Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I found a lump

BusterBoo
November 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Last Wednesday when I was giving my Harley Dude his rubdown before bedtime (yes, he gets a mini-massage every night), I felt a lump...on his front leg...just above where the "armpit" would be. I checked it again the next day and it sort of oozed some stuff (not sure if it is pus or not). anyways.....I made an appt and saw the Vet last Thursday and she wasn't quite sure what is happening. She shaved down his leg (not the most attractive haircut and there is a large mass, about the size of a loonie (or USA silver dollar).

My Vet, looked initially for a parasite that could have gotten under Harley's skin but couldn't find anything. She checked for a puncture...(maybe Buster nipped Harley too hard? )...but couldn't find a "puncture"....so.....she put Harley on Amoxil 100mg 2x a day and Polysporin and said if there is was no improvement by today, then Tuesday morning, they will do a mini-surgery on Harley to remove the lump. Well, the lump is still there, it is a bit smaller but now it is very hard. It is almost like a marble.

So, tomorrow morning, Harley goes for surgery. They will do a full blood panel just to be sure and I have asked for the lump to be analyzed. (Harley went through blastomycosis in January 2006 and I am terrified it has come back in the form of lumps/lesions.

Anyways, I am not looking for medical advice, I just wanted to see if anyone else had lumps removed from their dogs? I am hoping it is nothing more than a cyst :pray:

:fingerscr that is it nothing serious....

Hunter's_owner
November 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Sorry, I have no advice. I haen't heard of a lump with the characteristics that you described.

:fingerscr that everything will be okay.

Frenchy
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Anyways, I am not looking for medical advice, I just wanted to see if anyone else had lumps removed from their dogs? I am hoping it is nothing more than a cyst :pray:

:fingerscr that is it nothing serious....

Daisy had 3 lumps removed on 2 different occasion. It's a simple procedures and they recover fast. :fingerscr And if it's the C word,having the lump taking off could be the end of it.:fingerscr

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I am going through this too Harleys mom. Tonite I go in for MY visit with the vet to discuss all possiblilities for Puppys treatment ( I have already opted for surgery but have to let the vet know)

I hope everything goes well for you, I will keep my :fingerscr for your Harley.
:fingerscr :pray: :grouphug:

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
:fingerscr Hope everything goes well for Harley. We have recurring cysts, warts and fat lumps here. I went through a few cancerous lumpectomies with Tai, my last furbaby. It's unnerving until it's over and you have answers. Good health and healing vibes sent your way!:fingerscr

BusterBoo
November 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies....it's good to know that others have gone through this with positive results. I will post an update tomorrow, once I have my Harley back home with me.
:pray:

doggy lover
November 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
My last dog Travis had fatty lumps removed once, one being the size of a tangerine. But sorry to say the last lump we found on his leg what would be just above his wrist ended up being bone cancer, and he was pts a week later. But it doesn't sound like that is what your dog has, so good luck and keep us updated.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr :grouphug:

~michelle~
November 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
good luck Harley :grouphug: :fingerscr :pray: :candle: :grouphug: :grouphug:
from moe,brax, aiden, logan, maggie and me

Rob n Cody
November 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Cody and I just went through this as well. I found lumps on her torso, and there was also one on her left front leg. Although the leg one was in a weird place, we tested everything, and they were all just fatty deposits..nothing major. I hope this is the same for you, and we have all paws crossed.
Keep us posted.
:grouphug:

BusterBoo
November 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
The Vet called and said the surgery went "well". Harley was waking up nicely but I can't pick him up before 5:00 tonight :sad:

The lump is not a cyst, however they don't really know what it is. They will send it for analysis and that should take a few days before I get the results (probably Monday).

The main concern is that Harley had blastomycosis in January and he can have a relapse. In January it affected his lungs, but it can come back in the form of lesions, lumps, blindness, etc. The Vet wants to check to see if this "mass" could be the blasto that has attached itself in one spot. If that is the case, the prognosis isn't good........it spreads very quickly. We got Harley through that once but not sure if I can afford to do it again. (We are talking a LOT of money - last time was close to $3,000).

And now the wait begins.....:pray:

jessi76
November 21st, 2006, 11:20 AM
oh dear... thanks for the update. Please know your Harley is in my thoughts and know you're not waiting alone.

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Fingers and paws crossed for Harley. :fingerscr :pawprint: :fingerscr Good Luck. :grouphug:

BusterBoo
November 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM
I went around 4:00 and picked up my Harley .....he is so pathetic looking....

He has an incision on his side...about 1.5 inches long and about 4 stitches. The surgery went well but no one will tell me what they think the lump was. They are going to test for cancer and blastomycosis and all the regular problems. My poor Dude has been laying on my housecoat on the bed since we got home, except for about 20 minutes when we were eating (yes....I snuck him a little piece of white chicken which he gobbled up).

Dr. C. said he has to rest tonight, no big meals and just a bit of water.....tomorrow should be back to normal.

Buster is doing ok...he can't figure out why Harley won't play with him. Buster has been sniffing around Harley's incisions and basically all over my Dude. I guess after surgery, they must give us a scent of the anethesia (sp).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.....I will sleep better tonight knowing that my Dude is home and the surgery is over...

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM
welcome home harley... rest well and tomorrow all will be better! :grouphug:

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Yey, he's home! (and in dire need of lots of cookies and lovin'...:D)

Hunter's_owner
November 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Good to know that he is home and the surgery went well.

:fingerscr that further tests will show it was nothing serious.

BusterBoo
November 29th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Harley's Vet just called me and .......IT'S GREAT NEWS!!!! :D

The biopsy came back negative! There is no cancer, there is no blastomycosis, there is no problem!

The mass could have been caused by a bite or scratch (probably from my little darling Buster!), that caused an inflamation and that's it. The Vet said they did take out ALL the mass and it wasn't touching or attached to anything else.

I am sooooooo happy!!!!! I think I will take the Dude in tonight to have them look at his stitches and see if they can remove them now instead of Friday. The Vet said as long as the incision is well closed they can remove them now.

Thanks for all your positive vibes and prayers! :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
November 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Excellent news:thumbs up

You must feel so relieved!!! Thanks for the update:)

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
The biopsy came back negative! There is no cancer, there is no blastomycosis, there is no problem!

wooohooo :crazy: :thumbs up so happy with the good news ! :highfive:

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 11:55 AM
:highfive: YEY!!! That's great news!!! :highfive:

Rob n Cody
November 29th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yay!!!!! :party: Glad he's home and on the mend!

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm so glad to hear it was benign and he's back on the mend :) :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Yay, Harley! What good news! :highfive:

brandynva
November 29th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Great news harley's mom! I'm so glad. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Awww awesome congrats!!! :grouphug: