Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Very Sore and Tender After Shots

buddylee602
November 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Hello...my 3 month old puppy just got a set of 3 shots today. He did well taking them, not much of a struggle and just a little yelp when he got them. Everything seems to be fine with him, but his neck/shoulder area where they gave him the shots is very tender and he whimpers a bit when he stretches or if I pick him up. He's also been just kinda laying around the house and hasn't been too active. I feel sorry for my little friend and am kinda starting to worry a bit. I'm hoping he'll be better in the morning but I was just wondering if this is normal for some puppies to go through? He's a small dog, ShihTzu and only 3lbs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks to all! :pawprint:

Hunter's_owner
November 22nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure if this is a possible reaction to the vaccination or not:shrug:

Years ago, when I had a kitten, and she got her vaccinations, the next day she became very lazy, etc. When I called the vet, she said to bring her in, and it turned out that she had a reaction to the vaccine.

Maybe a call to the vet is in order, to describe what your puppy is doing, so that you can get his or her opinion on whether the puppy should be seen or not.

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
I agree. Call up the vet and explain everything and see what he/she says about it.

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
If he's not feeling better today definitely call the vet.

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Best bet is to take his temperature. When we got the Chi, Gypsy, vaccinated she was very stiff for 3 days and not at all happy to be picked up. She was also feeling a bit blechy from the vaccinations. As long as no fever is present and they are still drinking water and eating, then all should be fine.

wdawson
November 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
beathoven did the same things.......for him it was a guilt trip on me......vet checked him over and all seemed fine on the medical side......he never changed his eating or drinking habits.........but i did notice that the spot that beathoven gets his shots(left hind side,on the little white spot) was not as sore as the other side the next day.......then he was sore and limping on the other side.......vet checked him and no sore spot could be found........and no limping after the last vet visit.........i figure that he wanted to claim his spot on the sofa he still lays claim too:D
just to be safe though take him in to the vet.....you will feel better.

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 02:50 AM
How's your puppy doing? :fingerscr

buddylee602
November 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Sorry for not responding sooner. Been crazy busy with work and the thanksgiving holiday. I called the vet and they said that for a pup his size it would be normal for him to be pretty sore. The next day he did seem a bit more like himself. He was running around a bit but you could tell he was still sore and I had to be careful when petting his neck/shoulder area. As of now he's just fine! But he's scheduled for one more set of 3 shots in about 3 weeks...so at least now I'll know what to expect from him. Are there any pain killers or anything they could give a puppy after the shots?