Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kaya's skin problem

Dobb
November 19th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Our shih zu Kaya is 16 months old. We got her a month and half ago. She was scatching and digging when we got her so on her first appt. she got the Revolution flea treatment even though we couldn'nt find any sign of them. We have used a couple of differennt shampoos for dry skin , she eats Medi-cal Preventive Formular so it probaly isn't the food. Vet did an anal gland exam and that was fine. She was spayed, microchiped and had her cherry-eye fixed two weeks ago, but had the itchy problem before that so it couldn'nt be side effects of surgery. Vet says her skin looks great. What would be our next step? Allergys? Seems like it comes in spells, some days alot of digging, some not too bad. Any ideas would be thankful.
Dobb

OntarioGreys
November 19th, 2006, 04:52 AM
she eats Medi-cal Preventive Formula so it probaly isn't the food

If she is allergic to one of the ingredient it could very well be, many dogs are allergic to corn
and some allergic to certain meats usually itchy skin indicates a food allergy

Ingredients for canned and dried are shown here
http://www.medi-cal.ca/consumers/Canine/PreventivePage2_EN.asp

Dobb
November 19th, 2006, 05:09 AM
She was on supermarket dry food when we got her, and was scratching then. That's one of the reasons we switched foods. Thanks for the reply.
Dobb

Dobb
November 19th, 2006, 05:17 AM
What's involved to find out if she is allerigic to something?? Expensive tests? or process of illimation? I don't want to sound cheap, but we have spent just over 1000$ on her in a month and a half, was hoping to buy a few christmas gifts for our human kids.lol But you know how it is,,the baby comes first.
Dobb

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 19th, 2006, 06:09 AM
It could be behavioral problems. You had mentioned that she was a digger and scratched when you got her..
One suggestion would be to give her something to distract her. One of her toys perhaps, or its the opportuned time to learn tricks or obedience. It must be done promptly. As soon as you see her lift her leg to scratch, give her the toy etc...Praise her for the good...it distracts her from the habit
I personally give my dogs Salmon with their kibble..high on omegas and protien..great for any dog's (and cat) skin...provided they are not allergic to it of course.
Good Luck!!!!:pawprint:

Dobb
November 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I don't think it is a behaviour problem. We can be playing and bouncing around and she will stop and scratch and continue playing. I heard that cod liver oil pills might help, anyone ever tried them?
Dobb

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
What's involved to find out if she is allerigic to something?? Expensive tests? or process of illimation?

yes, process of elimination... buy a small bag of holistic, single-protein and carb food and feed that for a few weeks (ask the members here for what has worked for them). if the scratching stops, there's your answer. BTW medi-cal is a horrible, horrible food, you are paying big bucks for by-products, fillers and 3rd-grade ingredients :frustrated:

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I heard that cod liver oil pills might help, anyone ever tried them?

they don't help, what you want are Omega-3 sources such as Ocean Fish Oil - found at any drugstore in the supplements section, capsules are typically 1000mg to 1500 mg. Must be a mix of fatty fish oils. :thumbs up

Dobb
November 20th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the replies,,The vet sells the medi-cal so I thought it would be good food for Kaya, it's what she recommended. I will do some recearch on food and fish oils and start will the elimimation thing. Thanks again,
Dobb