Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do they expect??

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Tonight I was sitting on the couch minding my own affairs watching a movie, when the phone rings, its this couple I barely know from the next town over.

Phone convo

" Hi, ~John~ told us to call you, our cat has been in labour for a few hours now, she wont get up, no kittens have come out and she is really really huge and smells rotten what should we do?"

me- " Get in your car with the cat and head to an emergency vet"

" Well, you see we dont have any money for that and ~John~ said that you would know what to do"

me- "well im sorry but if it were me, I would be going to the vet not calling around in hopes for someone to solve my problems for me"

" No need to be rude, we just thought that you could help"

me- " sorry Im no vet, and your cat really needs to see a vet"

" well cant you come by and see if there is anything you can do?"

me- " Seriously, the clock is ticking, your cat needs a vet not some random person who cares alot for animals, I cant help you Im sorry"

" Ummm, well this is what is happening..... " and he repeated the whole damn thing again...:frustrated: :mad:

What is really wrong with people, this isnt by far the first litter this cat has had, and i was informed tonite that the last litter all died!

GET HER SPAYED!!!!

I really feel bad for this poor kitty... I would have loved to help, but what could I have done? By the time I would have gotten to their place it would have been atleast half an hour........

I know in my reinactment of the story, I seem to come across rude, and I dont think i was, but how can you get it into someones head that they need to get their pet medical attention, and im not it!????

jiorji
November 19th, 2006, 01:05 AM
well looks like the expected you to take her to the vet..

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
lol you had a troll post in real life!??! :eek:

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I probly should have :sad: I really feel so bad for the cat.
I should maybe call them back?!?!?

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 01:09 AM
lol you had a troll post in real life!??! :eek:

LOL, yes Prin, straight up TROLL. But a real one

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 02:10 AM
That's a nasty thing to do to anyone let alone someone who really cares for animals. Behaviour like this is despicable. Would they do that with a human child? Even if they had to pay for medical care it's bloody unlikely they would be shopping symptoms of serious illness around to friends of friends to come up with a cure. No matter what happens erykah don't you dare blame or hold yourself responsible in any way.

:pray: Poor little kitty:pray:

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I called them this morning , the momma cat is alright, she had 6 little kittens but only 1 survived. :sad: They didnt go to the vet.:frustrated:
I despise some people!

jiorji
November 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
sigh...poor kitty. I hope they get her fixed after this and that poor kitten survives.

My cat had kittens before I found her at the spca and i can only imagine what she went through. I mean, if the dumb lady didn't take her to the vet to have her spayed, i doubt she took her when she was giving birth.:(

Hunter's_owner
November 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Wow, what a horrible thing. That is a bad position for them to put you in:(
I think you did what you could, I mean they should have really gone immediately to a vet...how frustrating.:frustrated:

You can't feel bad for this, I mean it is out of your control...sad to think of the animals though...some people:rolleyes:

chico2
November 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Erykah,poor kitty first off:sad: I am sure she'll soon be pregnant again:evil:
When people know you care about animals,they also seem to think we can solve every problem.
The thing is since we do care and can often do nothing in serious cases,other than demand they take the animal to a vet,you end up feeling guilty and cannot get the suffering animal out of your head:sad:
I hope they have this poor little mom spayed,but I somehow doubt it:frustrated:

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM
omg... that is animal abuse, i don't care what anyone says - are they complete morons, or only two halves put together?? :confused: man... i'm out of words :mad:

meb999
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
OMG -- that sucks! Poor Eryka, it isn't fair that anyone would put you in that position. Stupid idiot trolls :troll:

erykah1310
November 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Bad news everyone, momma didnt make it:sad: Kitten either... I couldnt ask any questions cause I was so raged.

Her suffering is over now:rip: sweet kitty

Sorry to have to update such bad news, but just incase anyone was wondering.
I debated telling it, but maybe for someone who one day comes here and actually takes the time to search the forums for their cat who is having problmes with delivery might find it and who knows it could convince them to bring their pet in!:fingerscr

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
I just read this post for the first time. Sorry to hear about the poor momma litty and her baby. :rip: :candle: It didn't sound like the poor momma had a very good life though. :sad: Stupid moron people. :mad: Hugs to you, erykah. :grouphug:

Maya
November 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
:mad::sick: What an awful position to be put in and such a horribly sad ending.:sad:

When people come to the forum saying they don't plan on taking their pregnant cat to the vet I will link them to this thread.

erykah1310
November 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
I also have no patience so when the "owner" started crying on the phone with me all i could say was " well your cat felt enough pain, maybe its your turn to feel pain for her now"
Kinda out of line, but so true!

hazelrunpack
November 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I also have no patience so when the "owner" started crying on the phone with me all i could say was " well your cat felt enough pain, maybe its your turn to feel pain for her now"
Kinda out of line, but so true!

Given the circumstances, erykah, I don't think you were out of line...:grouphug:

Maya
November 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Well lets just :pray: she learned her lesson. Unfortunately some people don't learn from this kind of experience even with the emotional "show". I don't think what you said was out of line at all. After what she put that cat and kittens through I think your response was rather polite. I hope she apologized to you at the very least.

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I hope they don't have any more animals that they treat this way. :(

erykah1310
November 24th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I really dont know if they have any animals other than the cat?? I dont know these people very well at all.

I too hope they have learnt what happened as a result of irresposible pet ownership and allowing a litter. I just really hope this wasnt one of them " show the kids the miracle of birth " kinda things.:sad: I dont even know if they have kids.:confused: :shrug:

I just wish people would realize that this happens daily to animals all around the world. And it IS completely preventable.

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Erykah,you were much more polite than I would have been,in cases like this I need to get to their conscience,if they have any:sad: if for nothing else to relieve my own frustration.
Crocodile tears after the fact,don't work.
Poor little cat,the pain she must have suffered before dying,I am assuming she was not taken to the vet,but died in pain:sad:

erykah1310
November 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Probly a correct assumption Chico2.
My big thing now, is "maybe I should have...." ( insert any idea here)
But in reality i can not afford to start taking the neighbourhood and neighbouring towns pets to the vet as well as my own.
I am just so mad, sad, frustrated ect...
Saddistic people... thats all I can say.

Dog Dancer
November 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Erykah, how terrible a position they put you in. Poor little kitty, she's probably better off now though given what they have put her through already I'm sure they'd have let it happen again.

Is there a way you can let local shelters or adoption places know about them so they can't go out and get another cat?

Some people are so.......:yell: :rip: little mommy kitty, now you're with your babies anyhow.

springermom0406
November 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM
People really suck.... just read the update...that is too sad. Poor kitty....she's in a better place.

I had the same thing happen with my friends cat. Her 3rd litter they came way too early and were all coming out deformed or dead. Mama was having a very hard time I said we need to get her to the vet...they wouldn't take her because of money. So as she went and watched tv I sat there and tried to help the poor mama cat and revive her babies. Out of 6 only 2 lived.

People suck...

Maya
November 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Probly a correct assumption Chico2.
My big thing now, is "maybe I should have...." ( insert any idea here)
But in reality i can not afford to start taking the neighbourhood and neighbouring towns pets to the vet as well as my own.
I am just so mad, sad, frustrated ect...
Saddistic people... thats all I can say.

She likely would have ended up going through the same thing all over again or some other horrible fate if you had been able to help. I made the mistake of looking on the Craiglist yesterday in the pets section, the list went on and on of pets in the hands of irrisponsible people, it's heartbreaking and never ending. We can only do what is within our limit otherwise we end up hurting ourselves.

pjshrek
February 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I knew someone who was like that with their cat, my oldest is acctually from one of the many many litters she had, it seems the more litters the more unhealthy the kittens. People not willing to fix their pets or at least go to a vet in an emergency situation should not be allowed pets. Don't feel guilty it's their fault not yours that they can't take care of their pets.

(poor kitties (mommy and babies):sad: )

erykah1310
January 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Just bumping hopeing it can be of a deciding factor......:wall:

14+kitties
January 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Good for you. :thumbs up Let's pray it does some good.

chico2
January 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Yes,it's an important lesson for those who believe birthing is just popping out cute little kittens:wall:

shredy
January 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I am so sorry for this poor little kitty, and for you. Shame on them for endangering the life of their cat and expecting you to solve their problems.

I met a guy recently with a really pretty golden retriever who told me he planned on breeding her because he wants another dog. I asked him if he had bred before, he said no. His neighbor has a male and their just going to let them do it. I told him he needs to be careful because it is dangerous and really hard on the mother. The guy was a moron, no getting through to him and I had to walk away before I lost it. I did tell him there are too many dogs in shelters already and why doesn't he just get the puppy from the same breeder he got his dog from if he wants them to be the same??? stupid f#@*#** people!

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Good for you. :thumbs up Let's pray it does some good.

For a certain person, I doubt it :wall: but for some others, hopefully it will. :fingerscr