Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found puppy on highway!

Showolf77
November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
Hello all... I am NOW a first time dog owner. I work night shift security, and while I was on patrol I witnessed what I believed to be a puppy crossing a four way intersection at three in the morning in 40 degree weather. Apon further inspection, and to my complete astonishment it WAS!! This was so sad to see, and when I stopped to get out of my truck he literally ran full speed at me, and jumped towards me. He was crying so much he could barely breathe, and shaking violently. Unbelievable but true.........

Well... His name is now "Ranger", he will never be alone again, and I have 3 important questions that I need to know.

1st --> His tail has for one reason or another lost all of it's fur completely. I have witnessed him biting it, and I wonder if he has chewed it all out due to stress? Or if it could be a skin ailment that may be itching him, and provoking him to bite his tail... His eyes, gums, teeth etc. seem fine, and other than the tail issue he appears to be healthy.

2nd --> What is he? A couple stopped to look at him at the park yesterday while me and my wife we were playing with him, and told us he has some "Pit bull" features. We agree, but also believe he is not a full blooded "Pit"....

3rd --> What do we need to do as far as shots etc, and in what time frame? I am guessing he's about 4-5 weeks old? Your help is appreciated!

* I have attached a few pics so you can see "RANGER".

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2820/1mq0.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/854/2lh5.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4835/4ra1.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5883/6jx0.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5999/5iv7.jpg

Hunter's_owner
November 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM
I would make an appointment to see a vet asap.
I am not sure what will happen vaccine wise, depends on his age, but if he is that young and away from his mother, then he isn't given immunity from his mother's milk either:shrug:
I would avoid a park, or place where he can come into contact with other animals, or their "droppings", etc until he is fully vaccinated. Some diseases such as parvo can be quite serious.
As for the tail, the vet should also be able to help you out with that.

Also, welcome to the forum, Ranger is very cute!

jawert1
November 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the forums :) A few things to answer your questions, perhaps not in order but you'll get the jist :)

1) He needs to be taken to the vet immediately for a thorough checkup, bloodwork, and health assessment. The missing fur on his tail could conceivably be mange - a skin disorder commonly found in very young puppies or dogs with a compromised immune system. Given the state in which you found him, I'd say he's got a whole lot of both going on.

2) The vet will give him his first round of vaccinations during your visit, and he'll be on a schedule for a second round a few weeks after. It is critical at this point that you not expose him to other dogs - so no more dog park until after the vet has examined him and given the first set of shots.

3) I personally don't agree with the Pittie assessment, it would seem many folks are ready to jump on that these days. He's brindle coloured, which could mean anything (it's common amongst many breeds). I will say this though, he's purebred cute! Also, puppies almost NEVER look like their adult sized selves (wdawson has a cutie that as a pup could've passed for a pointer but he isn't).

In any case, thanks for rescuing this lil guy, welcome to the boards and please keep us posted on how he does at the vet :)

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM
OMG... PEOPLE SUCK!!! :mad:

not you, for being an :angel: and stopping to actually help and then adopt this poor little fellow. it's a miracle he didn't get killed one way or another... he really was meant to find his way into your life. thank you for saving his life :pawprint:

i agree he needs to see a vet immediately, and be put on a good food to counter the stress and help him develop to his max. if he were any bigger i'd say you have an akita mix on your hands, he is marked exactly like a brindle one and at that age the ears are not yet erect and the tail is only starting to curl... see how he matures and post pix later, we'll be able to better tell.

what a cutie he is :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
He is absolutely gorgeous! How could anyone abandon him like that!?! :sad:

Definitely see a vet--he'll need to be checked out thoroughly and the vet can help you with nutritional questions.

Thank you for being an angel to this little angel.

Rottielover
November 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
looks like mange, but def have him see a vet as ap, vaccs, deworming, reg stuff for puppuies, but have him seen

Rob n Cody
November 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Bless you, Bless you, Bless you. What amazing people you are, and what a lucky puppy Ranger is to have found you
Definitely an immediate trip to the vet is in order....without knowing where he came from, and what he may have been exposed to since being abandoned (grrrr) would definitely be a good thing to get him checked out.
Best of luck, and keep us posted

paula383
November 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
im in love what a little cutie :cloud9: and u are a star thank you for taking this little cutie in :thumbs up

erykah1310
November 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
OMG, i cant believe some people, a puppy and a highway! Gee I wonder what will happen...
Too many times people just drive on when they see a dog on the highway, thanks for taking him and saving his life!
You're an :angel:

He's adorable and i dont think he really looks too much like a Pit mix, hard to tell at that agethough.

Showolf77
November 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Thank you all for your awesome assistance, and compliments on ranger! :thumbs up

Me and my wife agreed that he's going to the vet ASAP. I found a Vet that has been in business for over 20 years nearby that will do an exam for $27, which is great because money's tight right now.

Also... We are from Corpus Christi, Texas. The area where I found RANGER has several coyote's which I see every night on patrol. It's a miracle he was not caught by one of them, and instead was caught by ME! :eek:

Here's a small video that we took of Ranger at the park... It's funny because he really thinks he's doing something! Hahahahahaha......

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/16/384911/Ranger.mpg

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 11:08 AM
darn, the video won't download for me... :frustrated:

Showolf77
November 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
darn, the video won't download for me... :frustrated:

Right click/save? Wonder why it won't work? I tried it and it worked right away. :cool:

I use Windows Media Player 9.........

OntarioGreys
November 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
He is a cute little thing :D

At that age it is too hard to tell what he is, even a brindle greyhound puppy would look the same at that age, there has been several greyhounds that have escaped during transports from track when someone has tampered with the trailers or enroute to adoption agencies. Are you somewhere in the US by any chance? Just in case possibly it is a loose female, I can turn around and check the greyhound amber reports if I know what area he was found and see if somebody has lost one in the area.

Noticed the Texas after I posted, it is greyhound breeding territory one of my own greyhounds was a texas baby. Also some farmers have keep them as coyote hunters but I am going to do a check online

Angies Man
November 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I got the video to work, works just fine with Windows media player (I'm using Mozilla Firefox.)

He looks to me closer to 6 or 7 weeks--and it's still to early to figure out what he might be. Post a picture in another 6 or 7 weeks and what he is will become a lot clearer.

Congrats on saving this puppy. He sure is cute!:thumbs up :dog:

***It wasn't a demand, and he was under no pressure or obligation to provide the info requested--and certainly not in an open forum.

OntarioGreys
November 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
I did not any current listings of missing greys in the area that might have escape on route to adoption or from a foster home.

If it is part greyhound, then possibly from a female that escape from the corpus cristi track with another breed mating with her,

If you do want to check if any brindle greys escaped/got loose a few months ago you could try contacting the track, though there are likely greyhound breeding farms nearby as well the one could have escaped from if so could be purebred but a more recent escape, they may have heard of something

there is a chance there are more pups out there near where you found ranger

Corpus Christi Greyhound Track Adoption Program
P.O. Box 9087
Corpus Christi, TX 78469
Phone: 512-289-9333

Should Ranger prove to be a greyhound or grey mix puppy should know in a couple of months (real leggy pointy nose would look pretty much like an adult then ) and lots of wanting to run and should be a handful till he matures :rolleyes: , but once matured an excellent dog as a pet, you are going to want to get some help on possible medical needs(greyhounds have very unusual blood chemistries have special anesthesia needs and are sensitive to chemicals, many flea products can be deadly including flea collars ) and also you will need a special collar incase the neck become wider than the head he will slip out of regular dog collar and with general advice you can contact Cheryl King thru this page, just click on her name and you will want to crate train as soon as possible
http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/whoishot.htm I am sure in their 12 years of placing greyhounds they have dealt with a few puppies.

Rob n Cody
November 21st, 2006, 01:28 PM
LOL...only a couple of days, and you're already showing baby pics everywhere!!! You must be born doggie folk!! Let us know how his exam works out and best of luck

cpietra16
November 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
On the video, it looks like some of the fur grew back on the tail. Is that right or was i seeing things...anyway, he's so darn cute. I'm happy you got to him before the coyotes:thumbs up

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2006, 04:55 PM
OMG he is so cute! Thank you for rescuing this little guy. Please keep posting lots and lots of pictures!

Skryker
November 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
What an adorable little guy. You are a :dog: :angel: for rescuing him. Lucky Ranger! I love the combo of the brindle with the little white feet. :cloud9: Good luck at the vets. :fingerscr that he's got no major issues.

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ranger is absolutely adorable. :cloud9: Thanks for rescuing him :thumbs up and please keep us updated on his progress. :fingerscr And lots of pics is a must. :D

brandynva
November 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Good luck with little Ranger. And contrats on being a first time dog owner. They are lots of fun and worth the work! :cloud9: And puppies are soooooo cute!

jiorji
November 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww he's so cute:cloud9:

phoenix
November 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
he's really cute! he might be a boxer cross... the socks are what say that to me... and brindle is in that breed. My lab/boxer looked a lot like that as a puppy except color! What a sweet puppy. It made my heart break to hear he ran right to you! Poor little guy. COngrats on your rescue. :cloud9:

Shaykeija
November 21st, 2006, 09:19 PM
100% cutie patootie :cloud9: is now a recognized breed :p

Toonces
November 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
Ranger is adorable and very lucky to have found you. Hope all goes well at the vet.

angeldogs
November 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
What a cutie thanks for stopping and rescuing him.Hope all goes well at the vet.

BrendaSander
November 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thank you sooo much for rescuing Ranger. God will bless you and most likely Ranger will be there as your angel one day. All the best:angel: :angel:

OntarioGreys
November 22nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Just to show how hard it is to indentify a very young puppy by looks

and why I said could even possibly be a greyhound puppy there is a couple white and brindles in this litter

http://www.greyhoundangelsadoption.com/litter.jpg

dmc123
November 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Ranger is very cute! I hope the vet visit goes well.

He was lucky you stopped to check on him, and I think you are lucky you found him....

Best of luck.
Diane

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
I just saw the pics of Ranger and the only breed I could think of is cutie pie :p Thank you for saving his life ! :thumbs up

heyjude11
November 22nd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Bless you for opening your heart and home to Ranger. He is adorable!
Good luck with your new baby.

Showolf77
November 23rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone once again! He's doing well, and we just can't help falling in love with this little guy....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

(MAYBE IF I GIVE THE "PUPPY DOG EYES", I CAN GET SOME TURKEY!)
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6926/1aw7.jpg

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
(MAYBE IF I GIVE THE "PUPPY DOG EYES", I CAN GET SOME TURKEY!)
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6926/1aw7.jpg

OMG with that face, he should get the whole turkey ! :p just kidding,wouldn't want him to get :yuck: :sick:

HunterXHunter
November 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Oh wow, what a cutie :D He's very lucky to have you find him. Whoever left him out in the cold sucks. Thanks for saving the little fella :angel: .

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here about taking care of your first dog :thumbs up

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Aww, with those eyes he must have you wrapped around his little paws. :cloud9:

But, like Frenchy said, be careful not to give him very much turkey or anything else other than his dog food. He will end up with an upset tummy and diarreah :sick: ....especially at that age.

technodoll
November 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
showolf, why did you take out the photo of ranger sleeping with his Teddy? it was soooo adorable! :confused: i'm totally besotted with your puppy... can't wait to see what he grows up to be! it's "mystery puppy", LOL!

also, did the vet give him a clean bill of health? :fingerscr

Showolf77
November 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Here's a re-up of Ranger sleeping with his teddy bear, along with a few others that my wife took! :)

P.S. This little guy is super smart! My wife has already taught him to fetch a fake bone, and bring it back. He did it 5 times in front of me today!!

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9162/teddyyq6.jpg
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2527/2yi7.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7863/1vi2.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1074/4ty8.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4663/5vj3.jpg
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9465/6kj0.jpg

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
OMG,he is adorable,the thought of this little guy running around on a highway is horrible,but then his guardian angel showed up:angel: What a very lucky little pup:dog:
I hope you will stick with us and show us pics as he grows up,I am sure we are all curious as to what he'll look like:dog:

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 09:15 AM
oooh love the puppy photos! :cloud9: thank you for sharing the little guy... so how much does he weigh, and how old does the vet think he is? maybe with more info we can better guess what breed(s) he is :)

vfrohloff
November 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM
OMG, that honestly has to be the cutest puppy I've ever seen! You people are so fantastic for taking him in. :thumbs up I agree with OntarioGreys, he does look a bit like a Greyhound puppy. His jaw is a bit wider though so I'd say maybe a Greyhound/boxer mix? It's really hard to tell at this age what he could be. Good luck with Ranger, please keep us updated.

Showolf77
November 25th, 2006, 06:30 AM
He's 5lbs, 6-8 weeks old, He is suspected to be an Akita or Akita mix... The vet wants to see him again shortly, he is healthy. We also are curious as to what he's gonna look like when he's older!!

chico2
November 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Akitas are beautiful dogs,we have a couple here(Maika and Dakotah),great examples of the breed.
I am sooo happy he's a healthy little pup...more pics please:dog:

technodoll
November 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM
He's 5lbs, 6-8 weeks old,

hmm unless he's an akita mixed with another very small breed, then i wouldn't think so... an 8 week old make akita will weigh between 18-20 lbs on average (dakotah weighed 28 lbs at 10 weeks). maybe a greyhound or boxer mix?... how thick and plush is his coat? do you have a photo of Ranger standing so we can see his structure, how he holds his tail, etc? (any excuse to see more of him, LOL!) :) As he grows older it will be easier to tell.

Here is a litter of 7.5 week-old brindle akita puppies, to give you a better idea: www.moonlightakitas.com/tigerxrissy.htm

greaterdane
November 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Ranger sure is a cutie. Bless you for saving this little angel.

Is the one picture of him in a playpen with wood shavings?

angeldogs
November 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
good to hear everything went well at the vet.and i think somebody is wrapped around some little paws.with that face it wouldn't take much or to long.

Angies Man
November 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM
You have some fun times ahead (don't worry too much about the accidents, btw, it's a part of having a dog.) He'll need some chew toys soon, btw, my dogs have always liked nylabones as a first toy, & Angie (7 month Standard Poodle) loves a stuffed toy kitty and her "Cuz" A twisted rope toy, and tennis balls are pretty much mandetory basics.

Innoculating you a bit, he's really too young for any sort of training (other than learning his name, come, and maybe sit,) but work at being gentle with him--make him learning the limits a fun & rewarding thing. When you call him to 'Ranger, Come!' always act like it's a big deal and reward him with rubs & pats and loud "Good Boy, Ranger!" & "you're such a good boy! Training yourself to be the best (& first) thing in your dog's life is a big start on training your dog.

Showolf77
November 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
hmm unless he's an akita mixed with another very small breed, then i wouldn't think so... an 8 week old make akita will weigh between 18-20 lbs on average (dakotah weighed 28 lbs at 10 weeks). maybe a greyhound or boxer mix?... how thick and plush is his coat? do you have a photo of Ranger standing so we can see his structure, how he holds his tail, etc? (any excuse to see more of him, LOL!) :) As he grows older it will be easier to tell.

Here is a litter of 7.5 week-old brindle akita puppies, to give you a better idea: www.moonlightakitas.com/tigerxrissy.htm

Thanks for that link... Wow! It's so hard to get RANGER to stand in one spot for 1/2 a second right now. I do have this one that has him in his stance. Not sure if it helps, but it's the best I can do right now.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4584/img00005ph6.jpg

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for that link... Wow! It's so hard to get RANGER to stand in one spot for 1/2 a second right now. I do have this one that has him in his stance. Not sure if it helps, but it's the best I can do right now.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4584/img00005ph6.jpg

that is an excellent photo! and very hard to do with a wiggly puppy, i know :D so because if his small size and "rangy body" and head/ear shape, i would say he's definitely not an akita BUT he could well be an akita mix, his coat isn't flat so it's not a boxer/pit mix, he could have any of those brindle breeds though including greyhound... however not many coated breeds have the brindle pattern.

brindle coats follow a specific genetic pattern (the white socks, chest & belly and maybe tail tip are a giveaway) so you should look into breeds which brindle true. sooo curious to see what he'll grow up to look and act like... i sure hope you post his progress with lots of photos and weight/temperament updates. this little guy has absolutely stolen my heart :cloud9:

OntarioGreys
November 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Could even be a mastiff mix puppy
http://www.rockportmastiffs.com/images/rommell.gif

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
OG i doubt that... not a mastiff body type at all and at 6-8 weeks and only 5 lbs, way too small unless the mastiff was mixed with a very tiny furry counterpart :D

pitgrrl
November 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
that is an excellent photo! and very hard to do with a wiggly puppy, i know :D so because if his small size and "rangy body" and head/ear shape, i would say he's definitely not an akita BUT he could well be an akita mix, his coat isn't flat so it's not a boxer/pit mix, he could have any of those brindle breeds though including greyhound... however not many coated breeds have the brindle pattern.

I've seen some pretty fuzzy pit mix puppies, so ya never know.

It also seems worth considering what breeds are common in the area. For instance, the neighbourhood where I found my two had huge numbers of pitbulls and boxers, so although I don't know for sure that they're mixed with boxer it's a pretty good guess when you take their looks, temperment and location into account.

Showolf77
December 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM
RANGER UPDATE!!

Hey everyone... This little guy is getting BIGGER :thumbs up

I wanted to follow up with you on Rangers progress, and also submit a few new pictures of him. He is very happy, and his hair is growing back nicely on his tail which was almost completely bald when I rescued him! We still haven't a clue as to what he's gonna be, but time will tell we believe! Enjoy the pics, and take care!!

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785105/pets-and-animals/cute.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785111/pets-and-animals/tired.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785106/pets-and-animals/climb.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785107/pets-and-animals/drink.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785108/pets-and-animals/presents.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785109/pets-and-animals/scare.jpg

THIS ONE SHOWS THE NEW FUR ON HIS TAIL!
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/785110/pets-and-animals/tail.jpg

pitgrrl
December 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM
What a cutie! Looks like he's managed to totally suck you guys in :D

Skryker
December 16th, 2006, 10:53 AM
:cloud9: It's great to see Ranger looking so good! Congrats-you're doing a great job with him. :thumbs up

chico2
December 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM
He is sooo cute,I would get nothing done in the house with him around:dog:
Thank's for giving us updates,please keep it up,love to see what he grows up to be,right now he's just adorable.
His tail looks great now too:thumbs up

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for posting the pics of Ranger.....he is looking really good. :thumbs up I love the look in his eye in the "presents" pic. :D

TeriM
December 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Ranger is a very cute pup and looks like he is very much enjoying his angel family.

cpietra16
December 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
What a beautiful face:angel:

jawert1
December 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
he's sooooooooo cute, how can you even stand it!!?!!?! More please!! :D

Ronni52565
December 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Adorable!!!!!!!!!!

technodoll
December 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
awe love the little guy! :cloud9: still no idea what he could be but... suspecting some boxer in there.. he's a charmer all right! love that last pic the best!

Showolf77
December 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed the pics! Here's one that I just HAD to post.....

I snuck into the room, and had my camera in hand. Ranger was unaware that I was about to snap a picture, as he was playing with the cedar chips in his pen. One got stuck on his nose and............. TADA! Priceless... ;)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4986/cameraee0.jpg

mastifflover
December 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM
You are an angel and welcome to you and Ranger. He is too cute for words. I do not see Mastiff in him and his size is too small and he would weigh quite a bit more. But I think you will be able to tell more as he gets a little older but I would say really cute and keep posting we will eventually figure out what breed he is. I do not see pit in him either but I am sure because of his beautiful brindle coat that was a guess. You have gorgeous brindle baby

Hunter's_owner
December 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Glad everyone enjoyed the pics! Here's one that I just HAD to post.....

I snuck into the room, and had my camera in hand. Ranger was unaware that I was about to snap a picture, as he was playing with the cedar chips in his pen. One got stuck on his nose and............. TADA! Priceless... ;)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4986/cameraee0.jpg

I just got a quick question...Does Ranger try to eat the cedar chips?
I know both my dogs as puppies would have eaten a lot of wood chips if they had the chance, and Cassie still has to be kept away from things she shouldn't eat.:shrug:

Ranger is very very cute by the way:)

chico2
December 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
That pic is priceless,what a sweety:love: Lets hope he does not find the cedar-chips tasty:fingerscr

Showolf77
December 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM
No... Ranger has NEVER eaten any cedar chips. He has no interest in them whatsoever, so he's safe. However we are not....LOL! He is in his biting stage, and he's too busy trying to eat US! :D

:pray: Prays his biting stage ends REALLY quick!!!!

Dracko
December 21st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Lord, that is one cute puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting so many pictures. Please continue to do so. Glad to see the fur is growing back on his tail, too.

This dog was meant to be yours.

Showolf77
December 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks...I can't stop taking pictures of our little guy! I want as many "baby" pics as possible before he get's BIG! Here's my favorite...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7883/rangerheartsi9.jpg

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
He is just soooo adorable. :cloud9:

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Can't find anything other than ADORABLE ! :cloud9:

jawert1
December 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Showolf, please consider submitting some of his pics to cuteoverload.com, so the whole world can see this cuteness!!! I'm so glad he found you, your pictures and his progress are a nice reminder that every day miracles do happen :cloud9:

Showolf77
December 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks! I tried that "CUTEOVERLOAD.COM" site, but couldn't for the life of me find a way to submit a photo!

Here's a few new pics of our miracle guy, because everyone can't get enough of him...... Later!

CHRISTMAS EVE
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812780/pets-and-animals/5.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812781/pets-and-animals/6.jpg
CHRISTMAS MORNING
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812778/pets-and-animals/ch-1.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812779/pets-and-animals/ch-2.jpg

BATH TIME!
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812782/pets-and-animals/1.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812808/pets-and-animals/2.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812784/pets-and-animals/3.jpg

THIS ONE SHOWS HOW LONG HIS BODY'S GETTING!
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/812785/pets-and-animals/body.jpg

chico2
December 29th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Love the bathpics and captions:D animal abuse,animal
abuse!!!:)

MollysMommy
December 29th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I just want to squeeze him!!! He's so CUTE!

OntarioGreys
December 29th, 2006, 09:44 AM
LOL he is adorable, what a sweetie! with the way he is developing I believe it is safe to say there is no greyhound in him

we3beagles
December 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure with the brindle, but I see a little JRT everytime I look at him. He is such a gorgeous little guy and I see he is working his Jedi puppy tricks on you in the bathtub trying to get you to stop. What angels you are for saving his life. He will (and probably already has) reward you many times over for it.

Spirit
December 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I stumbled across this forum while searching for an answer regarding Drontal Plus, and got sucked into this thread.

What a CUUUUUTE puppy. I can't tell you what breed he is, but as I work with animal rescue and adoption, based on how he originally greeted you, I can tell you that this new family member will be 100% loyal to you (as most rescue dogs are).

I do feel the need to caution you on owning a large breed rescue dog though. Seeing as he was so young when found him, I don't see this being a problem, but some of them tend to become overly protective of their families. Just be aware signs if he starts to show jealousy or whatnot as he grows up.

Like I said, I can't tell you what breed he is, but if I had to guess, I would say there's likely a rottie, pitbull, boxer (though not likely), or maybe even a shepherd cross in there somewhere. As for being brindle, I've seen that in many breeds, that it's not even a factor.

However, knowing the breed can work to your advantage in future "problem solving" or preventing. For example... If Ranger has a strong prey/pack/fight/flight drive, a need to heard or retrieve/carry things, etc, it could be a genetic trait, and knowing this will help you understand how to tame it in a way that your dog will understand.

Whatever he is, he's just adorable, and I thank people like you for having the heart and compassion to take him into your home and love him the best way that you can. Right now we have 27 pit/lab puppies with no homes, and no room at the shelters, so from someone who has first hand experience dealing with such situations, I thank you.

roxieandsabrina
December 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM
He is just beautiful and OH soooo cute!!! Bless you for taking him in! You guys sound like WONDERFUL owners and I know he is so happy with you!

glasslass
December 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Your pics speak volumes! You're soooo bonded! Sweet to see!

Peepmouse
December 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Ranger is sooo adorable!!! He's the luckiest little guy to have found you that night!
Both of our pups (Pepper 15, and Cinder 8) are rescue dogs, and we wouldn't trade them for anything! Pepper at approx. 4 mths. was left chained to a house after the owners moved away, and Cinder was found abandoned in a box in a park at about 3 weeks of age. Both of them have the most wonderful dispositions, although Pepper suffers from separation anxiety, so instead of shredding everything in the house, as long as we leave some tissues in the bedroom wastebasket, she takes care of those, as well as the odd garbage bag! As far as determining what breed Ranger is, after 8 yrs, we're still trying to figure out exactly what Cinder is...
Have fun with him!:thumbs up:dog:

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I love the bath pictures !

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 01:16 AM
What a cutie. :cloud9:

I do feel the need to caution you on owning a large breed rescue dog though. Seeing as he was so young when found him, I don't see this being a problem, but some of them tend to become overly protective of their families. Just be aware signs if he starts to show jealousy or whatnot as he grows up.

And don't worry about him being a rescue. ;) I (and a ton of members here) have lots of proof that no matter where they come from, they can become amazing, loving pets that you can't live without.;)

BMDLuver
December 30th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Please don't take offense but this statement really bothers me. Large breeds are family loyal. A small dog can be the exact same way, right down to a 3lb chi or poodle. As with any size of dog, training, socialisation and intergration are the key. Whether the dog arrives as a 6 week old puppy or a 5 year old adult, size does not in any way play a factor nor does breed IMHO. Understanding the dog you have is key, not just what breed or size it is. Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm ranting, just know that so many people dump due to size and lack of training, etc..

Btw, Ranger is absolutely adorable but then I'm partial to brindles!

chico2
December 30th, 2006, 07:18 AM
We3Beagles,I did not want to sound like an ignorant cat-owner:D but Rangers little face looks very JRT'ish,the brindle though had to come from somewhere else....something really cute,though:dog:

Spirit
December 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Please don't take offense but this statement really bothers me. Large breeds are family loyal. A small dog can be the exact same way, right down to a 3lb chi or poodle. As with any size of dog, training, socialisation and intergration are the key. Whether the dog arrives as a 6 week old puppy or a 5 year old adult, size does not in any way play a factor nor does breed IMHO. Understanding the dog you have is key, not just what breed or size it is. Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm ranting, just know that so many people dump due to size and lack of training, etc..

None taken! My point was just that while small breeds have a tendancy to have "big dog syndrome" or even be more vicious (I trust large breeds MUCH more than small), large breeds will do much more damage if they become agressive or protective (d-uh).

And I do know how you feel. I see so many rescues come back because someone adopts them, spoils them rotten, then brings them back because the dog develops behavioral problems. It's really heartbreaking.

Certain situations/animals hit close to my heart, I guess. And you seem to have just a sweetheart of a dog there. No hard feelings.

:)

Prin
December 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM
None taken! My point was just that while small breeds have a tendancy to have "big dog syndrome" or even be more vicious (I trust large breeds MUCH more than small), large breeds will do much more damage if they become agressive or protective (d-uh). That has nothing to do with rescue. That's all socialization. You can get a dog from a breeder and without the right training and socialization it can get vicious and anti-social.

Please don't put all this on rescue dogs. Rescue dogs can turn out to be the most amazing dogs. There's no reason to not adopt a dog. No reason at all. :frustrated:

Spirit
December 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
That has nothing to do with rescue. That's all socialization. You can get a dog from a breeder and without the right training and socialization it can get vicious and anti-social.

Please don't put all this on rescue dogs. Rescue dogs can turn out to be the most amazing dogs. There's no reason to not adopt a dog. No reason at all. :frustrated:

Although you are 110% correct, you completely missed my point. I work with rescues and I know how amazing ALL of them can be (but there's a big reason for that). You can almost always spot a rescue dog and it's owner as they tend to have a stronger bond (and sometimes a greater appreciation) for their new "pack". I probably should not have said anything since your pup was so young anyway, so my apologies for that. This is a great thread though and I'm not going to ruin it by trying to explain it further.

Now post another recent picture already and give us a status update. :thumbs up

Showolf77
January 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone... Your support for RANGER is awesome! :thumbs up

I also must share a few short stories with you. Although RANGER is our first puppy, me and my wife are true rescue warriors...LOL! We also have (6) cats that are a blessing beyond words. I will introduce them now...

BANDIT (AKA - The good boy)
Our first cat. He was not an actual full rescue, but he was unwanted by his previous owner at an extremely young age. He became part of my wife's wedding gift in 2002!
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/823979/picture-hosting/bandit.jpg

OUR 4 MIRACLE BABIES (Smokey, Shadow, Brut, and Sissy)
Not even a week or so after we took in Bandit, I remember sleeping and my wife waking me up. She said she had something to show me, but I had to promise not to flip out! I promised, and she brings a big box near the bed. I look inside and didn't see anything because it was dark. She asked me to look closer... Then as I peeked way down to the bottom I could see 6 eyes looking up at me! I was like "Oh... dear Lord!" what now? This is what happened. She was on her way out the door to work one winter morning when we were living in Missouri, and as she was stepping off the stairs she witnessed this little head pop up on the side of the porch. Apon further inspection she discovered it was a freezing baby cat! She immediately ran inside to get something it could eat. Well... She placed food near the hole on the side of the cement porch, and waited. Smokey came out, and she grabbed him from her waiting place above. Then to her surprise she heard more meows from under the porch. She decided to miss work, and wait them out to catch them all. Another cat "Shadow" came out an hour later, and then "Brut" a half hour after. She was happy, because the temp that day was hovering between 5-10 degrees with a wind chill much less. These cats were freezing, starving, and their momma was nowhere in sight. She thought she heard one more cat, but it never came out that day. After showing me her rescued babies, she told me she would go back tomorrow just to make sure. The next day she caught the only female "Sissy"! We decided then to take them in and raise them with love, so they would be safe & together for life.

SMOKEY - THE LONG HAIRED ONE
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824000/picture-hosting/smokey-1.jpg
SHADOW - THE QUIET ONE
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824001/picture-hosting/shadow.jpg
BRUT - THE TUFF GUY!
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824004/picture-hosting/brut.jpg
SISSY - THE PRINCESS
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824006/picture-hosting/sissy.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824007/picture-hosting/sissy-muslim.jpg

THE UNEXPECTED BABY!
* We had agreed that 5 cats was our absolute limit, and it remained this was until Thanksgiving day 2005! We were still living in Missouri, and I was doing security work at an old chemical plant. It was another below freezing day, and I was on foot patrol throughout the plants buildings. I entered a small run down warehouse where chemicals were stored. While walking inside I could have sworn I recognized a cats "Meow", but more like a desperate "Cry". Having 5 cats I am in tune to things like that. For the life of me I could NOT determine where it was coming from. I looked for 10 minutes, and decided I had to resume patrols. Two hours later I am in the same warehouse, and hear the crying again. I followed it over to a couple big boxes on pallets, and watched to see if I could see anything. I was almost ready to give up when an extremely tiny head popped out from under the wooden pallet! It was a baby cat no more than a week or so old!! It appears he was abandoned by his mother. I could not leave him there no matter what I had to do I thought to myself. By this time I am just about frostbitten because this warehouse had broken walls and lots of openings allowing the 20mph wind to scream through it. I went back to my headquarters tograb some ham I had left over from lunch. I thought I could tempt him with the ham if he was indeed starving and catch him. I went back for a thrid time, and layed the ham pieces in front of the pallet. I waited about 25 minutes... He was crying non stop during this time. I could not stay much longer because it was almost shift change! I then decided to pray and ask GOD that if he wanted this baby to live & be happy make him come out now. Next thing I see is his head coming out from under the pallet!! I thought to myself "Now or never", and quickly grabbed him! He was scared, kicked & screamed, but I knew that if I let go he was a goner. I held on with all I had, and was able to get him and place him inside my coat. I got him back to the office, where it was warm. I brought him home, and he then became cat #6! My wife & myself nursed him with a pet baby bottle with mothers milk for a bit until he got stronger. We named him BUTTERBALL due to the fact I rescued him on Thanksgiving day.........

BUTTERBALL
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824031/picture-hosting/butterball-1.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824032/picture-hosting/butterball-2.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824033/picture-hosting/butterball-3.jpg
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824034/picture-hosting/butterball-5.jpg

Here's some shots I took the following day to show you the harsh environment where Butterball was abandoned! The temps were below zero with the wind chills....
THE WAREHOUSE
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/815830/picture-hosting/warehouse-1.jpg
THE BOXES
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/815831/picture-hosting/warehouse-2-jpg.jpg
THE HAM I USED TO GRAB BUTTERBALL FROM UNDER THE PALLET...LOL!
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/815832/picture-hosting/warehouse-3.jpg

OUR CAT FAMILY
This pic was taken before we got Butterball. My wife had to then photo edit "Butterball" into the picture because he was an unexpected new addition! They all accepted and looked after Butterball right away too, which was awesome. They are such a happy family.......
http://server5.pictiger.com/img/824036/picture-hosting/cats.jpg

Whew! That was a lot, but just wanted to share our other babies with you guys! Take care everyone, and I'll have more updated RANGER pics in the near future.......... :D

jawert1
January 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your furfamily and their stories, you've got a full house of black kitties (but for the two ginger babies), but they're all lovely and look so healthy and happy. :cloud9:

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
WOW ! Animals in need seem to find their way to you ! Thanks for being such a caring human ! :highfive:

Peepmouse
January 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Showolf you have the most beautiful animal family! How does Ranger get along with all the kitties? I imagine you have your hands full...:) :grouphug:

chico2
January 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Showolf,thank's for showing us your wonderful kitty-family and thank's for being a kitty-angel:angel:
I think Ranger might grow up thinking he is a kitty:D
How does he get along with the cats???

Mahealani770
January 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Did you ever find out why Ranger was missing the hair on his tail?