Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my lil girl is nipping like crazy!

andreajoy
November 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
i have a border collie, black lab mix. she's 3 months old and we just got her a little more than a week ago. she was fine for the first week..but now she's nipping at EVERYONE...including my toddler. it's the typical border collie nipping at the ankles...although she seems to like to nip my toddler most, (probably because of his quick, unpredictable movements.) she hasn't hurt anyone...but i'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to break this habit? everything i've read said that you let out a loud "OW" and walk away from her...but my toddler can't do this....

any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Thanks,
a

Shaykeija
November 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM
HMmmmmm Natural herding instinct?

erykah1310
November 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Im sure there is a way to deter this behavior but it can be hard because of the Border collie's strong strong herding instinct. Even though mixed with lab, this can prove to be a challenge.
And with a BC ( or mix) you have to kinda think like one, if a sheep ( which to your dog is what your toddler is, just with no wool) screams or cries and tries to ignore the dogs "orders" the dog may have to use force ie nipping the heels.
Does your dog give any stare down before nipping???

erykah1310
November 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM
everything i've read said that you let out a loud "OW" and walk away from her...but my toddler can't do this....

a

If you do this and your dog is indeed "herding" you, then all you could really be doing is challenging the dog into actually herding you. Be careful with things you read, not every breed of dog is the same nor will they react the same to certain training.
I would call a Border Collie breeder and see if they can point you in the direction of a good trainer who works with Borders.

angeldogs
November 21st, 2006, 03:12 AM
Jag at 16 months old was nipping and mouthing.Our O.B trainer usually only works with aggesive dogs.Jag is not aggesive.And she had us say ouch and not pull away because a puppy will lung back.And had us put a growl in the voice and be stearn with it and tell him no bite gentle.And after a month he's just about stopped.And when he does he's more gentle about his nipping.Good luck.