Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll-less Poll of the night! Vet costs...

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 11:37 PM
No choosing, unfortunately...;)

I'm just wondering about some random vet costs for members here, just to compare and contrast.:)

Sooo......

a) How much is the vet's consultation fee at your vet?
b) How much is an anal gland emptying?
c) How much is a dog/cat rabies vaccine?

If you've never done the anals or a rabies vaccine, that's ok, just post the consultation fee...;)

But no names... No vet names, please.:)

For me:
a) $45
b) $17 (last I had it done)
c) $25 (dog, in combination)

technodoll
November 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM
ooo hard one...

a) $35-ish? been too long, don't remember
b) never had it done
c) $40 for dakotah's complete booster shot, including rabies

the past two years we've had:

1 - dakotah's booster shot & rabies $40
2 - dakotah's tooth repair & cleaning $820
3 - maika's puppy vaccinations x 2 + microchip, about $200
4 - maika's spay & blood tests, about $300

:fingerscr no more accidents... those are 'spensive :eek: Luckily there are no allergies here or other various ailments (knock on wood)

mafiaprincess
November 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM
a) was 56 bucks Canadian in February became 59.10 by April
b) 35.10
c) paperwork discounted it as -23.10 (which was my price of my 4 in one)
not sure if that meant by buying it rabies was free?

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 11:46 PM
c) $40 for dakotah's complete booster shot, including rabiesDistemper too?

technodoll
November 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
yes. i was sooo mad... stupid vet. i asked for the rabies only + 4 others, and he filled a syringe and zapped dakotah even while telling me it was ok, crazy old man, at the cash I got the paper that had EVERYTHING ticked off! rabies + 9 other things, more than half of them useless :mad: i was so pissed. Never went back there again. dakotah swelled at the two injection sites, too. :mad:

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 11:55 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mad, no kidding! :yell: :eek:

technodoll
November 18th, 2006, 11:59 PM
bad things happen to dogs who go at that place. my dogsitter's pit went to get a cyst removed from his front paw, and at the same time got his claws cut really short. poor dog's feed swelled and were horribly infected for weeks, the nails were weeping green pus, dog needed antibiotics which the vet SOLD to my friend - what sterile equipment?? :confused: PLUS we know of a dog that went there to get its teeth cleaned and came out with two missing teeth, no owner consent, the dog developed a bad abcess and leaked pus, also needed antibiotics and a 2nd surgery to fix the infection (not the same vet).... need i say more? :mad: i'm telling everyone i know to stay away from that hellhole! vet should be disbarred IMO.

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM
:eek: There are so many bad ones out there eh? :sad: (I wish they'd let me in...):sad:

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Wowzer am I going to the most expensive Vet practice in the world ?? Actually, our old Vet was more expensive even a few years ago than our current Vet is now if you can believe it.

~ depends on the "seniority" of the Vet. It ranges from $65 to $78.
~ $80 ("with examination" but that really means little or nothing as I get the vaccine at the same time they have their Wellness test, heartworm and thyroid check done which is $140)

times that by three and then throw taxes on top all of that and it's no wonder I'm looking at my empty wallet and http://bestsmileys.com/nono/4.gif

technodoll
November 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM
times that by three and then throw taxes on top all of that and it's no wonder I'm looking at my empty wallet

awe... :grouphug: but they are loved furkids! :love:

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM
You do hw and thyroid every year?

brandynva
November 19th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I know I live in a different country but here's my breakdown except #2. I don't know that one.

1. $32
2. $???
3. $17 for rabies alone, $36 with parvo, distemper, rabies and one other can't remember what now...

Nice thing about my vet, if you go in for vaccination they do a thourough office visit including nail clipping and ear cleaning for only the vaccination price. And they are wonderful too.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to get the vet records out.

I tend not to look at the bills.

"Your total is..."

"Don't tell me!!!"

*takes debit card out*

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 12:24 AM
You do hw and thyroid every year?

Yup... didn't you see my other post about the bloodletting ? I'm clearly excessive. The Wellness test is a full blood panel and chem screen along with physical check-up.

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 12:44 AM
maybe... :o But I'm not one to judge. I just got Jemma "unnecessary" blood tests this Thursday...:o

mummummum
November 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM
The heartworm makes sense to me because we do so much camping and hiking. The blood panels made sense when I was feeding raw/home-cooked to keep an eye on my "nutritionist skills" but maybe next year seeing as we're a kibble family now I'll skip them.

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah, Evo's why Jemma got blood tests...:o

mafiaprincess
November 19th, 2006, 01:24 AM
With 3 year vacc protocols.. I want to call some new vets. See what they claims the protocol is, and randomly what the office visit is just to see.

I may be part way to a second dog :cloud9: and If I then get to pay every office visit x 2 at what may be more than 60 bucks by now.. If I can find another vet at a little less, I may check them out.. but I don't want the lowest cost vet either..

Heck I have Cider's armpit surgery paperwork nearby.. was 760 to spend 10 minutes stitching her up.. bu it's not like you can shop around when something bad happens.

erykah1310
November 19th, 2006, 01:24 AM
b) How much is an anal gland emptying?

a) $68.00
b) $24.00
c) $25.00 ( added to the combo)

maika's spay & blood tests, about $300

Thats IT! Im moving to quebec! Kitas spay and blood tests ran me up to $540.00! That was the surgery ( laser) bloodwork, and ear flush!
Does this sound insane to anyone else???

Kitas quill removal... $300 ish
Kitas "growth" under her chin... $950.00 ( turned out to be an infection due to a splinter that had gone in her gum line)
Kitas yeast infections... ( long since cleared on its own thanks to all of you) all three times $150 each time!

Meiko... hardy wonderful dog! Nothing to report out of the ordinary

Puppy, well this list would be too long... and incomplete.. but will post with surgery costs for him coming up.

dtbmnec
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 AM
1) $65 or so
2) Not a clue
3) $40 I believe (it came "packaged" with the neuters)

Megan

SarahLynn123
November 19th, 2006, 01:29 AM
exam: 67$
anal glands: 30$
rabies:not sure, we get DA2PP & rabies & bordetella & physical exam for $114.70

Plus a discount if we do more then one animal (it works out to a savings of $7 so we usually stagger them throughout the year!)

Skryker
November 19th, 2006, 01:43 AM
:o I'm almost embarrassed to share....

1) $25
2) never had it done
3)haven't have the rabies vac alone, but puppy shotsx2 were under 100, tax included last year and the annual rabies clinics in the fall charge $15 for the rabies alone (which is the bylaw here, so yearly shots need done)

Speuter and rear dewclaw removal was $458 including taxes for both dogs.
They give me a 10% discount for having mulitple animals, and an additional discount for Dancer because she was a stray to start off with...

And people complain that the vets "here in town" charge too much because the country vets are cheaper.:eek:

Frenchy
November 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I go there so often, I don't look at the bills either,I just pay and cry on my way back home :p I told them with all the money I "gave" them I would have to be consulted if they ever do renovations ! They said I would be allowd to choose the paint colour!

wdawson
November 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
consult...$65
dist\parvo\hep\rabies and kennel cough.....$120
neuter with pain meds and anesthesia.....$240

healthy well cared for pets........priceless:D

Rottielover
November 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
consult = 52
anal glands = 17
Rabies = 45$

dogcatharmony
November 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM
1. 68.00 for vet consultation. 2. dont know, never had to do this 3. 67.18 for rabies, parvo and something else.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
consulation 25.00 but on occasion they havent charged me at all
anal glands 25.00
rabies dont recall would have to look up his vet records :)

Hunter's_owner
November 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
A consultation is $25, an exam is $40, but depending on the circumstances, he may not charge us at all.

Never had an anal gland emptying done:shrug:

For rabies, the fee is $14.
For the other vaccines, combined they cost $45, and this also includes nail trimming, ear cleaning, and a full check up.

I can't really remember what Hunter's neuter surgery cost, but I think it was about $150 for the blood work, surgery and all, and Cassie's spaying was probably about the same.

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Consultation: I'm thinking about $25 (but free over the phone.)

Anal Glands: Free--Angie's groomer is an old hand (:sorry: ) and does it as part of her grooming. (She does a good job on clipping nails, too, no bleeding.)

Rabies Vac: $15 at the vet, $3 or $4 at the Humane Society

I have a big ticket coming up, tho. Angie is going to get spayed, have her ruptured umbilicus (an "outy" belly button) repaired, and have gastroplexy (helps prevent torsion after a bloating incident.) The firm estimate is $900. :eek:

My last Poodle died of the catastrophic organ damage that bloat and torsion caused, so I'll bite the bullet (probably not go skiing this winter or buy beer for the next couple of years) and have it done. I've asked for $$ for Christmas.

I rather like my vets approach to dogs and haven't run into it before. They have young women vets who get down and sit on the floor to examine Angie. It is a much more pleasant experience for a dog than being hoisted up on a laminate or metal table. As a result, Angie thinks "COOKIES!" instead of "TERROR" when we go to the vets.

4th catagory: Microchipping. I got estimates at various vets clinics around town ranging from $40 to $75. The Humane Society (which is also the County shelter) does it for $20 and then you pay $17.50 to register the chip.

mafiaprincess
November 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Consultation:
Anal Glands: Free--Angie's groomer is an old hand (:sorry: ) and does it as part of her grooming. (She does a good job on clipping nails, too, no bleeding.)[snip]

I have a big ticket coming up, tho. Angie is going to get spayed, have her ruptured umbilicus (an "outy" belly button) repaired, and have gastroplexy (helps prevent torsion after a bloating incident.) The firm estimate is $900. :eek:

Do you get Angie's glands emptied every groom? I've heard doing it like every 6 weeks rather than only when needed may in time cause a dog to be less able to empty them naturally, so you would have to express them often.

I was wondering what gastroplexy would cost on it's own rather than combined? (since I have a small breed and while read a lot on dane boards.. I haven't had to worry with Cider) I thought during a spay that made it a lot easier to do?

Cider's small but her spay with hernia repair was 235 dollars.

K9Friend
November 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
$42 for consultation at my regular vet who's nearby and I have another at $24 but he's about an hour's drive away!

Anal glands are FREE! :)

Skryker
November 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM
consult...$65
dist\parvo\hep\rabies and kennel cough.....$120
neuter with pain meds and anesthesia.....$240

healthy well cared for pets........priceless:D

This is why we didn't have a dog when we lived in Hamilton...that and we lived on the 10th floor in a 600 sq foot apartment. :rolleyes:

brandynva
November 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but why would you want to empty a dog's anal glands?

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I was also wondering how much a gastroplexy would be... Chances are all of my future doggies will be large breeds, so it's a good thing to know...:o

Boo's big op, at 75lbs, including dewclaws and pre-op blood test: $220
Jemma, before we got her, cheap vet, $125... No blood tests... No pain killers... She was probably around 45 lbs...

Boo + chicken = $86 for treatment of bacterial overgrowth (one shot in the belly- antinausea, one shot in the hiney- penicillin, plus antibiotic pills)
Jemma + wheat = $98 for treatment of acute, severe ear infections
(So PLEASE never give somebody else's dog cookies EVER!! ;))

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but why would you want to empty a dog's anal glands?

They fill up, either because soft stools aren't emptying them, or they are irritated (because of itchiness or allergies), or because of breed and the dog gets uncomfortable (scooting (aka a** drag), excessive licking).:shrug:

turtle_901
November 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure about the last two, but when I brought my two kitties in together for just a check up it cost $68 each!

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I was also wondering how much a gastroplexy would be... Chances are all of my future doggies will be large breeds, so it's a good thing to know...:o

It doesn't seem to be a matter of the size of the dog so much as the deepness of the breeds chest. Poodles are very narrow chested side-to-side and deep chested (up to down) and that's what puts them at high risk of volvulus. Great Danes are the number one candidate for bloat (statistically the chances are 1 in 2), my Standard Poodle (the breed) is number 5 on the horrible list with a 1 in 20 chance.

For those that don't know, gastroplexy is either stapling or stitching the stomach to the chest wall. It can be done laproscopicly--and requires a very small incision (from what I understand) just below the rib cage.

According to the Purdue study, here's the list of dogs in the order of their likelihood of bloat: Great Dane, Akitas, Bloodhounds, Weimeriners, Standard Poodles, Irish Setter, Irish Wolfhound, Collies, Newfies, St. Bernards, & Rotties. The material I have says that dogs with similar sizes and shapes can bloat as well & purebreds are 3 times as likely to bloat as mixed breeds.

I learned something new today, bloat with twisting of the stomach up to 120 degrees is considered torsion, when the twisting is past 120 degrees it's called volvulus. The material I have calls it the '6 hr killer' but anything past about 3 hours is extremely life threatening.

Bloat is thought to be related to exercise before and after eating. I think that food is a factor, particularly the presence of corn products and added sugar. I've heard that citric acid may be a factor.

I carry simethicone (an antigas medication) in my car and have some at home. (Available as those melt on the tongue strips)

Charlie, my last Std Poodle, died of volvulus (multiple organ failure) when he was only 3 years old. For a long time, I was so emotionally scarred that I didn't want another dog. With my Angie, spending $900 to reduce the risk of torsion and volvulus (but not bloat itself) is just something I've factored into the purchase price of my dog.

Edit: Sorry :offtopic: , I'm working on an encyclopedia entry--I'll move all this to there when it's somewhat completed.

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Fun with anal secretions:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Prin
November 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Angie's man, check out this link:
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Breeds%20At%20Greatest%20Riskou
;)

Angies Man
November 20th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Angie's man, check out this link:
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Breeds%20At%20Greatest%20Riskou
;)

A great site. I'm going to distill what I have (and what's on the site you mention) for an entry in the Encyclopedia section. Certainly won't be the complete story, just something to get members attention on this subject. It's a terrible way to lose a dog--it is like being hit by a truck--so sudden, final, and catastrophic. I suspect that most of its victims are 'prime of life' dogs--dogs that don't suffer it live to ripe old ages.

BTW, the bill 3 1/2 years ago to try to save my dog's life was more than $1400!

pug lover
November 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
dogs consultation 35 vet vist 40
lizzard consultation 50 vet visit 75

anal glands-- no clue

annual check up for pug inluding stool sample approx 220
annual check up for lizzard including stool sample approx 180

simple blood work for dog 15 ie heart worm
simple blood work for lizzard 240 ie checking for bernation

is bloat the same thing as gas?? :shrug:

jessi76
November 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM
in USD:

1. $35
2. never had it done
3. I think it's around $15-$20.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
is bloat the same thing as gas?? :shrug:
Bloat is a build up of gas that can't escape. The ER vet feeds a tube down the dog's throat to suck out the gas. If they get too much, or depending on the anatomy of the dog, the stomach flips, blocking both ends. If that happens, emergency surgery is required.

pitgrrl
November 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I think my vet charges $45.00 for a regular exam, though of the dozens of times I've been there she usually just chrages me the $25 re-check fee or deals with both dogs but only charges for one.

Both dogs were neutered at a different, and very evil, vet, which cost $300 each with pre-op blood tests.

Last months little vomit inducing, charcoal feeding visit for 2 dogs cost me only $100. The renovations on the kitchen, so we wouldn't have to go through that again cost another $50 though.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM
:confused: did I miss that thread? :o

Dogastrophe
November 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Consulation: $45; $75 or 80 for multidog trips (when we had the 3 in at once)
Glands: no idea, always had them done as part of grooming trip
Rabbies vac: cannot recall, somewhere in the $15 to 20 range

pitgrrl
November 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
:confused: did I miss that thread? :o

No, it was too stupid to even mention. Basically, dogs ate an undetermined amount of coffee, seemed like they were getting sick, and my lovely vet not only saw them with only 5 minutes notice, but only charged me for one re-check and the meds. I think it would have cost upwards of $200 otherwise.

Moral of the story, as it relates to this thread, is that some vets are really awsome and will undercharge you for everything, making their "offical" prices irrelevant.

doggy lover
November 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM
It just cost me for the vet visit $52.50 the other day. Anal glands never gone through that and for rabies in Sept. it cost me just over $40.

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Moral of the story, as it relates to this thread, is that some vets are really awsome and will undercharge you for everything, making their "offical" prices irrelevant.Definitely. Some vets are amazing.:) (Glad your doggies were ok)

Mocha's mum
November 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I took Mocha to the vet in September to get his back looked at again (the end of the two months of weekly check ups). I got him vaccinated at the same time ('bad mummy' says Mochie!!). I payed $90 in total, which included the exam (not the re-check, those were free), his rabies and a bottle of Metacam to have for back up in case he has a flare up with his back.

So, the bottle of meds were $35, and the exam fee is $35 as well. Which leaves $20 for the vaccines. But, I don't know how different vets and fees vary between provinces....

Hope this helps.....:)

OntarioGreys
November 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Office call $40
fecal $25
Winnies 3rd booster no rabies with this $13
Neuter with bloodwork $254

Bushfire2000
November 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
1 never mentioned although I once took Lacey for something minor that basically had no treatment needed (see over reacting Mommy rushing baby to Dr. for sneezing) and he charged me $5-.

2 don't do it.

3 Annual shots including Rabies $45- per dog.

greaterdane
November 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
Here we pay about $39-$45 depending on the vet for the consultation. The big guys have to go to a different vet specialized in large breeds.

Anals glands are done at the groomers, so i'm not sure what the vet charges.

And rabies is usally $25, or $50 with annual shots