Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My New Kittens Behaviour

kiwiw162411
November 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I got a kitten from my dad awhile back.

Its still pretty small but not like a newborn. Recently she has been meowing and crying at the door every so often. When I pick her up she cries at first than starts purring and seems fine. It doesnt last long but it happens frequently.

Is she in heat? If so, how much is it to get her spayed. I live in Ontario, Canada and cannot find any information on how much it is.

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
your kitten needs to be spayed, regardless. Simply call some vets in your area and ask for a quote. didn't you bring this kitten in to a vet when you got her? has she had her shots?

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
She needs a checkup, her shots and spay. A vet will be able to give you an estimate for everything including costs for a healthy food. I'm not sure how old you are but pets are a huge responsibility that your parents will need to help you with. It can become very costly to feed and take good care of a cat. It's kind of like having kids only it's a fur baby. If she is crying when you pick her up she could be in pain but only a vet can help you figure out what is wrong. If you think she might be in heat DO NOT let her out until she is spayed!!!! Good luck, please come back with an update.:cat:

ps Cats can purr when they are very hurt or even dying so never rely on that as an indication that they feel okay.

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Sorry I assumed you were much younger, then I saw your other post.:p Same opinions pretty much still apply here though. So often I see people give their kids a pet like it's a toy or lesson in responsibility, so it's easy to get me going.:yell:

Good luck finding a place, that's difficult.:fingerscr

coper
November 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hi there, how is kitty doing now? She may be just lonely and looking for your Dad. Was she allowed outside before you got her? It may just be a habit she got into before you got her and when you pick her up you sidetrack her and she is happy. She does need to be spayed but that won't come until she matures a little bit(around 6 months). You should take her in for shots though if she hasn't had any. Let us know how she is doing.

Skryker
November 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
The price of spay/neuter varies depending on where you are...just call your local vets and they will be able to quote you a price.

Daizy
November 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
I've just called my vets, as my kitten will be due for spaying in February so I am very interested in the dollar amount - it will be $292 plus tax :cat: