Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup's on Kiiji(sp?)

chico2
November 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
The other night,I believe thursday,on CTV's 6 o'clock news, "On your side"with Pat Foran,Pat talked about free advertising on Kiiji(sorry don't know how to spell it)how even puppys are sold by Internet ads.
As an example,he featured a woman who had bred her Schi-Tsu(sp?)and Boston Terrier,resulting in about 9 mixed pups,she glowered about the money she is making,just about made me throw up:frustrated:
I kept waiting for Pat Foran to say something negative about this BYB,but it did not happen,this kind of promotion is certainly not helping stop BYB's,instead I am sure more people figured out an easy way to make money,at the expence of their dogs:evil:

Frenchy
November 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I know Chico2.I look often at these adds (kijiji in french) and it's heaven for the BYB and puppy mills. They don't even have to pay to advertise and there are no regulations,everything goes. I've seen adds from people who wants to sell bitches in heat, or sell their stud's services,or even exchange dogs for breeding ! Some ads are for free dogs/cats. I do my best to answer them ,to tell them it's wrong and to please call rescues but I usually get insults e-mail back to me ! Nice people . :mad:

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Those sites are horrible for bybs, and it gives a whole new definition to "stud finder".:yuck:

RipplingRunJR's
September 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I have used Kiiji, I don't agree with how the reporter said nothing about the breeder but it appears that there was a subliminal message there.

I do have to defend Kiiji in the free advertising area. Bad breeders are bad breeders. Wether they pay for advertising or not. I advertise on Kiiji because I live in a rural area and I would have to pay huge amounts to reach so few people. I am about an hour from a major city so Kiiji works great. I also stud out my Jack Russell, but I do it the right way. I only breed to about 2 females a year and keep my fee reasonable. I BAER and CERF my stud. I put him under a judge in shows and he competes in racing, agility, lure coursing, and earth dog. So the money I earn from two stud fees do not come close to the money that I put into my dog. I won't pay $20 a month accruing to $240 a year. I don't breed to every offer that comes up. I question the motives of people interesting in breeding their dog. I ask how many dogs they have. I ask if their dog registered and has a sanctioned judge ever put their hands on her. My goal is to inform people, and to encourage them to want to do better for the breed. You breed to improve upon a breed, not to make money.

So to get to my point, there can be bad breeders in any advertisement, paid or unpaid. It's the public who should be informed of people with the wrong intensions. As far as that reporter, he should have at least said on the air that the shelter is always a better alternative to paying for a mixed breed from a breeder.

Frenchy
September 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
:rolleyes: