Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can canines use phenergan suppositories for nausea?

there4me247
November 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
I know that everybody is probably thinking take your dog to the Vet now! Our 10 yr. old mini poodle has had several bouts of pancreatitis, is blind, on insulin and has epilepsy. He can't take his seizure meds because it causes pancreatitis.....My husband had crushed his hand at work and is now layed off so finances are zilch. Our Cody has been in ill health for years (his mother abandoned him at birth because she knew something was wrong with him but our friends, who raised poodles, said they were going to let him die if we didn't take him. He has been the best dog but he has been so confused this past month and he hasn't wanted to eat anything these last few days. He will drink ice water a bit. Since we cannot afford another $1200 treatment we feel it is best to take him in tomorrow to have him put down. In the meantime I want to know if I can give him a phenergan suppository to help him with his nausea and to help him rest. My husband is in tears and I don't know what else to do. Even the kindest vets want a minimum of $150 down which is twice as much as we have right now. Thank you for your time. Please email me the answer at:******......I just don't want to give him one and be the cause of his death.

Blathach
November 21st, 2006, 09:35 PM
This thread will remain open for now with the hopes that some members can give you some additional help. However, we are not vets on this board and cannot diagnose anything over the internet nor do we support self-medicating.

erykah1310
November 21st, 2006, 10:18 PM
Im sorry to hear about your situation, I have no advice for the initial question but I just want to let you know that you will be in my thoughts :grouphug:

badger
November 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't give him anything not approved by the vet (you could phone him; if he has been treating your dog all along, I am sure he would be prepared to answer your question).
Sorry this is happening. Try not to feel guilty, you have given him ten good years.

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
I am sorry to hear about your dog. I don't know anything about phenergan suppositories but I know you can use anti-nauseant tablets that are available at the pharmacy. The ingredient is dimenhydrinate and use the children's dosage.

Hunter's_owner
November 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yes I have given my dog children's anti-nausea pills bought from the drug store with the advice of my vet before. But I would definetly check with a vet over the phone first to find out for sure if that would be okay.:shrug:
Sorry to hear what you are going through. Good luck with everything, and please keep us posted.

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Do you have an update for us? :fingerscr