Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

These Burrs Leave Me Cold

Lukka'sma
November 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Can anybody tell me how long I will have to keep an eagle eye out for these nasty burrs. Do they dry up and blow away before the snow flies? Are they hardy enough to last the winter until some poor animal (usually Lukka) rubs against them and becomes their host? I just hate them.

Lukka'sma
November 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Can anybody tell me how long I will have to keep an eagle eye out for these nasty burrs. Do they dry up and blow away before the snow flies? Are they hardy enough to last the winter until some poor animal (usually Lukka) rubs against them and becomes their host? I just hate them.:mad:

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
:sad: No, they dont dry up and blow away, the only way to not have to keep an eagle eye for them is when the snow gets higher than the burrs!:frustrated: It must be sooooo hard to take them out of Lukka's fur.:eek:

When Meiko gets them ( less than half the fur Lukka has) its a PAIN to take them out!

Sorry for the bad news re: burrs, maybe we should go tell them ( the burrs) that they have to die and fall so we can live in peace. :rolleyes: :o

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I'm with you 100% on these $%^&%$#@ miseries. I actually go through in August and cut down all the still-green burr bushes in my little park where we spend the majority of our time because as far as I'm concerned they serve no useful purpose that other plants cannot serve and are a noxious weed. Anyone with longhaired doggies know what a horror they can be when a whole handful of them get caught up in tail and feathery hair. I just cut a fist-sized bunch of burr and hair from Declan's rump the other night after a ravine hike. Any oil based product will help ease out smaller burr-bunches though as l9ong as you get them ASAP. Grrrr.... hate burrs, HATE 'EM.

Lukka'sma
November 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I guess I have just never noticed them when they were young and green mummummum. I too would like to chop them all down and from now on in the summer when I see them I will do exactly that. Not too sure what they look like when they are just getting started though. Are the burr 's actually formed only with a green color instead of brown? Does the bush flower, or can you give me any other hints as to what I'm looking for in an immature plant.

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM
They're lime-ish green with white-ish centres and look just like the dreaded burrs. They may have purple flowers, or I might be thinking of those throny ground cover plants which are just as %^&$# miserable when you step on them. Sort of :offtopic: ...I used to have verrrrry long hair. We were on a ravine hike when I came across an encampment with some dicey looking guys and decided to head back to the road by the quickest route possible. Unfortunately I wasn't being very watchful and walked straight through a tall burr bush. Needless to say, I was practically in tears all the way home ~ a solid matt of tangled up burr-head. That's when I discovered oil-based products...From that point on it was a braid and hat for me!

I just thought of an alternate use for a a neat little gizmo I bought at a warehouse sale. It's about the size, shape and form of a lipstick tube but is an atomizer that you fill with perfume. I might put some "Mane and Tail" in it and take it on our next walk.

Lukka'sma
November 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yep, Mane N Tail conditioner works great for getting them out. I just slather it on Lukka's tail when she gets a burr caught in her fur. They brush out easily with any good conditioner though.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I have short haired doggies...:o But if Boo gets any, he takes them off himself. :o

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yep, Mane N Tail conditioner works great for getting them out. I just slather it on Lukka's tail when she gets a burr caught in her fur. They brush out easily with any good conditioner though.

I was actually talking about the detangler as it will atomize nicely and I can use it on the spot. But you're right any conditioner will work.

ps. Prin-of-the-short-haired-pull-out-the-burrs-themselves-doggies: stop yer braggin' !!;)

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
ps. Prin-of-the-short-haired-pull-out-the-burrs-themselves-doggies: stop yer braggin' !!;)heh heh.. :D :p