Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my 4 month old pitbull puppy losing hair

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
hello, this is my first post. My name is Trevor.

i have 3 dogs, Jack Russell (6yrs), Mini Pin (5yrs) and our 4 month old black and white american pitbull. all of our dogs are crate trained and do not stay outside long periods of time and are treated like our children

recently in the past two week our 4 month old pitbull (cooper) has gotten a few spots where his har is coming out...there is one spot on his hind leg, the side of his face and one near his neck...the skin appears to be a little dry but isnt really red, shiny, flakey or bleeding. he seems to itch at the one on the side of his face occasionally but it doesnt seem to bother him...when i give him baths or the other dogs for that matter they dont really have fleas at all..

coopers eating habits havent changed, he is still very active nad very much a puppy...no vomiting either. i feed him purina Beniful puppy food.

but here is my problem, I immunize my own pets...my mom did it while i was growing up as well...my vet wont see my pitbull for his skin condition unless they re-mimunize him.. so basically they want to re-do his shots and charge me 200 dollars just to charge me more money when they find out he needs medication for his skin problem.

what should i do? any home remedies? change his food? change the shampoo i use?

any help would be appreciated...im just suprised the vet wont see him because i immunized him myself..

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM
my opinion is to call another vet first. (how rediculous the vet won't see you???) and have your dog get a skin scraping done on one or 2 of the spots. a vet will scrape the skin and check for mites. at 4mths old, my dog started to get a "moth eaten" look to him - little bald spots - looked like dry skin - didn't really bother him at all... low & behold, he had a very minor case of demodetric mange (demodex).

it's easily treated. I used an ointment 2x a day. Goodwinol ointment is the brand name. but definately check for mites before using.

demodex is common. passed from mother to pups. normally clears itself by 10mths old.

the other mange is sarcoptic. This one is more serious as it can be contagious (demodex is not contagious).

like I said, just my opinion. I'd first rule out mange before switching food, shampoos, or home remedies.

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM
thanks for the advice ,

i always associate mange with dirty animals that are mistreated..guess i was wrong. im going to give my mother in laws vet a call...she reccomended them.

cooper's spots dont seem to get any bigger, i would figure they would.my jack russel had a hotspot before and it had puss, and was really red and nasty...this is different and alot less severe in my eyes anyways...almost looks like someone took grooming shears to him and took hair off in small spots....lol. and he appears to be healthy.

he is 4 months old and 40lbs...he is a big boy, his dad is a razors edge bloodline and he is 90lbs

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
believe me, I was right in line w/ your thinking last year - then I got a pup w/ mange! it shocked me. my dog's spots never got large, were never "gross" looking or oozy, and he really didn't seem bothered too much by them. he looked like a sweater that had moth holes. little bald spots - one on his side, the base of his tail, and 2 on his underside (belly/chest area).

it did get worse though. my vet decided to wait before using any medication, because it normally just goes away on it's own. however, by 6 mths old, the spots were getting pinkish and a bit irritated. that's when I decided to use the ointment. it was very inexpensive, and worked. not overnight though - it took time for the fur to grow back.

i'm not a vet - it may NOT be mange. but it's very easy to rule out, so it's worth looking into.

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Definately call another vet, Poor Cooper....

I would definately look into a better food too, Purina is not a good food for dogs and puppies... You could have a sensitive doggie too. Once mange and the other suggestions the other members have suggested are ruled out I would say FOOD.

There is a wealth of knowlege on here regarding dog foods. If you check the "dog and cat food" forum you can see why we dont like Purina or the other " garbage" foods around here.

I fed Pedigree for ages, and finally changed my dogs to a high quality food ( then raw) and the difference in my dogs skin, muscle tone, coat ect is like day and night.

Im sorry to kinda get offtopic there but i think alot of Coopers irritated skin could be food related.

Good luck.

Hunter's_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I agree with what the others have said. I would definetly look into getting another, more reasonable vet.:shrug:

As for the food choice, there are much better food choices to make, imo. Purina beneful is not a high quality food at all, and may very well be the cause of poor skin/fur conditions. But #1, you would have to rule out mange, or other skin conditions unrelated to food.
I think you will find the dog food forum here very helpful.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted:thumbs up

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
i started using purina when we got cooper when he was 8 weeks old...my other two dogs were on bill jack. i switched to the bill jack puppy for all of them when we got cooper but it gave cooper runny stool..thats why we switched. im going to call another vet and make an appointment for him. im sure its very minor. he was just standing in my kitchen eating (his favorite passtime) and i notice his coat isnt quite as shiny as it used to be.

ive never dealt with a pet with sensitive skin before..my other dogs do not have anytype of hair loss, fleas or anything

Mahealani770
November 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I suggest Wellness or Canidae. Just remember, don't buy your dogs' food in a grocery store. Afterall, you would't buy YOUR groceries from a gas station, would you? lol I go to a little pet store that's kind of "off the beaten path". They have ALL the good stuff. Food that you get at the grocery store (Pedigree, biljac, purina) for dogs are equal to fast food for us. They're jammed packed with nothing but fillers and garbage. Check out the dog and cat food forum and look up "biljac" and "purina" on the list of how each dog food is scored healthwise. I think that food is one of the poorest! :frustrated:
Good luck and come back with an update!

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I suggest Wellness or Canidae. Just remember, don't buy your dogs' food in a grocery store. Afterall, you would't buy YOUR groceries from a gas station, would you? lol I go to a little pet store that's kind of "off the beaten path". They have ALL the good stuff. Good luck and come back with an update!

we have a store called Pet supplies Plus....they sell Holistic food in big foil vaccume sealed bags. my friend has an iltalian mastiff and he too has skin alergies...i was told to try thier puppy food.

Mahealani770
November 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I just changed my dog's food from the "crap" food to the good stuff and he is a changed dog! But, it's like trying to go from fast food to eating veggies so it may be slow going for awhile. The easiest thing to remember when you're searching for a better food for your pet is to look for natural ingredients. Stuff like "meat, chicken, fish". You don't want to see "meat by-product or chicken by-product", that's disgusting!:yuck: Take a look at your Biljac ingredients just for fun:p . I'm going to go try and find that link for you regarding how food is scored.

~M~

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
this is the food that my friend recomends and our pet supply store sell the entire sold gold line.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=2&code=110

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Just remember, don't buy your dogs' food in a grocery store. Afterall, you would't buy YOUR groceries from a gas station, would you?

it's more than that, it's really reading and understanding the ingredients. If my groc store sold SG, I'd buy it there, without question. I've asked the store I shop at to start supplying healthier options for pets, and guess what... they have. They don't sell the good kibble yet - but are getting there. They now have all natural biscuits available, a few different brands.
and I do regularly pick things up at a gas station, but for example, I opt for a brand name creamer, not a powdered one full of chemicals. it's not WHERE you buy so much as WHAT you buy.

obviously better food = better health. I'm all for switching your dog to a better food, however, I'm also for getting a vet's opinion on the skin issue. either way, it's a win-win for your pup. gets checked out and gets put on a better food.

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I feed my own dog solid gold hundenflocken (adult). Personally, I think it's a good choice. (my dog does very well on it)

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
here are some pics of cooper and his spots...

here he is....
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/jaidedeye/100_1733.jpg

here is the spot on his hind leg...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/jaidedeye/100_1734.jpg

this one was hard to get..he wouldnt hold still..lol
its a pic of his cheack where he has another spot...its in the upper right of the picture...sorry its hard to see..
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/jaidedeye/100_1735.jpg

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
oh my goodness he's cute!!!!

it's hard to tell from photos, but a vet should be able to give you a clear explanation and/or diagnosis. keep us posted!

btw - w/ photobucket images, you can just paste the whole IMG tag in your post, and the images should show up here, instead of being a link.

oh and I also forgot to say... WELCOME!

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
thank you...he is a real sweet dog

i am also going to change thier food to the solid gold line regardless of what skin condition he has.

i tried using the image tag for the pictures but it came up the way you see it

thanks for the welcome

pitgrrl
November 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Your dog is a total cutie!

Good work on deciding to switch foods too, if he does have mange, or a skin infection, etc. he'll need a strong immune system to get over it, so the better food will really help.

technodoll
November 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM
oh! what a sweetheart :cloud9:

good luck with the food switch, i know you will see an overall improvement in your dogs with better food :thumbs up

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM
thanks for the compliments,

he is a great dog, easy to house train, and i am def. a pitbull lover

im excited to see the change in him and with the new food and im sure my other dogs will benifit as well..im going to set up a vet appointment for him tomorrow.

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
He is beautiful,please keep us posted:thumbs up

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM
He is beautiful,please keep us posted:thumbs up

oh i will!

he is getting so big, so fast..when we got him he was 8 weeks old and a little piggie...now he is a moose...lol

wdawson
November 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
solid gold is good......you may want to put him on wolfking adult large breed....to slow his growth.....thats the advice i got and my dogs are doing great.......i fed solid gold and just switched to timberwolf organics.

FelineFatale
November 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
A 90lbs. dog cant be a real am pb terrier. I say switch food fast beneful stinks! :rolleyes:

APBT_owner
November 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
A 90lbs. dog cant be a real am pb terrier. I say switch food fast beneful stinks! :rolleyes:

his father is a registered Razors Edge blue American pit. he is in the pulling and strength competitions where 90lb APBT are average...even with his size he is a big teddy bear...very intimidating looking but very frindly and sweet at the same time.

id say my puppy cooper is going to be between 70-80lbs, he takes after his mother wich looks just like him. his bloodlines were bread bigger than usual wich is typical of the razors edge bloodline

angeldogs
November 21st, 2006, 02:48 AM
welcome.He is a real cutie.Good luck with the vet.

APBT_owner
November 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
welcome.He is a real cutie.Good luck with the vet.

thanks.............:)

MyBirdIsEvil
November 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
his father is a registered Razors Edge blue American pit. he is in the pulling and strength competitions where 90lb APBT are average

Since when?

90 lbs is severely out of standard for a pit bull (30-60 lbs)
Reputable breeders don't purposely breed their APBTs over 60 lbs. Most 90 lb "pit bulls" are mixed with mastiffs. There was a huge craze awhile back to create the biggest pit bull that could be bred. Pit bulls were mixed with mastiffs, pres canarios, and other large breeds so that breeders could get a dog that looked like a pit bull but was much much bigger, and also an attempt to get guarding instinct. (actual APBTs can be dog agressive (socialization usually takes care of that) but NEVER aggressive towards humans or territorial of their property).
Also, the larger the dog the more likely to win a weight pulling competition isn't true. Dogs in weight pulling are competing against dogs of the same weight class, not just dogs of the same breed overall.

I don't appreciate people being lead to believe that a 90 lb pit bull is normal, even for weight pulling. People shouldn't seek out very large pit bulls as it's not in standard and the dog likely isn't purebred or even from a reputable breeder. I know several people who breed (or have bred) and show APBTs and females are usually 30-45 lbs and the males usually 45-60 lbs, which is within standard.

APBT_owner
November 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Since when?

90 lbs is severely out of standard for a pit bull (30-60 lbs)
Reputable breeders don't purposely breed their APBTs over 60 lbs. Most 90 lb "pit bulls" are mixed with mastiffs. There was a huge craze awhile back to create the biggest pit bull that could be bred. Pit bulls were mixed with mastiffs, pres canarios, and other large breeds so that breeders could get a dog that looked like a pit bull but was much much bigger, and also an attempt to get guarding instinct. (actual APBTs can be dog agressive (socialization usually takes care of that) but NEVER aggressive towards humans or territorial of their property).
Also, the larger the dog the more likely to win a weight pulling competition isn't true. Dogs in weight pulling are competing against dogs of the same weight class, not just dogs of the same breed overall.

I don't appreciate people being lead to believe that a 90 lb pit bull is normal, even for weight pulling. People shouldn't seek out very large pit bulls as it's not in standard and the dog likely isn't purebred or even from a reputable breeder. I know several people who breed (or have bred) and show APBTs and females are usually 30-45 lbs and the males usually 45-60 lbs, which is within standard.

i bought him from a repudable breeder, and i know the breed standard..i didnt buy cooper to maintain the breed standard..i bought him for a pet and not a "posession" as you are in fact insinuating...why attack me about it?

some breeders like the one i bought cooper from breed a larger boned, bigger head, more muscular pitbull..i like the look of the bigger dog. and to be honest i went to several breeders, and the friendliest, best looking, best taken care of pits were the ones that were bred larger..the smaller "breed standard" as you call it semed to be more timid and shy...i know not all are like that but it turned me away..

here is a breeder that breeds for sporting an pulling:
http://www.riospitbull.com/males.htm

http://www.powerlinekennels.com/studs.html

http://www.razorsedgekennel.com/FRONTPAGE.htm

i asked for help on the subject of my dogs hair loss, i didnt ask for a lecture and for you to put down my pet because him and his bloodline are not to your liking.. he is my pet and i love him..i could care less if you or the "breed standard" agree or not....

APBT_owner
November 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
this is taken directly out of the UKC breed standard:

"The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy."

chico2
November 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
I am sorry if you felt attacked,I am hoping that was not MBIE's intention.
The sites you provided shows some very muscular heavy dogs,with their big chest and wide stance,even a little scary locking:confused

Rottielover
November 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Anyways, do not like any of those breeders, but congrats on your puppy, hope all works out for you

White Wolf
November 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM
The OP's original question was answered and this thread will now be closed.

Please post again here with an update after this dog has been to a vet or in the dog and cat food forum if you need help selecting a new food.