Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neuter incision in feral cat

vfrohloff
November 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM
I had Ted neutered yesterday and this morning I noticed that the incision is slightly open. I tried to trap him again so I could take him to the vet to have it looked at, but after yesterday he's not having anything to do with cages or traps. What should I do? The vet said that if I can't bring him in there's not much I can do about it except that if it starts to look infected they can give me antibiotics for him. I tried to clean it with a solution of half water half peroxide (vet said to do this), but will it heal on it's own or does it absolutely have to be restitched? The part of the incision that's open is not very big, and he doesn't seem bothered by it. I don't know what to do, has anyone else ever had this happen?

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
When my female cat (semi-feral when I rescued her) was spayed she broke one of her stitches. The vet said to just keep an eye on her and watch for infection. She healed fine and had no problems. Good luck with Ted. :fingerscr

badger
November 21st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I agree, just keep an eye on it. One of my cats healed fine from a blow to the back last fall. At that time, he was still living outside and I thought he wouldn't make it through the winter, the wound was about five inches long and he was drenched in blood, but lo and behold, he's living with me now and is a gorgeous, happy boy. His shoulder blades healed a bit out of alignment but it doesn't impede him in any way. If the animal is otherwise healthy, nature generally does take care of things.

jiorji
November 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
how big is it?
i know that even if it seems "open" it's actually not because they put stitches on the inside and then they glue it shut after the stiches, so there's actually nothing open to the inside of your cat's tummy. My cat had the same thing.(wow too many cases of open incisions lol) It didn't get infected. If your cat goes outside, until it closes up and heals i'd say to keep her in, and i know your vet told you this, but keep your hands away from there. If the cat squirms you might open up the wound more and get into more trouble. Also dirty hands don't go well with this stuff either.

in a week it'll close up by itself :)

vfrohloff
November 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. It seems fine today, not much swelling or redness and Ted's behavior is normal so I'm not too worried about it. If it was a female cat I'd be a little more concerned because the incision on females is larger to begin with. Jiorji, Ted is feral, so not much chance of me touching the incision even if I wanted to. :D I can't keep him inside, I'm still working on DH on that one so we'll have to see.

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
The vet I worked for didn't sew the boys up at all... :shrug: :o

BMDLuver
November 22nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
If you can get some Topagen spray from the vet, that's really all he needs. It will have it closed in about 3 days.

vfrohloff
November 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
It's completely closed up today, you can't even tell he's been recently snipped except for the decreased size of his parts. :D Now I just have his eyes to worry about. They are both very infected so the vet gave me some ointment to put in them twice a day for 10 days. He tolerates it well which is surprising for a cat who wouldn't even come within 10 feet of me a few months ago. I think the eyes are starting to improve but it's hard to tell if he has them closed because of the infection or because of the ointment. At any rate, they are much less goopy than they were a few days ago.

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Awww, poor Ted. :sad: I know your hubby won't let him in but does he have a sheltered place to stay? :fingerscr Keep working on your DH. :D

badger
November 24th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Tell him if he agrees to bringing Ted inside, you will actively look for a new home for him. Remind him of the possible vet bills if he stays outside (bites, infections). Set some kind of deadline, say three months (uh, six, eight, you might want to fudge on this part). I'm glad there were no more problems, except for his poor peepers.

vfrohloff
November 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I think DH is slowly coming around to the idea of Ted coming in the house. He doesn't like to admit it but he's a big softie and when it's -20 and windy out he'll feel bad for the poor guy. He also doesn't like the idea that I'm 7 months pregnant and I spend a half hour every night outside cuddling with Ted, he thinks I'll be cold if I do this every night in January :D I have built Ted a great styrofoam shelter lined with mylar and stuffed with straw. I put it under the back porch and then surrounded the porch with bales of straw so it's very windproof and probably quite warm. He's been living under there the past few weeks so I guess he likes it, but I'd prefer to have him inside. I am a bit worried about him spraying, being a former tomcat and all. He hasn't tried to bite me or anything, in fact he's the biggest mush of a cat I've ever met, but being pregnant I have to be cautious. I don't think I'd be able to get him into the house and into his room without him freaking, and after his trip to the vet this week I doubt if I can get him into a cage either. He won't go near anyone else so I'd have to be the one to bring him in. On warm days like this Ted lays out in the sun on the back porch so I leave the back door open so he can get used to the sounds and smells in our house. He has come into the kitchen a few times but only for a minute and then he goes back out. He doesn't seem to be very concerned with the other pets, but that could change if I brought him in full time. He may be more eager to come in the back door when it's really cold out, but for now I guess I'll just do the best I can. How do I post pics on here? I've been a member for a while and I've never posted a picture before. I have some good ones of Ted and my other furries.

badger
November 24th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Scroll down to manage attachments, then browse, which takes you to your picture directory, then open, which basically makes it available, then upload. You might want to re-size your pictures before you do any of this with a photo program such as Picture It or Microsoft Photo Editor; make them smaller because the board only accepts a certain number of pixels (?).
But please tell me where you got Mylar in Montreal, I've been searching high and low.
Ted sounds like he's got a pretty good set-up there! At the same time, you don't want to overburden yourself. Too many cats underfoot can be alot of work. I am not trying to persuade you NOT to bring him in, yes please do (and he sound like a stellar candidate), but not at the expense of your health. PS Daddy, sitting in the cold for a half an hour is not unhealthy, au contraire.

vfrohloff
November 25th, 2006, 09:42 AM
But please tell me where you got Mylar in Montreal, I've been searching high and low

I ordered it off Ebay. I don't know if there are different qualities of mylar but this stuff is just a thin sheet of shiny foil like material. I also searched all over Montreal for it and couldn't find any. :shrug: I think I paid about $4 with shipping included on Ebay. Well worth it IMO.

Yes, Ted does have a pretty good set up outside. Given the fact that he's at least 3 or 4 years old, even if he doesn't come inside this will still be his best winter yet. He's about doubled in size since I started feeding him (he weighs 13 lbs!), and he's been wormed so that should help him keep weight on for the winter. I'm trying to be realistic with regards to turning him into a house cat before it gets really cold out. Fact is, he won't let anyone else near him (including DH) so that's problem #1. He has come into the kitchen a few times but won't let me pick him up while he's in the house so I can't even stick him in a room to litter train him yet, so that's problem #2. Problem #3 is that he was only neutered this week and I'm concerned that he may try to spray in the house. We had a sprayer (:rip: Benson) and I never want to go through that again. It's not fair to DH either who has spent a lot of time renovating this house, only to have a cat pee all over it. So whether or not he can even live in a house remains to be seen. The other concern is for my other cats. I have some who are very particular about who they let into the house, and I'm not prepared to deal with screaming cat fights every night, especially with a new baby in the house. So for now I am letting him in the kitchen for a few minutes each day and we'll take it from there. At the very least it will give him a chance to warm up in the winter and have a warm meal.