Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about spaying my puppy

Missy
February 29th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I will soon be having my puppy spayed and I was hoping to get some general information. I know it is a small, routine everyday operation and that it will be harder on me than on my pup but she has had a pretty traumatic start to life already and I want it to go as smoothly as possible for her. What should I expect from this?

Lucky Rescue
February 29th, 2004, 10:49 AM
It may be a routine procedure, but it's still surgery and I always worry about my pets too!

Your puppy will be drowsy when you bring her home and may refuse food or water that night. This is normal. She may also act in a odd way - growling or crying, or she may seem disoriented and confused. This too is normal and is just a reaction to the anesthetic.

It's possible she may not poop for a day or two. Just keep her quiet and let her sleep. Keep an eye on her incision to make sure she is not licking it excessively or trying to take the stitches out, and check that the incision is not red or inflamed looking.

Your puppy should be back to her old self within 48 hours!:)

Missy
February 29th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Thank you! It is reassuring to know that she should be back to herself in only a couple of days. She won't be going in for a few months yet but I am wanted to plan my schedule to make sure I can give myself enough time to be home to care for her. Of course...a couple of days with a quiet, sleeping puppy may be a welcome break :)