Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving

kmjx65
November 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Hello,

Sorry if you have seen this twice. I posted in the wrong location earlier. :D

I thought I would ask this before the big moving day comes...so that I am prepared. I have a several questions. :)

Around the end of August, we're planning to move into downtown. My sister is moving out and I'm moving in. It's all hard wood floors and we're worried about the wood getting scratched when the dogs run around.

I have heard there are rubber tips you can glue onto cat claws, is there something like this for dogs? It is bad for dogs? Should I just get a bunch of carpeting?

My dogs' adjustment: We have been living in our apt for almost 2 years. I know moving will be difficult for Ebie and Cookie. They are already have their comfy places in the current apt picked out.

What should I expect in their reaction to the change in environment? Will their mood/behaviour chage? How much stress will this cause? Should I keep the dogs in a kennel during moving day?

I unfortunately never crate trained either dog, Cookie is almost 4 months and Ebie is a litte more than 1.5 years. Is it too late to start now?

When we are in the new place: should I keep them confined to a small area of the apt until they get used to it? All our furniture will be the same so I think that will help.

Any suggestions during the moving process (before, during, and after) will help greatly.

Thanks.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I have heard there are rubber tips you can glue onto cat claws, is there something like this for dogs? It is bad for dogs? Should I just get a bunch of carpeting? Carpeting sounds like a better idea, but a ton of exercise outside would limit the energy and running around indoors too.

What should I expect in their reaction to the change in environment? Will their mood/behaviour chage? How much stress will this cause? Should I keep the dogs in a kennel during moving day? It will be stressful, for sure. What I did when I was moving was I showed them the house a few times first, telling them "This is Boo's house," and "This is Jemma's house." I also didn't wash their beds for about 2 weeks before the move so they'd smell (strongly) like doggy. We also never left them alone until the move was completely over. Dogs + empty apartments = freakout

I unfortunately never crate trained either dog, Cookie is almost 4 months and Ebie is a litte more than 1.5 years. Is it too late to start now? Honestly, I don't crate, and I don't see why you would need to because of a move... :shrug:

When we are in the new place: should I keep them confined to a small area of the apt until they get used to it? All our furniture will be the same so I think that will help. No, I think they just need time to sniff around. As long as you're there, they'll probably be ok.

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I have heard there are rubber tips you can glue onto cat claws, is there something like this for dogs? It is bad for dogs? Should I just get a bunch of carpeting?

honestly, it's easier to just accept the fact that depite our best efforts, dog's scratch up wood floors. putting area rugs w/ rubber backs (to better stay in place) in high traffic areas will help.

What should I expect in their reaction to the change in environment? Will their mood/behaviour chage? How much stress will this cause? Should I keep the dogs in a kennel during moving day?

If you can't watch your dogs, or keep them confined during the move, they should go some place where they will be safe. either a friend/family member/dog daycare/ or boarding facility. but only if you really can't include them AND be sure they are SAFE while you move. it's easy for a dog to get loose during the hustle & bustle of a move, and in a new neighborhood, would make me nervous. I would keep my dog w/ me, but crated or secured some way.

I unfortunately never crate trained either dog, Cookie is almost 4 months and Ebie is a litte more than 1.5 years. Is it too late to start now?

I don't think so, and I think it's a great skill for a dog to have.

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Your dogs are young enough now (and will still be then) that moving shouldn't be a big deal. Some older dogs have a difficult time as do those that have separation anxiety, are anxious in general or those who have been re-homed (from unhappy circumstances with an unhappy ending) a number of times. If you are doing your own packing you will need to be hyper-mindful of hazards ie. cleaning products and solvents, sharps, stacked boxes. Hardwood can be very slippery for dogs, inexpensive runners which can be machine-washed or hosed down in the bathtub (and put away when you have guests and want to show off the hardwood) are a better bet than any version of indoor dog-boots or claw covers.