Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Designer Breeds

dogmelissa
November 20th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Oh, this is great. Or at least, I think it is. Mods, please delete (or move) if you don't think so.

http://www.grumpybumpers.com/dogs/

I'll admit, I didn't even take the test, cause I knew there was no way I'd get it right; they all look like mutts to me, and I have no idea where they came from!

I'm passing this link on to a few people I know who want to get a "breed"... one wants a schnoodle. Frankly I'd be embarrased to tell ppl I had a "schnoodle"!

Anyhow, enjoy!

Melissa

hazelrunpack
November 20th, 2006, 07:00 PM
thanks for the link, melissa--I have a friend who thinks labradoodles are the best thing since ice cream...maybe this will convince her she's wrong, since I can't :thumbs up

dogmelissa
November 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
She can think that all she wants, as long as she gets one from a rescue, not a "breeder"!!

hazelrunpack
November 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
She can think that all she wants, as long as she gets one from a rescue, not a "breeder"!!

That's what I'm hoping to convince her of! :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well I took the test and to my surprise on got one wrong, not any special talent I have with distinguishing byb dogs and shelter dogs ( same thing most of the time) It was just all guesses, its a great site though, there is no way to tell the difference.

technodoll
November 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
i had seen this site before and have been looking for it since - thanks for posting! I GOT ALL OF THEM WRONG! see? see? that proves the point, right? :dog:

FelineFatale
November 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM
those dogs are a joke. not purebreds at all! :yuck:

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
lol the thing about this "quiz" is that the expect you to pick the uglier dog or less clean dog as the shelter dog, when it's really the breeder dog.;)

FelineFatale, I think that's the point. Designer dogs aren't any breed at all. They're just mutts.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
your right I picked the less clean looking dog as the shelter dog - but only got 57% :D

Melinda
November 21st, 2006, 06:19 AM
I had one wrong...I went by the backgrounds....

Hunter's_owner
November 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
I used the backgrounds as well, and got 2 wrong. But yeah, there really is no way to tell the difference...so much for "designer dogs":rolleyes: :frustrated:

dogmelissa
November 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
I also got 57%....

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it at least.... I honestly don't think that there's any *way* to judge, picking the "scruffy" looking one, or by guessing based on the background.... it's still a 50/50 chance, and a total guess.

I sent the link to a friend of mine who said she wants to get a schnoodle.... I found an ad on Kiiji (sp?) for a schnoodle... $650 and all it includes is pre-arranged torture to a puppy (docked tails) and a "vet check". Then I went on a search, and though I couldn't find any schnoodles in rescue anywhere in Alberta, I found some supremely cute puppies of mixed parentage.... I hope that seeing those pictures (of the other puppies) and the info that goes with them (ie, what's included in their adoption fee) will help convince her to get a rescue dog.

hazel; if you want me to email you the message I sent to her (it's in my sent box), PM me with your email address. It might not convince her, but it can't hurt.

Melissa

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Gawd, I managed 100% but I am sure it's a fluke. I found it hard to tell frankly!!

But tell your friend she can find a great designer dog at any shelter - they are all mixed breeds. I still do not get why anyone would want a designer dog- unless they are given into terrible trends, do not read or research prior to buying a dog and are naive enough to believe what these so called "breeders" are telling them.

Angies Man
November 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
lol the thing about this "quiz" is that the expect you to pick the uglier dog or less clean dog as the shelter dog, when it's really the breeder dog.;)

You're on to something. If you think about it, the shelter is going to doll the dog up a bit--clean it up, brush it, and in general make it a presentable as possible.

The give away is the presence of tags. Shelter dogs more than likely won't have tags hanging from their collars.

I thought the labradoodles and golden watchaoodles were pretty attractive looking dogs--if I were looking for a pet, these dogs would certainly get me in the shelter doors for a look.

Btw, I got one wrong.

dogmelissa
November 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
I was trying to look past the scenery, tags, etc... I was assuming these were pictures taken of the dogs in the homes of their families, after they'd left either the breeder or the shelter. Tags are not necessarily a sign of a shelter-animal, as dogs from breeders are still required to be licensed & vaccinated for rabies, regardless of whether they're show dogs or not. And not all shelters can afford the time or money to clean up a dog, which again is part of the assumption I made; that these are pictures taken after the dog is with their family.

:shrug:

I dunno... I don't really care how people scored on it, just wanted to get the discussion back out there, and possibly save a life and someone a few bucks.

I hope it worked.

Melissa

Edited to add: after searching around a little bit (there's a mutt registry??), turns out I have the joy of a Jatese companion: Cube is a Maltese x Japanese Chin... personally I would have called his mix a Malchin or Japese... the thought even crossed my mind that Chinese would work, but I don't think that'd fly. Funny, though... this is their example of a Jatese: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/Jatesesofie12.JPG
and here is what my dog looks like: http://tinyurl.com/y3mdxy (hope the link works)

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
I dunno... I don't really care how people scored on it, just wanted to get the discussion back out there, and possibly save a life and someone a few bucks.
Sorry, but I'm confused. With all the resources on designer dogs out there, why, if you don't care, did you post a quiz? Saying the above is sort of like saying, "Nothing in this thread matters but my post," which IMO, is pretty rude.:shrug:

dogmelissa
November 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
The score is not the important part--someone scoring 100% or only 5% doesn't necessarily mean anything. The point of the quiz isn't about the score, it's about proving that you can't tell a "designer breed" dog apart whether it was adopted from a shelter or purchased from a "breeder". The important part of the quiz is making people aware of that fact.

I didn't want people to think that their score mattered, because I know some people are sensitive when things are "graded" that if they didn't get 100% or didn't get as high as someone else, they feel inadequate, stupid, whatever. I did NOT want people to feel that way, and that is why I said that the scores didn't matter.

So, for future posts in this thread, please don't post your score.

:offtopic: Prin; if you feel that I'm being rude (or any other individual for that matter), please send a PM rather than posting it in the thread. It not only changes the topic of the discussion, but also makes the person who said the thing that you think is rude feel like their input, presence and concern for saving animals lives (and people's money) are not welcome in the forums.

Melissa

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
but also makes the person who said the thing that you think is rude feel like their input, presence and concern for saving animals lives (and people's money) are not welcome in the forums. Sorry, but that is how you made us all feel with your "I don't care" comment. Sensitivity goes both ways, I guess.

Back to the subject at hand..:shrug:

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
http://foolstown.com/sm/kap.gif

Angies Man
November 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
http://foolstown.com/sm/kap.gif

On the whole subject.

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I've seen tons of Labradoodles here in Oakville,seems to be a very popular"mutt".
The strangest thing though,some are huge,maybe more St Poodle and others are much smaller,maybe more Lab,but they all have(at least the many I've seen) kind of curly blond hair:confused:

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I have to agree with Prin here - and I am not one who takes things literally and understood your point (I do not think I have intellectual difficulties tho on occasion...lol). We have discussed this issue often on this site and you are preaching to the converted by why ask us the question if you don't care. With respect, I would not have wasted my time - which I have little of - to respond, sigh. If you did not want my result (and if you look at how the site works, we almost always post our results of quizzes, regardless of how weird some of them are - they are usually something to make our day a little more cheerful.) There is an old (speaking of traditions, that online netiquette requires one lurk and learn how boards and chat rooms (not that I frequent chat rooms tho I monitor one for a pediatric medical site) operate before posting. Maybe I am a traditionalist at heart but I really think kindness trumps rudeness every time when one needs to make a point.

Who cares if anyone posted their result? Why even make any comment? Just let people respond the way they feel. You may not care about the result but you did post the quiz and others may be interested - and it is not for me or you to judge why that may be. We are all unique different individuals.

We do try to be thoughtful and kind to one another here and I think in our loves from what I see of the people who regularly discuss their furbabies and lives here. (Just like the posters in my office suggest, :) )

I agree with your premise - designer breeds are simply mixed breeds. And the folks who sell them are just byb, no better than any of the other byb even if maybe some are a little gentler on their animals, They are still risking their dog's health and lying to people.

Pike
November 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
This thread has run it's course, please do not reopen in a new thread.