Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

assistance dogs

~michelle~
November 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM
i was just watching gobal news and it had a paillion (sp?) being trained as an assistance dog for the deaf! thats so neat I've never seen a toy dog as an assistance dog :) it was sad though they we're talking about how assistance dogs donot get the same respect as a seeing eye dog, and that alot of stores/cab etc dont realize that they are not allowed to turn them away!!! wow i really didnt think ppl were so ignorant to that!

Amy's Mom
November 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I saw the shot as well. Here in BC we quite often have problems with people/storeowners acknowledging that little dogs can be assistance dogs even if they are wearing the capes or vests and not allowing them into the stores.

Somehow we need to let the business people that just because the person doesn't seem disabled doesn't mean they aren't and don't need the help of a service dog. As a person with an invisible disability, I do use a service dog, that is Amy. She helps to let me know when my strength is flagging and when I am going to need to sit down before I realize it.

It would be nice also if there was a country wide policy for assistance dogs of all kinds, not just provincial or local. I don't know what else we can do except let people know that all kinds of dogs can be service dogs.

:sorry: if I seem intense about this but this is an area that is close to my heart and have been dealing with this on behalf of others, never expecting I would be using an assistance dog myself.:)

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Somehow we need to let the business people that just because the person doesn't seem disabled doesn't mean they aren't and don't need the help of a service dog. I agree. I've also heard before about people's cars getting keyed or vandalized while parked in a handicapped spot because the people with the disability didn't look "disabled enough". Just sad. :sad: