Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hair Loss in Huskies???

luvmyhuskies
February 29th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the board and was wondering if anybody has had problems with hair loss in Siberian Huskies.

Reiko is 13 yrs old & has diabetes (1 1/2 yrs). I've been noticing his top neck area is getting very, very thin as well as the belly area. His skin is extremely dry & scaly as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any ideas? I am basically limited in what I can give him as far as supplements, I did find an ointment that seems to really help the dryness and reduces the scales. I will not be giving him a bath until it warms up a bit (just to be on the safe side in case of infection).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Glenda

Luba
March 1st, 2004, 12:08 AM
I would AVOID a bath. Bathing will strip him of his natural oils which obviously he is lacking. Could make the situation worse.

First, is the air in your home dry? Get a humidifier or boil water on the stove to moisten the air.

Add fish oil capsuls to his diet, start of with cod liver oil. Two capsuls a day for 7 days (morning and night with feedings)
Reduce to one per day after that and keep him on it.

You can also introduce vitamin e to his diet through capsul form as well. Just one should do it, every other day!

I feel this method works wonderfully, especially if the reason is of non environmental allergy components.

marrielle
March 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM
My cat is diabetic and she has dropped alot of coat since being diagnosed. I have finally got her insulin regulated well enough to keep her sugar in line and since then her coat has thickened up alot. Still not as thick and shiny as her pre-diabetic state but much improved.