Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new vet and teeth cleaning

dogcatharmony
November 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
i found a new vet to take my kitties to, my old vet had me raising my eyebrows about a few things. This new vet said my big old boy amos needs his teeth cleaned ( he goes in on thursday), he is developing a big old grumpy chin( put the best pic up that i have of it). My old vet never really looked at the teeth, a quick peek and that was it, but this vet said "teeth scaling" is included in the yearly check up. Is this the same procedure that us humans go to have done? Has anyone had this done........i would just like some info to calm my nerves, I hate dentists and now my poor baby has to go

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Dch,I have three cats and we have one cat a year done,because of the cost,$400 incl bloodwork.
Your kitty will be fine,it's very important to prevent Gingivitis,which can lead to other healthproblems.
Of course there is always a risk,they have to be anesthizised(sp?),but my cats have always been ok after.
My vet is always pushing for teeth-cleaning,but I told her we'll do one cat a year,many cats have perfectly good teeth,but others don't just like humans.
I have never heard it should be included in the yearly check-up,it would mean it could cost me $2.000 for their check-ups:frustrated:

dogcatharmony
November 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM
i think she meant checking their teeth was a part of the yearly check up seeing I made another appt for his teeth. This is my parents animals vet and my mother said that her cats get the plaque taken off their teeth at every check up. My big cats teeth in the front are almost covered up by the swelling of his lip( in the picture i posted the little black dot is actually on his gums and then the rest of his chin is swollen and hangs down) so i don't imagine that the work he needs is going to be a freebie, im just glad i found a vet that takes the time to actually check the whole animal, not just ask if anything was abnormal and give the needles and out the door with you. my two cats are nine now, and i would like a vet that makes sure they are overall healthy.

chico2
November 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Sorry,I missunderstood,but it's a given that teeth should be checked every check up.
Amos chin looks really sore,it's very possible there is a problem with his teeth.
It's usually the tiny teeth that cause problems,the fangs are often nice and clean.
Also if Amos has never had his teeth scaled,at nine yrs old,it's probably way passed time..:cat:

Mikey&Simba
December 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
hiya - I've had many cats and, just like humans, some have good gums and teeth while others have major problems. I've changed Vets many times, too, because some of them recommend dentistry every year for every cat even though, just by looking, I could see one needing it and the other two - not at all.

Yes, it is expensive and I had one cat done every year - he is now 12 years old and only has his 4 front incisors left. He has cogential gum disease and now cannot eat dry food. But, at least I did my best to keep his teeth, like I would my own.

By now (I just became a member) you've either had the work done and your cat is smiling!

I do wonder what that lumpy chin is all about.

Have you had that diagnosed?

dogcatharmony
December 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hi, the vet said that his lumpy chin was because his teeth had not be cleaned. Now that they fixed him up he still has a bit of a lumpy chin (I say it is his grumpy ol'mans chin..lol) but it doesn't pull away from the gums as much. Plus he has a few battle scars from his little buddy who likes to swat him around some. But now he is doing great and his chompers are nice and clean!!!!

chico2
December 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
DCH,I am glad he is doing better,the vet did not tell you why his chin looks so swollen??

dogcatharmony
December 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM
yes , the little bottom teeth between the incisors where covered in tarter(sp?) and his gums where just beginning to become infected. Once they were cleaned the vet said that the swelling should go down. She gave me a prescription just incase but the next day he had a normal chin and his lip was back were it was suppost to be. He is doing awesome now.