Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poor old fella

midwayminx
November 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi I have a 16 year old male cat who has quite recently gone off his food, he is not without problems ie: bad teeth and high protien in his kidneys, he has regular 6 month checks by the vet because of this and is on tablets for the kidney problem but we have just got back from a 2 week holiday and wonder if this could be the result of that. My daughter looked after him while we were away and said he was ok. Does anyone have anything to input. Thanks.

heidiho
November 21st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Yes,take To Vetttttt!!!!!!!!!!

jawert1
November 21st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hi midway, welcome to the boards :) Sorry to hear about your kitty, a vet visit is likely in order since a cat not eating is generally a pretty good indication that something is wrong. Given what you mentioned about his kidney functions, I think you'll need to take him sooner rather than later. Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok, 16 is too young for a cat to be ill :) Keep us posted on how he fares.

midwayminx
November 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
yes I know you're right and I shall of course, it doesn't stop the worrying though, he will eat chicken and tuna but has completely gone off his own usual food.

Laurie1956
November 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM
He eats chicken and tuna, hm? But won't eat his "regular food?" Sounds like he is being a bit of a rascal, maybe miffed as you said that you went away!

Anyway, I've had many a cat with dental troubles (if they live long enough, they all seem to get these after awhile and usually mine end up with yearly dental work under anesthesia). Bad teeth can cause him to go off his food.

Let us know what the vet says!

Maya
November 22nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
At that age a visit to the vet is wise, things can turn bad fast. I guess the teeth that are bothering him can't come out due to the condition of his kidneys?? If he has bad teeth it probably hurts him to eat. My sixteen year old male kitty also had that problem and also didn't like his vet prescribed wet food. I gave in to his demands for dry crunchies and some of his other favorites but I regret it now. I know it had an impact on his health that resulted in my losing him much sooner. I couldn't afford to feed him well but if I could do it over I would look into something really healthy. I know he would have loved a raw food diet. There is quite a bit of information out there on diets specific to particular conditions. Something to think about if you'd like to improve his health/quality of life. Good luck, I hope you have some more good years with your old fella.