Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog had diarrhea now constipation?

SuperWanda
November 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hi - may 8 year old had some diarrhea this week. From past experience I withheld food for one day and started giving cooked rice and hamburger (smaller/frequent amounts) but since it wasn't settling down I went to my vet on Thursday. She examined the dog - she continues to be active and alert, no fever. She gave me some medication - I think it is an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic to see if we couldn't settle the intestines down. She said that sometimes the bad bacteria can get going and this makes the intestines irritated.

Well, the last time she had diarrhea was early Friday morning. No bowel movement since then. But, still seems perky and active. We went for a long walk today to try and stimulate something - but nothing.

I think I'll call the vet tomorrow but I just wondered if it takes a little time for the bowels to return to normal after 5 days of the runs? I would say yes but I have a tendancy to worry!

Maya
November 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I would think so because you do get dehydrated after diarrhea. That happens with "irritable bowel syndrome" too it becomes a cycle. You might try looking into probiotics. The antibiotics will also kill off the good bacteria that are needed to keep the intestinal flora balanced.

SuperWanda
November 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Thank you - yes, I was thinking of trying probiotics and asked the vet as well. She said I could buy acidophilus tablets at the drug store - said to stay away from yogurt because some dogs can't tolerate the lactose.

I myself take Bio-k which is a live culture in fermented milk but because there is so little milk - the bacteria are suppose to break down the lactose so it is ok for allergies or lactose-intolerant. Thought I might try that?

I was just getting worried because she has not had a bowel movement for - well, tomorrow will be three days. Seems like a long time.

Maya
November 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Maybe there is a vet open that you could call and ask if this is fairly common with your particular situation. They might give you more to go on. I know three days could be okay for us but every situation is different and different with dogs. Eight I think is getting on in years so it's okay to worry a bit more. I had a bad experience with a vet treating diarrhea/constipation in my older cat when there was something much more serious going on.(this is not to scare you) Just a warning to listen to your instincts and demand more tests if this doesn't get cleared up in a reasonable amount of time. Sorry I'm not sure if that helps any.

Shaykeija
November 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
When the vet put Missie on this medication, she did not poop for a few days. Poop factory reopened for business after about 3 days. The vet said that was normal.

SuperWanda
November 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanksfor your replies - I called my vet to ask and they said to give it today and see what happens. As long as she is still eating and is active to not worry and hopefully something will happen today. If her behavior changes or if it is difficult for her to go, come in sooner.

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Good luck.:fingerscr Hope she goes soon.

SuperWanda
November 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
She finally went! So everything is ok for now. Thanks!

Maya
November 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
Yay.:highfive: :) Hope it stays regular.:fingerscr