Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Un Oh.....we're moving!!!

Rob n Cody
November 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Eek! Moving again. I know how stressful it is on me, but my furry princess is even less of a fan. I have moved with her a couple of times before this, and have tried to alleviate the stress for her as much as possible, but she still gets freaked. She will get sulky, sometimes goes off her food and is generally anxious (whiny, follows me everywhere, doesn't want me out of her sight). She is a bit neurotic to begin with, so she gets super sensitive when her home is in upheaval.
Does anyone have any tips for me as to how I can reduce the impact our move has on her? I know she'll love the new place once she gets there, but the interim may be a bit of a challenge.
Thanks in advance
R

tenderfoot
November 22nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Instead of thinking of this as a problem think of it as an opportunity.

With change comes a chance to connect at a deeper level. You are the one constant in your dogs life. It should not matter where in the world you 2 are - you have each other. So up the level of communication you have before the move - ie do more work and create more structure. This will help to keep her mind busy and connected to you instead of the pending changes (she already knkows something is up). Then during the move and afterwards - keep up the structure and create lots of chances to work her mind. Even simple sits, downs and stays can keep her mind active. Plus the more you ask of her and she complies - the more calming chemicals are emitted in her brain and it naturally creates a calmer dog. The less structure you provide the more anxious she is likely to become and that can lead to depression and insecurity.

pitgrrl
November 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Having moved a few times with my dogs, I've found the thing that helps most is creating structure, like Tenderfoot posted, and keeping it as regular as possible through the move. Try to make the time to keep up with your regular walking, training, feeding etc. schedual.

Keeping a few of your dog's things out till the last minute, and unpacking them first will also give your dog some familiar objects and smells in your new place.