Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Discolored tongue ...

JanM
November 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know the most probable cause of a tongue that has become darker than normal? It isn't black - just darker than normal. There is no change in behaviour, eating or any of his functions... Any info would be appreciated!

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Darker toward purpley-blue? That would indicate poor circulation for some reason.:shrug:

JanM
November 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Yes - purpley blue hits the colour! I couldn't find the words to describe it! Thank you - now I have some clue on what to get the vet to look for!

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I dont get it,"you now know what to tell the vet to look for":p :p !!! I think when the vet sees the tongue they will be able to figure it out...

rainbow
November 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I certainly hope so.

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
heidiho, the stupid is a very bad virus that even infects people wearing white coats.:o I'm jaded though I don't trust anyone.:) Sometimes you do have to point vets in the right direction or tell them what to do.

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I trust no one either,very jaded...I just had to comment on this,to tempting

JanM
November 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well, you see - I had Bobby in a couple of months ago for the same problem but they couldn't find anything - so this time I'm preparing before we go in.
When I phoned them this morning asking for information on pancreatitis (sp?) because someone told me it could be a possibility - so I asked for info on the symptoms - the girl in the office was busy telling me they couldn't make a diagnosis over the phone... it took a while before I convinced her I only wanted information! Anyway, his tongue has now returned to normal colour so I'll watch him carefully and see what, if anything, else develops..

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I Really Dont Get It,if The Tongue Is Discolored Of Course The Vet Will See It,so How Are You Preparing??i Really Am Just Trying To Understand What I Am Missing Here

jawert1
November 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Jan, thank you for taking some time to ask questions about your pet before you go to the vet. The best animal owners OFTEN seek external opinions prior to running off to the vet - if for no other reason than to be armed to the teeth with as much information as possible, both factual and anecdotal (my shepherd has a bi-colored tongue, something I wondered was normal at first). It's a shame that you've been grilled as though you weren't asking valid questions - not everyone here is so "jaded" or mistrusting. Good luck and please let us know how your dog does at the vet.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know why it happens to some dogs- my dad's dog's gums were pretty blue one day. It was pretty scary. I don't know if it's a drop in blood pressure or just a weaker heart, maybe...:shrug:

Good luck! :)

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Jan, thank you for taking some time to ask questions about your pet before you go to the vet. The best animal owners OFTEN seek external opinions prior to running off to the vet - if for no other reason than to be armed to the teeth with as much information as possible, both factual and anecdotal (my shepherd has a bi-colored tongue, something I wondered was normal at first). It's a shame that you've been grilled as though you weren't asking valid questions - not everyone here is so "jaded" or mistrusting. Good luck and please let us know how your dog does at the vet.

Thank you for explaining that. I hope I wasn't miss-understood. I was trying to point out that sometimes you need to point the vet in the right direction or even tell them what you want them to do. This is because stupid people are everywhere even your vet can be "stupid" or simply miss something, be to busy to notice etc..

It's nice to see when someone takes responsibility for their pets health and doesn't leave it all in the hands of the vet.

Good luck JanM, I hope it's nothing serious.:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
November 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
If it was just a splash of colour on the tongue rather than affecting the whole tongue it could be just pigmentation (basically a large freckle) http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/blacktongue.htm

Another reason a deficiency of niacin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tongue

other cause is an oxygen deficiency

JanM
November 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Thank you everyone - I did not take offense at any of the comments - perhaps I didn't explain things very well. Bobby did have a discoloured tongue once when I took him in - they couldn't explain it. This time, yes, I am trying to find out possibilities before I go and, thanks to one kind person who suggested a lack of circulation as a **possibility**, I can now ask the vet to please check his thyroid. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to participate..