Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Acting Funny with New Baby in the home

eric_opp
November 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Well my wife and I adopted a black lab about 6 months ago, and she is about 3 yrs old now. We had a baby about 3 weeks ago, and my dog hasn't been the same. I still take her for walks every day, and all of that good stuff, but she doesn't get all of my attention like she used to. She won't eat much of her food, or drink much of her water. She hasn't peed in 24 hours, and when I try to get her out of her kennel she won't come. Even for treats. She acts like she is scared of me all the time, and she won't come when called very well either. But then other times she's perfectly good. It's like she has mood swings or something. I'm so confused. Has anyone else had any similar experiences or any words of wisdom?

Bushfire2000
November 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm wondering if you know her history? Maybe she had a bad experience in her past. We have a dog that we adopted when she was very little about 4 months old and it took 6 very long weeks before she'd let my HB near her and she still dosen't like men. It turned out that where she'd been the man who lived next door spent a lot of time yelling at the puppies.

At 2 & 1/2 years she could have had a bad experience regarding children maybe she just needs time to adjust.

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM
It might be the stess of a big change in your household but she sounds like she might be sick. Sometimes animals get sick after a stressful event. I'd get her in to the vet and make sure she's not acting "funny" due to illness. I'd be really worried about the fact she hasn't gone pee in 24 hrs.

badger
November 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
How much time does she spend in her crate? If she is suddenly relegated there more often, for no good reason, of course she doesn't get it.
You may think you are giving her the same amount of attention, but with a new baby, she probably feels a bit out in the cold, bumped down the pecking order. I would actively reassure her, make sure your walks are real walks, not quickies, and try to acknowledge her presence in all the inevitable confusion. As the others have said here, her early history may have something to do with her behaviour now.
Do take her to the vet, though. Not peeing is serious.
And she should definitely meet the baby (ps. the 'germ thing' is a myth. a cold nose to the cheek and the odd lick is actually healthy!).

Maya
November 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
How's she doing now? Any news? :dog: