I learn how to I will post some pics of my little man,till then he is boxer shaped Pricked ears and is black and white. Looks like hes wearing a tux lol:clown:

OntarioGreys
November 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Animal fat from specified meat sources are okay

ingredient lest should not read "animal fat" but "chicken fat/oil, duck oil/fat " is ok

You might want to look into Burns thaey make a quality food
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/dog_food.htm

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 10:59 AM
boskat, check out the Raw Feeding section of the food forum, plenty of info & support there :highfive:

Bones and Raw Food BARF, is supposed to be best for a dog, but read up on it before you start, and go slow on switching over. Use digestive enzymes, food grade bone meal, and vitamin supplements--and work towards a very varied omnivore diet (meat, fish, & poultry, whole grains, veggies, nonfat dairy, & fruits.)

note: the point of a raw diet is to get *away* from grains (which are not part of a carnivore's natural diet) so most raw-feeders shun them. Very few fruits & veggies are needed, many people don't feed any at all with no drawbacks, same for dairy. no need for bone meal, all the calcium you need is included in the meaty bones you will feed (such as whole chickens, part by part) so basically it's super simple... come on to the raw forum and check it out, we also have videos and pictorials for your enjoyment :)

boskat
November 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks all of you for input I aam busy reading everything about diets.As I said he is not usually much interested i food but a friend visited the other day and she had got some raw chicken wings that she gives to her dog.She wanted to give Rio one but I didnt think he would be interested as he had just had a meal not lonf before,but he took it and I have never seen him so excited,he didnt want to eat it all as I think he was full,but he made us laugh cos he kept trying to bury it (under the wooden floor!!!) He went later and ate every bit

technodoll
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
boskat, sounds like we might have a new candidate for raw feeding here.. listen to your boy he's telling you something :thumbs up

boskat
December 2nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Just an update on Rio,I took your advice and have been skowly introducing him to a raw diet,and he LUVS IT!!!!,no more Mr Picky he is jumping around now when he sees me getting his food bowl its like I have a different little fur babe. Thanks all of you soooo much for taking time to give me advice. I am retired now so preparing is not a problem on a day to day basis but I was a bit worried how I would manage in the summer months as a friend and I spend a lot of time with our dogs travelling around in a touring caravan with limited facilities,but I found on one of the sites on raw feeding something called Natures Menu which is in pouches and wondered what you thought. It says"a complete meal with no artidicial ingredients,preservatives,colouring or flavouring. Chicken min46% lamb min23% rice min8% Vit A Vit D3 Vit E thats it . On the back of the pouch it says "We take a traditional view towards feeding dogs We ensure that our diets are prepared from fresh cuts of meat vegetables andwhole grain rice These fresh ingredients aregently cooked in the pouch holding in all the natural flavour. We are pleased that our customers support natural feeding and our commitment to provide a clear ingredient list demonstrates that Natures Menu is the real meat veg and rice diet" Wondered what you thought of this as a backup when I cant prepare his meal myself Thanks again from a verrrry happy Rio.s mom:highfive: