Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pancreatitis

Caite
November 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I posted a few days ago about my dog not eating. A trip to the vet determined that it is likely pancreatitis. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can to make some informed decisions as to treatment/lifestyle changes.

If you have experience or information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM
All I know about pancreatitis is to watch out for excess fat.:o

Caite
November 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
That's the big thing that all the books/websites say to really restrict. My pup's diet has been adjusted already. There are also a large number of vitamins and supplements recommended - you know how everyone seems to have their take on things. I was hoping that someone had been through this and had found what works and what doesn't. I hate trial and error treatment but it will have to do for now :)

~michelle~
November 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I dont have any advice (u already know to reduce fat) but i wish you the best of luck, keep us updated on how your furbaby does

vfrohloff
November 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM
One of my dogs had pancreatitis this summer. The vet recommended a lower fat food, he is now on Canidae Lamb and Rice and is doing very well. May I ask what food your dog eats? Also, I was giving my dogs a rawhide treat every so often; I have now cut that out since rawhide is very high in fat. I would also check the fat content of any cookies or treats you give your dog, it doesn't take much to trigger a reccurence.

Caite
November 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM
My dog was on the BARF diet, but we have now moved to a low fat home cooked diet. Her treats are all very low in fat, but her food was not prior to this. She doesn't get anything like rawhides. She's a rescue dog, so this may have been something that occured before we adopted her as well. Lord knows how many other health problems her previous owner ignored.... :mad: