Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog having seizures

Gail C
November 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Please help

I have a 4year old Female Golden Retriver who has being have what looks like seizures after she gets up from a nap or has been lying around for awhile. When she stands here hind end tucks in and she will stagger around in circles. Her body shakes and she vomits.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Have you spoken to your vet about it yet? :o

Gail C
November 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Yes, about six months ago she had a simular seizure. They did a blood test and it came back negative

Angies Man
November 20th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Is this situation getting worse? Do you think that she actually loses consciousness, or is it more like she's dizzy? Does this happen everytime she gets up from a nap?

If this were happening to a human, and there was no loss of consciousness, I would suspect an inner ear problem resulting in vertigo. It certainly would account for the staggering and nausea.

I've had a couple of dogs in the past that were epileptic. In both dogs, there was a definite loss of consciousness--but in neither dog was there a problem with nausea or incontinence--even during the most severe episodes.

Gail C
November 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM
No it does not happen everytime she gets up, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, but she does not do a lot of moving around.

All she wants to do is just lie around. When she does get up she seems to panic as if she is dizzy and wants to lie down

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I'm surprised that your vet didn't give any anti-seizure meds...:confused:

KITTIE LOVER
November 20th, 2006, 01:59 AM
do you give her chocolate because chocolate causes sezures in dogs???

Gail C
November 20th, 2006, 08:05 AM
No, I don't think she had any chocolate.

Rusty symptoms have changed. She tremors or shakes now, and has a strong urine ordour. I took her to the vet ASAP.

pitgrrl
November 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I'm surprised that your vet didn't give any anti-seizure meds...:confused:

I think it's relatively common for vets to hold off on seizure meds if they're not happening frequently or severly enough, as it doesn't make sense given the possible side effects of such medication.

That said, if your dog is having what you think are seizures you should get a definative diagnoses from a vet (when my dog have focal seizures I made a video for my regualar vet and a neurologist to review, for example), aswell as know how to properly monitor the situation.

There are also tests beyond just blood test that can be done to try and figure out what is or isn't causing the seizures. My understanding is that diagnosing epilepsy is a process of elimination more than anything, ruling out as many other possible causes of seizures to get to a diagnosis.

These sites should be helpful, but please get your dog back to the vet and demand a clear explanation as to what is going on and what the plan of care is.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Ptrcmcc6
November 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I have to agree with pitgrrl. I would get her back to to vet ASAP. Seizures in a dog is not normal. There has to be some kind of underlying factor as to why she is having these seizures. Or, if they can't find the reason why, at least they can rule out some of the things that might be causing the them.

Ptrcmcc6
November 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Has she been tested for a urinary tract infection. She might be dehydrated also due to the DUI. How is she with drinking water? Please take keep us updated with how she's doing?

pamha
November 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM
:fingerscr that your vet can find a fixable reason for what is going on today.
Best wishes to you and Rusty!

Gail C
November 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM
when i took her to the vet this am the tech did say that it might be a urinary tract infection. She has been eating and drinking normal. I will keep you posted as soon as i hear something from the vet. Thanks

Angies Man
November 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
It doesn't sound to me as if she's having actual seizures. Being wobbly and dizzy is not a seizure, it's something else.

Did you ask the vet if it might be a balance/vertigo problem?

Puppyluv
November 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
If they are seizures.....
when I was at the emerg vet, a woman came in with a dog having severe seizures. Another lady made a comment to the vet tech, and she said that even if they pass quickly, and are rare, seizures can cause (severe) brain damage, so a vet should be seen every time and brain scans are a must.
Has your dog had brain scans done? if not, they bshould be done.

Rob n Cody
November 21st, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cody was diagnosed with epilepsy as well, and when my vet was talking to me about it, he said that seizures can come in different shapes and sizes (some involve incontinence, some involve actual shaking, where others just involve a complete "stiffening" of the body...)
I would definitely get it checked out, but dizziness could be inner ear, heart or oxygen problems. There are just too many possibilities to leave it to chance. Keep us posted!

Gail C
November 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
It turns out that Rusty had an inner ear infection and a bladder infection. The vet said that this is what could be causing her dizziness or seizures

The vet said the cause of her ear infection could be her food.

Angies Man
November 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
It turns out that Rusty had an inner ear infection and a bladder infection. The vet said that this is what could be causing her dizziness or seizures

Pet illness is never good news, but compared to seizures, this is good news--ear infections and bladder infections are relatively easy to treat.

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 02:41 PM

What are you currently feeding her?

Gail C
November 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM
she was eating Kirklands Premium Lamb & Rice. The vet suggested Eukanuba. any other suggestions

Angies Man
November 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM
she was eating Kirklands Premium Lamb & Rice. The vet suggested Eukanuba. any other suggestions

Check out the food forum. Eukanuba isn't a step up from Kirklands.

rainbow
November 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I agree. I would switch her to a food with a different protein. Check out the dog food forum here for some good suggestions. If you have any questions please post them there. :pawprint: :dog:

Prin
November 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I agree. What you need to do is look at all the foods you've fed so far and find a new food with no common ingredients. If you need help, we're here.:)