Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Prayer For My Little Girl.

Puppyluv
November 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I know I left, but I just wanted to say that Layla needs your prayers right now. She got into a bottle of advil while I was at work last night, and is in very rough shape. She is currently living at the DMV (and will continue to do so for another 3-5 days). The vet said that with the amount she ate, I should have found her dead. The only thing she has going for her is her age and health. He put her at a 75% chance of not making it.
I want to kick myself so badly right now.
She doesn't deserve this.
So please, please, find it in your heart to pray for her right now.
Thank you
:candle:

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 11:13 AM
OH my GAWD - nooooooooooo! not sweet layla! :sad: have tears in my eyes as i read your post puppyluv... sending massive prayers to your girl and to you, (( biggest hugs )) ever and SHE WILL BE OK, she is strong, she made it to the dmv for a reason, she is your miracle girl, she will come back to you!! OK!! i love that sweet girl... :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: and thank you for posting this.... :candle: :pray: :candle: :pray:

~michelle~
November 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
oh puppyluv we will keep you and layla in our prayers. have some faith she will make it......:pray: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
November 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Hugs and prayers that your little girl comes home soon safe and sound. :grouphug: :pray:

pitgrrl
November 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
:sad: Ah, i'll be thinking of both of you.

cpietra16
November 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Puppyluv, you will always be part of this site family...my prayers and thoughts are with Layla....:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Please be strong Layla

LibbyP
November 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Oh My Goodness Puppyluv, It breaks my heart to read this, your little girl is strong and a fighter to be able to make it to the DMV and still be alive today. We all are shareing your pain here, DO Not blame yourself, accidents happen and this was an accident and not your fault. We have 16 x :pawprint: 's are crossed and 8 x :fingerscr you'll both be in our thoughts and prayers, pls keep us posted or if you need anything we're here for you.

OntarioGreys
November 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
:grouphug: I am truly sorry

:pray: prayers here are on the way

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Puppyluv so sorry about Layla - I really hope she pulls through :fingerscr :pray: - you know we are here for you anytime you need us. Keep us posted :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
November 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Any updates?

jessi76
November 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
sending good vibes to layla and you!!!! - love Tucker & jess

chico2
November 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Puppyluv,I am not sure what made you leave us,but you know,like someone said,nobody forgets Puppyluv and Layla:love:
Of course beautiful Layla does not deserve this and neither do you,I am hoping and :pray: ing she'll pull through this ok,please,please:fingerscr

Puppyluv
November 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I just got back from the DMV, and although they don't normally allow visiting hours on sundays, becaue I had made the trek out there, they let me see her for 5 minutes. She is still quite out of it. She is responsive to stimulation, but otherwise is quite comotose. She had a hard time with the charcoal, and kept vomitting it up, so they aren't too sure about how much was absorbed. It may have been up to 10 hours (max) between ingestion and treatment, since I was at work, so they still won't budge ont heir estimates for life expectancy. She's still sitting at 25%, but at least it hasn't gone down. I am so grateful to my parents right now, who answered my call at 3 am their time, asking for a credit card number to pay the 2000$ deposit. I can only hope and pray that she will show her normal zest for life and pull through this.

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
feeling so hearsick over this... hubby also sends you both big :grouphug: and prayers, we lit a candle for layla on our table and sent her a prayer... she's still hanging in there so she will make it, she has to make it. :pray: :candle:

cpietra16
November 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Oh Puppyluv, you have great parents. I am sendind all the positive vibes your way...she is strong and obviously has the will to live. I am glad they let you visit. I was watching Pet emergency last year and they had a similar case. It was a small poodle cross and he made it. So I am :fingerscr :pray: for the same for Layla

CyberKitten
November 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Oh Puppyluv, am so sorry to hear about Layla!! I know how important your girl is to you!!!! I will say lots of prayers and think good thoughts and send them Layla's and your way!!!

I hope she will be OK!!!! I assume they have her on IV fluids - I imagine an OD is somewhat similar for puppies as it is for people but there must be some differences (different levels of absorption and that kind of thing, amg others). I hope they got as much charcoal as possible - and that she somehow got enough of it to help!!! I am guessing there are certain electrolytes and GI protective meds that must be given at various does and she must be on them!!

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through and hope for a good outcome!!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Skryker
November 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM
:candle: :candle: for Layla along with :pray: . Poor girl, and poor you. Hang in there, Puppyluv. :grouphug:

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm so sorry Puppyluv. :fingerscr for your little girl.:sad:

meb999
November 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM
OMG :eek: I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm so sorry you're going through this Puppyluv :sad: I'm sending you lots of positive vibes, Layla will get through this :pray:
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

HunterXHunter
November 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hey PuppyLuv, don't worry, Layla will be ok. Hunter and I wish her a speedy recovery from this so you two can return to your normal lives. Hang it there! :thumbs up :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

Dogastrophe
November 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hope all turns out well. Sending you some good vibes. :grouphug:

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Any news? :o :fingerscr

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
:grouphug: :candle: :grouphug: Bridie, Ceili, Declan and I are keeping you and Layla in our hearts and thoughts Puppyluv:candle: :grouphug: :candle:

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
:sad: I hope they are doing everything they can and that she pulls through okay.:pray::pray::pray:

Hunter's_owner
November 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I'm soo soryy Puppyluv for you and Layla
:fingerscr that everything will be better soon
:grouphug:

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
:grouphug: to you Puppyluv and Layla. My prayers are with you both:grouphug:

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
It's strange,I am really nervous this morning about Layla:sad: and I've never even met her,but still feel I kind of know her.
I think Puppyluv will spend as much time with Layla as she can,I know I would,in time she'll come and tell us...:fingerscr

phoenix
November 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
OH Puppyluv I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm so sorry about what happened. Am sending lots of prayers :pray: :candle: and positive ((((((vibes))))))) for Layla's recovery. Fight, sweet girl!

Puppyluv
November 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I just talked to the vet. The bloodwork hasn't shown significant kidney damage, but she has been puking blood all night. They put her on anti vomitting meds, but she's still puking.:sad: :(

LibbyP
November 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM
:pray: for your little one, How are YOU doing?:grouphug:

ByronsMum
November 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I am SO SORRY to hear about Layla and I can understand how hard it is for you to be strong for your little girl. Hang in there. We're all thinking about you both and praying that the vets do everything possible to help Layla recover quickly. Be strong, Puppyluv.

:candle: :candle: :grouphug: :grouphug:

jiorji
November 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
it's really hard to read this thread...poor Layla. Speedy recovery hunnybun:pawprint:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
poor Layla and poor you Puppyluv what a horrible thing to be going through - its good that she has no signs of kidney damage - my prayers are with you and Layla right now - :fingerscr :pray:

keep us posted - :grouphug:

happycats
November 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
OMG I am so very sorry puppyluv, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and Layla, I hope for a full and speedy recovery!:pray:

Dog Dancer
November 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Oh Puppyluv, you and Layla are in our hearts and prayers. With all our prayers Layla is sure to make it. :candle: :fingerscr Nobody deserves this type of thing, but be strong and do keep us posted.:grouphug:

technodoll
November 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
layla's a tough little one, she WILL be ok guys! she's in good hands and her mommy's love is helping her heal slowly... i too would have an ulcerated tummy from ingesting so many harsh meds :( be strong layla, we're here for you... puppyluv, please keep us posted ok? can't get her off my heart since yesterday... :grouphug:

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Poor doggy. I'm optimistic just because she's in the best hands possible.:fingerscr

poodletalk
November 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Puppyluv, same thing happened to my friends dog, he recovered and he's fine!
Sending you and Layla lots of postive thoughts!

doggy lover
November 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
:candle: Puppyluv, Tucker and I have our :fingerscr and:pawprint: crossed for Layla we are praying for her, keep us posted.:pray:

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I could be wrong,but didn't Puppyluv also get hit by a car this year??
Not a wonderful year for PL and Layla,so things can only get better:fingerscr
The outpouring of love from all the friends here is amazing,Layla must be catching some of the vibes and get better,we are all counting on her to fight this and get back to her loving owner:pray:

Mocha's mum
November 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I hope your little one feels better soon. :sad: Mocha and I send our prayers for you and Layla :pray:

mona_b
November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
My thoughts and prayers for you and Layla.

:fingerscr :pray: :candle:

K9Friend
November 20th, 2006, 09:09 PM
We're keeping our fingers & paws crossed over here that sweet Layla feels better soon! :fingerscr :pray: :pawprint:

Bushfire2000
November 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
:pray: and a lite :candle: for your :angel: good luck.

Puppyluv
November 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Again, thank you so much everyone. It means so much.
I went to see her last night. they had finally gotten her to stop puking (by doubling the anti-vomitting meds). It was pretty scary seeing her. She just lay there and shook, and cowered. Still not very responsive. She didn't pee all afternoon so they are a little concerned about her kidney, and will run tests again this morning. I will be seeing her later today.

Hunter's_owner
November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
Puppyluv, my thoughts and prayers have been with you since I read the first post in this thread.
:fingerscr that the newest test results will be okay.
:grouphug:

Please post some more updates as soon as you know more.
I am sending more positive thoughts your way:pray:

chico2
November 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Puppyluv and Layla:grouphug: :fingerscr :fingerscr

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 21st, 2006, 09:00 AM
:grouphug: Puppyluv:grouphug:

OntarioGreys
November 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Continued prayers :pray:

Prin
November 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Any news? :fingerscr

Puppyluv
November 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have news, and it's FANTASTIC news!!:love: :)
They tried her on food today and she ate well, and her blood levels were normal. They are currently weaning her off her anti vomiting meds and her fluids, and if all goes well, I can get her tonight!:D :party: :thumbs up :cloud9:
Thank you all so much for your support.:grouphug: :pawprint:

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
whoooooooooooooooooooot!

the power of love! prayers! healing vibes! way to go layla... i knew you could do it!! you strong beautiful (mischievous) girl, you! :grouphug: :D :grouphug: :D

oooooh finally i can relax...

Bushfire2000
November 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
:thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up :highfive: What great news. Thank goodness. and Congradulations. Hope she's home soon.

Puppyluv
November 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
I have to ask a question though. They want me to put her on the Royal Canin Renal LP diet. But it's such crap!

Rice, ground corn, chicken fat, chicken meal, cellulose powder, natural flavors, corn gluten meal, dried egg powder, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, taurine, vitamins [DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid], trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], preserved with natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.

Is there another low protein alternative? Or am I stuck with this crap until she's better?

Maya
November 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
That's wonderful.:cloud9:

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
Not sure about the food..................but WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOWWW , I am soooooooooo happy for you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent news!!!!!!:cloud9:

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
I have to ask a question though. They want me to put her on the Royal Canin Renal LP diet. But it's such crap!

well.. i would just put her on the same diet she was on before her incident... after all, isn't that one of the reasons she is as strong as she is, and made it through on a 25% survival rate? :angel: the easiest, most natural thing for her digestion right now is raw... her beloved trout, lots of fresh juicy meat, perhaps some ground bone or ground eggshell mixed in ground raw meat to go easy on her tummy for now... feeding her any kibble, specially crap, will only tax her system IMO. :love: for layla!

phoenix
November 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
:cloud9: YAY!!!!!!!
Oh I'm so happy to hear this. Way to go, Layla! Your love and care has paid off, Puppyluv! What good news.

Prin
November 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Wooo!!! Great news!!!

Honestly, I'd probably listen to the food advice just for a bit. Her kidneys are probably still recovering and you wouldn't want to damage them somehow...:o

LibbyP
November 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
I have checked this post acouple times a day (as I'm sure everyone else has as well for any news) Glad to hear your little Layla has improved so much, that's great news and I'm sure a huge weight lifted off your chest and heart. You sure do have some pretty great :angel: 's looking out for you both :thumbs up. I agree with Prin on this one as far as the food goes, her insides have gone through alot in a very short time, take it slow :highfive: and a :grouphug: for you both

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 04:24 PM
puppyluv, just remember that most vets don't know squat about nutrition, they just want to sell what's on their shelves. listen to your own knowledge and to common sense, and you'll find the answers you need :grouphug:

Skryker
November 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
http://cybergifs.com/fireworks/fireworks.gif That is fantastic news, Puppyluv! Hooray for you and Layla!!:cloud9: http://cybergifs.com/fireworks/fireworks.gif

pitgrrl
November 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
It's sooooo good that she's doing better. I really happy for both of you!

poodletalk
November 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
This is fantastic news puppyluv! :o

I would stick with the food the vet recommends, since she's been eating it today and it's staying down.

chico2
November 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM
Awww,what a relief,:thumbs up I was fearing the worst,every time I opened PL's posts.
I am sure after she's home,her recovery will be so much faster.http://bestsmileys.com/funny/4.gifsorry,thought this was a kiss smiley:D
As for the Royal Canin,none of my vets ever sold it:confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 21st, 2006, 04:58 PM
I have news, and it's FANTASTIC news!!:love: :)
They tried her on food today and she ate well, and her blood levels were normal. They are currently weaning her off her anti vomiting meds and her fluids, and if all goes well, I can get her tonight!:D :party: :thumbs up :cloud9:
Thank you all so much for your support.:grouphug:

That is so awesome I think I am getting a tear of joy in my eye - Way to go Layla for pulling through for mommy :highfive:

K9Friend
November 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Wooo!!! Great news!!!

Honestly, I'd probably listen to the food advice just for a bit. Her kidneys are probably still recovering and you wouldn't want to damage them somehow...:o

I agree. Listen to the vet. Just put her on that food for a little while. It won't hurt. So very happy to hear she's OK! :pawprint:

cpietra16
November 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Fantastic news....great to hear. Please post a picture. I need to see her all healthy and happy:D

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Oh PLuv, I am so relieved and happy to hear about Layla. Been thinking about her and you of course. You've been in my prayers- logged on to the site mainly to see how she is doing. Tell your girl she has people all over pulling for her!!!

It sounds as tho she is doing well tho and that is wonderful news!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back - and get rid of negative feelings. She is a very special dog and she has super human to live for!! I am sure that helped her!!!!

I don't know enough about dog diets to advise - agree with you tho. I sometimes see many of my patients do extremely well (and you know me and anectodal stuff) but if we can get the kids to eat their fav foods, even <shudder> something from Mickey Dee's, we encourage them. I'd never admit it in a medical journal but I am sure we've saved a few with strange foods - they needed to eat and even a central line and electrolytes can only go so far! In my own case, chips (as in the Frito Lay et al stuff) work for me when I am utterly nauseated. Strange but amazing. When I was in Boston Childrens as a patient myself and could eat nothing (meds were awful, hair was falling out just from all the surgery anesthesia!), the father of a girl I befriended used to sneak bags of Wyse chips to me in the ICU, God bless hjis man from the great state of Tennessee!) tho she later died and I still have survivors' guilt (even tho rationally I know better! - it is partly why I disliked the Five People You meet in Heaven - I want to see her again but hopes she forgives me for surviving it all. She was very scared tho and I was somewhat oblivious - well scared but nosy and wanted to know what everything was about. I honestly believe that new study that happy people live longer!!)

Which means Layla must be a happy dog, thanks to you!!!!

Take care!!!!! :grouphug: :highfive:

Puppyluv
November 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you SO SO much everyone! Layla has big slobbery kisses for all of you! (well actually, she's not very slobbery, but she has lots of kisses for you!)
I talked to the vet about the food, and when I told him she was on raw, he said that I could keep feeding it to her, but to make it heavier on white rice, pumpkin and potato (all low phos), and limit the meat to poultry and fish, and no organ meats wso. I can then increase the amount of meats over the next couple of weeks.

She's on a tonne of meds, some for her kidney, some for her tummy, I have to go back to my vet every three days for bloodwork, but heck, SHE'S HOME!!!!:cloud9: :cloud9: :love: :angel: :)

Skryker
November 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM
:thumbs up Good news, Puppyluv. I'm so glad Layla pulled through. Bet she's really glad to be home. :dog: :grouphug:

technodoll
November 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
bless that vet for some awesome diet advice - wow! :angel: is this the DMV place, or your regular vet puppyluv? it warms my heart to know she's home with mommy and oh boy... the beanies send layla big smoochie kissies!! :love:

Puppyluv
November 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM
Suprisingly enough, it was a DMV vet (though I can't remember which one... 3 treated Layla). He felt that since Layla doesn't usually eat kibble (except for a tiny bit here and there) that it wouldn't be advantageous to put her onto it suddenly. So he helped me find a way to make raw work for her right now. He had a pretty good knowledge of low phosp foods, which is one of the main concerns. So tonight she had sardines, potato and squash. SHe ate like she hadn't eaten in days.. which I guess she hasn't really...

happycats
November 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
I am elated to hear that Layla is doing so wel!!! What a scare! You must be so happy and relieved!:dog: :pawprint: Give Layla a big giant hug:grouphug:

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Puppyluv, I just read this thread now. :eek: I was away from the board for a few days and am just getting caught up now. :o I certainly never expected to find this post and wish I had have found it sooner. :o :o :o

I'm so sorry for what you and Layla had to go through. :grouphug: And, I am so glad that she pulled through and is now home with you. :thumbs up Please keep us posted with her progress. :fingerscr

Mocha's mum
November 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
That's great news!!! Mocha and I are so happy to hear that everything turned out alright!! We knew Layla would be okay! :D

jesse's mommy
November 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Woo Hoo! :highfive: I'm so happy to hear this!

dtbmnec
November 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
:eek: I just missed the entire thread....Oh my....

I'm so glad that she's better!

*hugs*

megan

pamha
November 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
I`m so happy for you and Layla! Hope she continues to improve!

OntarioGreys
November 22nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
That is great news :highfive:, I have read about several similiar incidences in the past and mostly the outcome was the dog did not make it after a long battle , so I was quite scared for you.

mummummum
November 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM
Phew! What a great feeling to have your baby out of the woods and home again! :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
November 22nd, 2006, 07:27 AM
That is such good news!!! :D
I am soo glad to hear that everything turned out oka dn Layla is back home with you:grouphug:

HunterXHunter
November 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Woot! That's great news!

...such a good way to end another day at work :thumbs up

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
How is Layla today? is she resting well, how's her spirit? :love:

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
OMG,i too have managed to miss this thread as well. I was scared while I was reading through it, I didnt want to read that something took a turn for the worst... I am so happy and relieved ( as I know you are too) that she pulled through this....

:grouphug: Im sorry I didnt offer any thing when you needed it the most. Im going to keep my :fingerscr that everything stays on the positive side for you both!

Puppyluv
November 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Layla's doing great. She's eating, energetic, and for the most part back to her old self. She is peeing like CRRAAAAAAZZZZZYYY thoughh, but the vet said to expect that. And ohhhh myyyyyy the gasss..... :yuck: It's going to take a little while to get back to happy poops I think. We're heading to the vet tomorrow for BUN, creatinine, and a few other blood tests. :fingerscr

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Good luck, Layla! :fingerscr

chico2
November 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
PL,this is such a relief to hear,I was really worried about you and her.
Is the vet expecting any permanent damage to anything???
You know,as soon as you can,please post pics of Layla,the very lucky little girl!:thumbs up

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
oh happy happy dance! this is just soooo wonderful!

Layla, how many "cat lives" do you have left? :D

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Awww, more great news. :thumbs up Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow. :fingerscr :fingerscr

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
I am so thrilled to hear the good news Puppyluv!!! Sounds like the vet care was good - as well as Layla's caring mommy! Good luck with the bloodwork!! And take care!!!! Both of you!!

heyjude11
November 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Great news!!! I'm so happy for you that your baby is home and doing so well.

meb999
November 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm so relieved to hear Layla is doing so well....http://foolstown.com/sm/ura1.gif
She's a very lucky girl to have such a loving mama :cloud9::thumbs up

cpietra16
November 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture,Picture, picture, picture....please please please:D

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
How did Layla's blood tests go today? :fingerscr

Puppyluv
November 24th, 2006, 12:48 AM
LOL, I'll post some pics as soon as my computer stops rejecting my camera (happens every so often)

Layla's blood tests didn't go great... they showed deffinate kidney damage, which will likely be long term. This just means monitoring and a modified diet (much like what I am feeding her now, but with some more red meat). They are also omewhat concerned about her heart, so that has to be monitored too. I will be back in on sat for another test.

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Aww, that's not such good news... :( :fingerscr that it's really just temporary.:o

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Sorry to hear about the blood tests. :sad: Is there any hope for improvement? :fingerscr How is Layla feeling? :grouphug:

heyjude11
November 24th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I'm so sorry that the blood test results weren't better. If you don't mind my asking, what is the concern with her heart?
I hope for a better outcome from the next round of blood tests and please know you're both in my thoughts and prayers.

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM
puppyluv for some reason i believe that the kidney damage will reverse as she continues to get better... you are feeding her the very best and healing comes from the inside, although it doesn't happen overnight.. i would go see a holistic vet at some point and see if any homeopathic remedies could aid her recovery. she pulled through like a trooper and you will have her stealing your socks for many more years to come! :angel:

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Awwww ((((Puppyluv)))). I hope these blood values will be temporary and she will be over time get better. Give her as hug for me!!! In the meantime, lots of us go through life with less than perfect health and still manage to do OK. <g> But seriously, I hope layla won't have top worry about that stuff on a permanent basis. It's early yet and she has done well so here's hoping for a great long term outcome! :grouphug:

Puppyluv
November 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
There is of course, you are correct TD, a chance that the kidney problems are only temporary, and hopefullly they will be. As per her heart, the concern is because she was quite tachy yesterday, and they are worried about that. She's back to herself though, except she's embarassed by the shaved patch on her leg, and the remnant charcoal on her chin just won't wash off, otherwise she's milking the extra attention from everyone.:love:

To answer CK's queries from way back... the tests and treatments are pretty similar to humans, except for a couple of mesurements.... ex. instead of gfr they just measure creatinine.

rainbow
November 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
How were Layla's tests today? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 01:59 AM
How's Layla? :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

gomez
November 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I just caught this thread, what a rollercoaster ride, with a good ending!

SO happy Layla is feeling better, Gomez sends a couple of licks her way and hopes she feels 100% very soon!:thumbs up

Mahealani770
November 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Awe (*(*(*(PuppyLuv/Layla)*)*)*) I am just now catching up on this thread and I am so sorry about Layla. I hope she pulls through the poor kidney diagnosis. We all love you and Layla and we're all here to support you. Please keep us up to date, post lots of pics, and maybe reconsider coming back to the site permanently?:D :evil: :grouphug:
~M~

Puppyluv
November 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, this weekend was devoterd to some paper writing (and of course, Layla loving:love: )
Both of her blood tests (she had one today as well) were the same as last time, showing damage, but not worse than before. On a positive note, her heart is beating regularily now, and she's been given the :thumbs up on running.

Hunter's_owner
November 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Well that's good news for sure:)
With time, hopefully the blood test will show an inmprovement of her kidneys. As for now, you can be happy that it stayed stable. As long as it don't get worse, you can always hope for it to get better.
She must be feeling soo much better now. (And you must be to):)

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Glad to hear her heart is now okay. :highfive: Hopefully her kidneys will improve over time. :fingerscr :fingerscr Keep us posted. :grouphug:

BusterBoo
November 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM
:pray:

Stay Strong Layla.....and you too Puppyluv! :grouphug:

Golden Girls
November 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
((((Puppyluv))) I'm sorry not to have responded earlier ... I hope everything works out with Layla and that her kidney's improve over time. Everything crossed :fingerscr

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear she's really pulling through Puppyluv, I'm sure you're giving her extra cookies :) Simon and Peaches send wags! :dog:

meb999
November 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: big hugs to Layla and Puppyluv!! I'm so glad your girl is doing well, :thumbs up on her heartbeat being normal :thumbs up

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I am so thrilled to hear Layla is doing well!!! Good foe her!!! I hope the issues with her kidneys is resolved. Glad to hear she is milking it all in - that's a good sign that she is feeling better. <g>

And thx for the info - I am amazed you found time to think of my minor question at such an incredibly stressful time.

Take care of yourself too!!!! ((((((((((Puppyluv))))))))))))))

Sending a hug and good thoughts for Layla!! YY and the S Girls wave their paw and send extra purrs!