Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Knee Surgery

rainbow
November 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Chase (my lab) has a cranial cruciate ligament injury. :sad: I know this is common but was wondering what surgeries are the best? Has anyone had the Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy done?

BMDLuver
November 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM
TPLO is the best as the ACL repair does not always end up permanently fixing the problem. It's definitely the surgery of choice but of course, more costly. My guy is going in on wednesday for a complete left hind rebuild and TPLO may be a part of it once they get in. I'm using an orthopedic surgeon at our local DMV.

Frenchy
November 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I know nothing about this but I'm so sorry for Chase,hope everything goes well :fingerscr And for your doggie too BMDluver :fingerscr

rainbow
November 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Frenchy, Thanks for the good wishes. :o

BMDLuver, Good luck on Wednesday. :fingerscr

After further discussions we are going to get the TPLO surgery done as well. Our lab is only 16 months old are very high energy so even though it is $$$$, it is our best option. We can't get it done locally as it is a patented procedure and only vets that have been licensed by the developer of the technique are permitted to perform the surgery. The closest vet is four hours away so travel/motel bills added to the cost. :sad:

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm

I like that website for surgery things, so I thought I'd pass it along... :o

Good luck. :grouphug:

technodoll
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
oh! no! :sad: that is my worst fear... happened to my male dobie years ago and the stupid vet screwed up the surgery, my dog limped for the rest of his life. but apparently it was a "rare occurence" - riiight :rolleyes:

the procedure has come a long way since and i'm sure chase will get the best vet care possible! :grouphug: to all of you and i send you healing prayers :)

angeldogs
November 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
Sorry to hear about Chase.hope everything goes well:fingerscr And for you to BMDLuver:fingerscr

TeriM
November 21st, 2006, 03:16 AM
Awww, so sorry to hear about Chase. If the surgery is in Vancouver then let me know and you can probably stay here if that would help.

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the :thumbs up wishes.

Prin,....that's a great website....thanks so much. ;)

Technodoll,....please don't tell me that was the TPLO surgery. :fingerscr

TeriM,....Thanks, but from what my vet said the surgery would cost quite a bit more in Vancouver or Calgary so that is why we would opt for going to Kelowna. :o

OntarioGreys
November 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Sorry to here but I agree the TPLO is definitely the way to go especially for bigger dogs, success rate is much greater and recovery period is much shorter, but in either type of surgery keeping the dogs from overdoing it is critical, What is it with this time of years and knee injuries???? Wet grass slip for your guys ????

If you don't mind me asking how much is it upto now I heard the price has gone up dramatically in the past 4 years. I was quoted $2500 for Callie 3 years ago unfortunately never did have as during the pre op xrays bone cancer was found

Best wishes in the surgeries for Chase and BMD's guy

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Chase is hurt, rainbow! There are 4 hands of :fingerscr 's and 24 crossed :pawprint: 's here for both you and BMDLuver, hoping everything goes well for everyone!

We've had some experience with orthopedic surgeries (though not with TPLO) and for us, the key to a successful outcome was all in the recovery--if you can keep them quiet for those first few critical weeks of healing...:thumbs up

We'll be thinking of you!

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM
If you don't mind me asking how much is it upto now I heard the price has gone up dramatically in the past 4 years. I was quoted $2500 for Callie 3 years ago unfortunately never did have as during the pre op xrays bone cancer was found.

My vet said it's about $3000 if we get it done in Kelowna. Our other options would be Vancouver or Calgary and she said they are more expensive there. She's not doing it as the procedure is patented and can only be performed by vets that have been trained and licensed by the developer of the technique. We have to drive to Kelowna and stay for a few days which will obviously add to the cost.

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM
We've had some experience with orthopedic surgeries (though not with TPLO) and for us, the key to a successful outcome was all in the recovery--if you can keep them quiet for those first few critical weeks of healing...:thumbs up

Yes, that is going to be the hardest part, as Chase and Logan are very high energy. I am having a hard time keeping them apart now as Chase has to rest as much as possible until we can get the surgery done.

It is soooo difficult letting them out one at a time when they want to play with each other. Or they will try and chase each other around the house. :frustrated:

KCamden
April 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
We unfortunately went through this, and we elected to go with the Tightrope/Traditional knee surgery, as our vet said that TPLO is usually best suited for large breeds. Our dog was 60lbs (overweight) at the time of her injury (she's down to 42-45lbs now). We're very happy with the type of surgery we chose. She's back to being her old self, running, playing, she's 8 years old now and she's as hyper as ever!

We wrote a blog about our experiences, check it out my profile if your in a similar situation or if you're interested.

Best of luck to all of you who have a pet with a CCL injury.