Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disoriented Dog

Creed
November 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'm new to the forum, but I've been having an ongoing problem with my dog that has gotten worse in the last few days, I've already seen a couple of Vets and they can't figure anything out and I don't have the dough to send her for more specialized testing.
First off she is a 5-6 year old Female Husky/Australian Shepard mix.
So what happens is what I refer to as the Stevie Wonder, She gets disorientated and seems to lose her vision, her eyes are wide open (yet still respond to light) and she moves her head kinda like Stevie's just a bit dartier, while at the same time she is anxiously pacing and using her paws (and nose) to feel what is ahead of her. I haven't been able to pin down a trigger and the Stevie lasts for 30 minutes to an hour, and then she's fine. It may have a stress trigger, it happened numerous times over a period of about 4 days a year ago after we had a party at our house, which is when we took her to the vet and had the full work up and couldn't find anything. It hasn't happened from then until now and now it's about day 2 of it happening. It isn't constant and I can't figure out, all day she has been ok, and then we were getting in the car after her evening walk (on leash and didn't have a chance to eat anything) and it started up again.

Any help would be appreciated, it's very disconcerting when it happens, Thanks, Creedence

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Has your vet tried epilepsy drugs? :o

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Pitgrrl has a good response about seizures here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33085
:)

Creed
November 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
That sounds alot like what is going on, The vet looked into epilepsy/seizures before and ruled it out, but those descriptions sound alot like it, maybe I'll politely see if he could take a look again, thank