Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Some Advice on Adopting Dog

brandynva
November 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ok, so there is this collie adveritsed in our local area. I am interested in at least looking at her. She is 2 years old and that is all the info given. I emailed the owner but haven't heard anything yet. Thing is, when I did a search for this person on the group that it's posted on, it seems like they may be a puppy mill? I'm not sure. I'm posting the link hoping some of you gurus could tell me if I should avoid this person all together. They are NOT advertising a puppy, and I'm not sure if she is selling the dog or not. However, if she is a miller, what are some flags I need to look for if I go to visit the dog? I hope I'm making sense. Anyway, any input would be mucho appreciated!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BedfordCoVa/msearch?query=chisamongus&charset=windows-1252

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry, that link doesn't work for me.:o

brandynva
November 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Maybe because I am a member of that group. Hm... Basically Here are a few of her ads and their dates:

christmas puppies 11-9-06
I have a liter of poodles small minis browns and 1 white /brown party $400.00 each males only also 4 schnoodles 3 males and 1 female $350.00 all will be ckc reg have shots and wormed to date should be ready about christmas

puppies 10-28-06
I have 2 spaniel mixed pups 71/2 weeks shots and wormed expected adult size 15-20 lbs $50.00 1 chiweenie puppy 6 months about 6 lbs $150.00 shots and wormed needs rabies also christmas poodles Born 10/19/06 $350.00 each

puppies 10-18-06
I have a litter f spaniel mix 2 females will be med size shots and wormed 6 1/2 weeks old have another litter of great pyrneese/ pitt bull mix these will be large and a good family dog verry protective shots ad wormed 7 weeks old

pomeranian puppies 8-16-06
I have 2 male pom puppies should mature around 4-6 lbs Ckc reg shots and wormed $300.00 each

Frenchy
November 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM
sounds like a BYB. And I hate it when they promote this ; what a good christmas gift bla bla bla. Dogs are not gifts :mad: They are a lifetime commitment. Please forget about this Brandy. Go on petfinder.:thumbs up

brandynva
November 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That's what I'm leaning towards. He's advertising a 2 year old female collie, not a puppy. I guess my fear is that he was overbred her. I sent him a whoooole list of questions, but haven't heard back yet.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM
have another litter of great pyrneese/ pitt bull mix these will be large and a good family dog verry protective shots ad wormed 7 weeks old

Wtf? Wonder how they came up with THAT pairing.

brandynva, reputable breeders don't advertise puppies online, and they don't sell mixed breeds. A reputable breeder also wouldn't breed THAT many litters especially of different breed types, and they wouldn't be advertising "For christmas".

Just between those ads that woman has 7 different litters of puppies (and one single puppy), all of different breeds or mixes.

brandynva
November 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
After talking with the lady I do want to have a look at her. I guess my heart feels for this girl. She is currently outside. The lady put her out because she had puppies inside. She has never bred this dog thank goodness. I want to rescue her and provide a good home where she will be taken care of and loved. At this point we are just taking a drive. Wednesday night is when we are going. I'll post an update when we get back! I've asked her tons of questions, so hopefully I've covered all the bases.