Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs on the Bed?

~michelle~
November 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I just wanted to know who lets the pups sllep with them in the bed at night?

Frenchy
November 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
me me me ! I woke up with 3 goldens yesterday morning :cloud9: Only 2 this morning :sad: But Bailey was looking for a spot as soon as I woke up. My dogs get on the bed,on the couch...

brandynva
November 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
:o We let our GSD sleep with us. She's a bedhog too let me tell you. SHe IS a good footwarmer though and if she starts taking up too much room you can tell her down and she'll listen. However, 5 minutes later she's back in the bed. But that's ok, cuz that gives us time to pull the covers back up. Mine are couch babies too.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/Picture027.jpg

Rottielover
November 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Harley is allowed if welcomed up.
Which is almost always.

wdawson
November 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
its more like....am i allowed on the bed:D

dogcatharmony
November 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
when i am getting ready for bed i will tell zoe to get in "my" bed. She is allowed if i let her. She gives goodnight kisses to me and the cats and then jumps into her bed. Lately the two cats have taken over her dog bed, so i have been waking up finding her suggled up to me. There sure was alot more room with just the two cats:D

jesse's mommy
November 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Jesse sleeps with us every night. If she happens to sleep on her doggie bed on the floor, I have a hard time sleeping. She's my snuggle bug. :cloud9:

meb999
November 19th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I would probably let him up, but hubby doesn't want. *don't tell him, but sometimes, I invite him up on the bed after hubby has left for work* .... but Buster doesn't hop up on his own, he only comes up when invited.

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM
well maika has her own bed, dakotah sleeps on the floor, but both get invited for a few minutes of cuddle at night and in the morning, if they want (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). they never sleep on our bed. :)

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Kita is the only one who comes in my room at all, she hops on the bed for about 10 minutes and snuggles then off to her room she goes... She has her own twinsized bed in the "guest" room. She has taken it over.

mafiaprincess
November 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Cider has a choice of my bed, her bed, the carpet, the hardwood floor when too hot and my loveseat. Often she bounces through sleeping on a few.

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I let Angie (my Std. Poodle) up on the bed last night at about 2:30 (I was having trouble sleeping anyhow.) She hardly stirred til about 7:30 when she got up and turned around so she could lick my nose (her favorite target.)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Hubby told me in Vancouver that Joey cant sleep with us in the bed anymore - because he sleeps on his side - so hubby ends up getting kicked out - but I like Joey sleeping in the bed.

So I put Joeys bed beside my side of the bed on the floor with his blankies and his stuffies - he usually jumps up and trys to snuggle in between us - but if I say Joey in your bed he will - get back in his bed.

When we stayed at my parents he slept on the bed - shhh dont tell my parents - it was only a single bed - at 3am one night I heard a large thump then saw Joey getting up kind of dazed - he jumped back on the bed and went to sleep again. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cider has a choice of my bed, her bed, the carpet, the hardwood floor when too hot and my loveseat. Often she bounces through sleeping on a few.

Joey moves around too - he is most often on the bed in the computer which is our guest room too - when its really hot Joey likes to sleep on top of the air conditioning vent :D

MissPeabody
November 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
its more like....am i allowed on the bed:D

I'm fairly new to this webstie and I just saw WDAWSON's dog avatar. That is the funniest dog photo I've ever seen. That grin is hilarious!

joeysmama
November 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cooper knows when we're getting ready for bed and gets himself practically in a panic about getting on the bed. He runs back and forth hopping up and making crying/barking/whining sounds. Its really very cute. He gets on his hind legs and kind of prances along the side like that. He can't get up on his own.

The funniest part is that he goes to the same corner of the bed everytime. He thinks that's the "entrance" or something. I've tried to invite him up from the other side, from the foot, etc. But he runs to the lower left hand corner--where he was the first time he was invited up.

Hunter's_owner
November 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hunter for the most part will sleep on the bed with us. If we tell him to get down so we can get the blankets, he will listen, but will probably get back up after 5 minutes or so. If he does sleep on the floor (he often gets warm throughout the night), he will wake me in the morning for me to move over and allow him to get up next to me:cloud9:

Cassie sleeps in her crate:shrug: her preference. She is quite a cuddler, and would lie down with someone all day long if they were lying down, but in the night time, when she is ready for bed, she stands next to her kennel and waits. She also has a bed that she sleeps in during the day, if no one is available for cuddling.

BusterBoo
November 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Both my dogs sleep on the bed with me and hubby! (duh...where else would they sleep :D )

Harley sleeps on my side of the bed, on the edge, usually snuggled in around my knees. Buster sleeps at the end of the bed, but travels a lot during the night....up to the pillow between hubby and me.....back down to the end of the bed.....in the small of my back.....back down to the end of the bed.... and on and on and on....:)

jessi76
November 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Tucker starts off in his crate, then manages to sneak up sometime during the night. but if we're still awake, he knows to wait until he's invited up. however, I have a rule that the bed is for sleeping - which means no butt licking, no paw licking, no face cleaning, no snorting, no rolling, tossing, turning, hogging, or kicking. all that stuff he can do in his OWN bed, not mine. if he can't lay quietly, he can't stay.

lewisw
November 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
me me me ! I woke up with 3 goldens yesterday morning :cloud9: Only 2 this morning :sad: But Bailey was looking for a spot as soon as I woke up. My dogs get on the bed,on the couch...

Frenchy,
I want to let Dani and Sheeba (Bella) sleep on the bed but the boss says NO... So we compromise and let them lie on the couch...

:offtopic: but look at these two furbabies.

http://www.atozfitness.com/dani/IMGP0689.JPG

Skryker
November 19th, 2006, 05:36 PM
My monster dogs occupy the couch at will, but only get up on the bed if invited-and I have the same rule as jessi76. Beds are for sleeping or cuddling but not intensive grooming sessions (of me or themselves). Fingal shifts between the bed and the floor, where he has old blankies and comforters to nest in. The biggest rule though is that the cat MUST NOT be harrassed, and she gets to pick her spot. The dogs get the leftovers. :D

We're seriously considering a King-size bed since it gets pretty crowded with us and all three animules on there. ;)

Frenchy
November 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Lewis , it's a good compromise ! 2 adults + 2 dogs in a bed = not much sleep! Hurray for being single ;)

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Mine don't want to sleep on the bed all night... They stay on till we fall asleep some nights and then move around.

If they're nervous or had a traumatic day, they sleep the whole night with us and wake us up for pets now and then.:shrug: :cloud9:

Skryker
November 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
It's usually not the dogs that wake me up for pets, it's the cat. She pats me on the face until I wake up. :frustrated:

coppperbelle
November 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Lewis , it's a good compromise ! 2 adults + 2 dogs in a bed = not much sleep! Hurray for being single ;)

Tell me about it. Last night I must have woken up 5 times because one of the dogs was changing positions or I was falling off the bed. At one point Chloe was between my husband and I and Hunter was stretched out at the bottom of the bed. It doesn't leave much room for us. At home Hunter will sometimes jump on the bed but Chloe never does. At the cottage it is the opposite. Both dogs have their own beds beside us.
Next bed I buy will be a king size one.

jiorji
November 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM

lol my goodness, so spoiled:cloud9:
my kits do the same, they own the place

well i don't have a dog but if i did he'd be allowed on the bed. My cats sleep on the bed too. I say if you're able to control the bladder and poopshoot(not piggy:frustrated: )then you can sleep on the bed:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 19th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I'm with wdawson...it's more like will I be allowed on the bed. However, once I've discovered a sliver of bed and claimed it as my own, I'm not warm enough unless I have at least 3 dogs keeping me toasty. :D

Oh, and coppperbelle...we have a king size bed but it's just not big enough! They need to invent a bigger size!! :eek:

LynLyn
November 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Bowser not only sleeps on the bed but has a designated corner, if i even THINK of putting my feet there he'll get all grumpy and push me out of the way.

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
For all of marrieds who think a kingsize bed is the answer...fuggedaboudit. I'm a 110 lb's and single and even in my kingsize, I have to fight for every inch of reclaimed inch. Dog's have adapted People ~ at night they turn into puddles and spread like pudding. And that which is not taken up by dawg itself, is covered in dawg hair anyway! It's quirky how each has their own preferred "spot" in the bed though isn't it ?

Frenchy
November 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I'm a 110 lb's and single and even in my kingsize, I have to fight for every inch of reclaimed inch.

I know what you mean,they will cover every free area ! No mater how many they are!

jiorji
November 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
hehe I hate being single but everytime i go to bed with a cat sleeping on each end of my bed on their own pillows, I think to myself "who's going to put up with this??":(
Luckily, I have a fouton:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 19th, 2006, 10:24 PM
hehe I hate being single but everytime i go to bed with a cat sleeping on each end of my bed on their own pillows, I think to myself "who's going to put up with this??":(

I wish hubby liked Joey in the bed - I think the visit to my parents affected my hubby - their animals are animals and shouldnt be allowed on furnitiure rubbed off on him - we wont be going back there for a while :D

Jiorji when you meet that special someone - you'll have to be sure that they like to share the bed with the fur babies :D

CinnaAngie
November 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Nikki usually sleeps in her kennel, but sometimes she is allowed up to sleep on my bed. She is still learning, however, that the bed is for sleeping, not for playing or trying to lick my face. She LOVES her kennel, and will fall asleep in her kennel really quickly... legs flailing around, it looks like she is running in her sleep, and it makes a lot of noise!!! She also growls in her sleep, and she tends to snore. So much noise for a puppy!

My two kitties usually sleep on my bed, but they won't sleep there if Nikki is on the bed, so she usually does go into her kennel so the cats can have some peace...

TeriM
November 20th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Lucy used to always sleep with us but I got so couldn't get a good night sleep between her and the cats so we implemented the new rule. She has full sleeping privileges is no humans are in bed. If only one of us is in bed then she is welcome to sleep on the other side. If we are both in bed then she has to sleep on her own bed. She does always come for a snuggle in the morning if we are sleeping in together (and can occassionally be very stealthy about sneaking up onto the end of the bed).

Riley has not yet been on the bed. He has put a few feet up a couple times but Lucy growled at him so he backed off. She is generally very tolerant but wants him to understand that the bed is her turf only!

Skryker
November 20th, 2006, 06:48 AM

The right guy won't even think twice about it...my Dancer-cat curls up right next to my husband during the day while he sleeps, with occasional forays up onto his chest (hee, hee-sometimes she gets carried away and starts to groom his beard for him.:D )

My guy's former roomate's cat used to sleep on hubby's chest, too-upside down, feet in the air and the cat's head firmly pressed up under hubby's chin. Too cute, but I never got a pic of it.

pug lover
November 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM
my puglet sleeps in bed under the cover and has her own pillow

:offtopic: is she spoiled?? she has a box beside the bed to help her up

:shrug:

pamha
November 20th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Shoot, I picked the wrong one. The dogs do have their beds... on the floor. Maggie has never liked being on a people bed, even when she was a puppy and I wanted her to sleep with me. Lola gets invited up for a cuddle now and then, but she gets a bit attitudey if she`s allowed up often. I don`t sleep well if there are more than 2 (cat not included) in a bed anyway. Lola does get to sleep with the kids when she wants, but mostly likes to sleep next to where ever I am.

we3beagles
November 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Oh yes...all 4 dogs sleep in the bed with us. One cuddles up to my chest, one sleeps behind my knees, one sleeps at my feet and Bugsey sleeps with DH behind his legs. We all fit and it is such a fun dog pile to wake up to. Everyone snoring and warm, I really couldn't sleep without them. I really look forward to hubby's trips though. Then we get the whole bed to ourselves:thumbs up

jiorji
November 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
:offtopic: is she spoiled?? she has a box beside the bed to help her up

:shrug:

YES!!:eek:

same as my cats...

Frenchy
November 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Oh yes...all 4 dogs sleep in the bed with us. One cuddles up to my chest, one sleeps behind my knees, one sleeps at my feet and Bugsey sleeps with DH behind his legs. We all fit and it is such a fun dog pile to wake up to.

but what happens if you have to get up to go to the bathroom ? :eek:

mummummum
November 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM
ya do what I do...stealth-wiggle down, down, down,down underneath the covers to the bottom of the bed. Remeber the Grinch when he flattens out and slithers around the house ? THAT's ME!

pitgrrl
November 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
My dogs have us very well trained. Streets gets in bed first, always on my side, then I get in and have to lift the covers for Basil to crawl under. He likes to steal the BF's leg space, so basically the BF and I have tiny sections of bed on either side and the dogs take up the whole middle of both the bed and the covers.

If, in the middle of the night, Basil gets too hot, he'll lay on top of the covers for a while, making it harder for the humans to stay covered, then, when he's cold again, he'll tap one of us with his paw till we wake up and let him back in. Streets, being a much more stoic dog, aka not a giant baby, just moves to the dog bed if he gets sick of being in bed with the rest of us.

Conners
November 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Shasta has ALWAYS slept in the bed with me from the first day I got her. Then during our CGN course, our trainer started talking about Alpha and wolf theory and all that crap, so I bought her a crate and she loves it.
I had to stop letting her up on the furniture too and I found that was just too much for the both of us. I decided she doesn't give beans about dominance, she only wants to cuddle with mommy and likewise.
Day time she will go lay in her crate rather than furniture, but at night time I invite her up on the bed and she's my heating pad and is there if I should need her. :cloud9:

kmjx65
November 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
If Ebie is not sleeping next to me I can't sleep or there is something wrong like she's is feeling sick...when she was a puppy she didn't like us bothering her at all. Now that Ebie is older she sleeps right above my head and lays her chin on my arm. :D

This doesn't make my bf happy but Cookie sleeps between us bc she likes the warmth and loves to cuddle.

doggy lover
November 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Tucker has two of his own beds one in living room and one in basement, but he sleeps more or less where ever he wants on the couch and so on. But Tucker never sleeps on our bed, he gets up for cuddles in the morning and sometimes at night but never stays there.:shrug:

Dog Mom
November 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
Hubbie and I have differing ideas about how many dogs are allowed in bed with us, I say 5 he says none but in the morning there is usually 2 in bed with us and the other 3 are on the spare bed. Hubbie goes to work earlier then I do so I still get the group snuggle ( in the pics look for "dog Pile")

jawert1
November 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Simon and Peaches were allowed up on the bed when they were first adopted and we had a king sized bed. Once the ex and I split however, they were cruelly forced to sleep on their own fluffy, washed each week, complete with their own mommy shirts beds on the floor since I have an antique double bed that really only fits me. If I ever get into a place where I can have a king sized bed, I'm sure they'll be allowed back up :D

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
My big long legged lab sleeps on the bed stretched out to take up as much space as he can. My husky prefers to sleep on the floor but if I'm not up by 7:30 he jumps up to lick me to death. If I don't get up right away both dogs start wrestling until I do.

we3beagles
November 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
but what happens if you have to get up to go to the bathroom ? :eek:

I do not. period. I have issues with evil under the bed so years of fear have trained me to not get up at night. when hubby goes everyone wakes up and shuffles around again and I complain for about 1/2 an hour about it. I really hate it when he gets up an hour before my alarm goes off because then I can't get back to sleep.

vona
November 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have to admit it's a bit silly but I have a routine where I'll sleep in my bed for a few nights. All the dogs sleep with me but because they're large and like to stretch out I eventually end up moving to the couch to get a good night's sleep. That works for a few nights until the dogs have it figured out and then they start sleeping with me on the couch. That's when I move back to my bed.

Oh, and my cat does the same.

So, it's a bit like musical chairs with me always losing out. But, I don't mind in the least. :D