Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Queen - 2006

marko
November 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM
This was a boring movie. It had SO much potential. It could have told the story of the Queen's life, given the title.

Instead in focuses on the 1 week after Princess Di's death. There was no meat to this story. It was like watching highlights from the news at times. This was a poorly written script or poor choice of subject matter. The characters have NO depth. The Queen is cold. The Queen is an ice goddess. The Queen shows more emotion (the ONLY real emotion she shows the whole film) toward a dead deer than a dead ex-daughter in law. Very trite. The make-up artist did a great job. Yes, she looks like the queen.

In terms of acting, if showing no emotion for 90 or so minutes is considered good acting, then I guess Helen Mirren's (the Queen) performance was good. But who WANTS to see a film with no emotion? Not I.

and another thing...it's been less than 10 years since Diana's death...is this supposed to be an historical film? after less than 10 years? It doesn't sit well with me how we rush through history these days. I mean there's already been 2 films and a few TV shows about 911. But I digress.

The Queen is dry as a funeral drum and I give it a 4/10

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh, that's too bad. The Gazoo gave it 4 stars... :( Thanks Marko. I'll save it for video.

badger
November 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I really enjoyed it. I think the market will be limited to royal watchers and Diana worshippers; not everyone is interested in how a bunch of spoiled, isolated people manage to - briefly - display a slightly more human side. Mirren is really the only draw, and she is uncanny.