Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Hunter's skin tags

Hunter's_owner
November 18th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Well we went to see the vet this morning about the 2 skin tags that Hunter has. Over the past few days, the look of them has changed quite a bit and almost seems to have dried up, it isn't bothering him in the slightest now like it was before.

We got to the vet and were seen by the new vet that has joined the practice, our regular vet was doing something else, so I would have rather seen him, but no difference really.
Anyways, she took a look at it, and said that she can't justify putting him under anesthetic just for that reason, but if he needs to be put under anesthetic for something else within the next while we can get it done then. If it was bothering him she could have tried removing him with some sedation, but didn't figure she would have been able to go deep enough to get the root on both of them. One looks like it can just be clipped off, but the other is thicker.
So anyways, we got a "wait and see". She said it may have to be seen to at some point, but she didn't really see the need to do anything about it today. She said they may even fall off on their own within the next little while.:shrug:

So I guess we wait and hope that they go away on their own.

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm glad they're nothing too serious, but next time, can you spare me the heart attack?? :D and said that she can't justify putting him to sleep just for that reason

hazelrunpack
November 18th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Skin tags! :confused: That sounds so weird, HO! Did you describe them in another thread that I missed? Where are they growing from?! Glad to hear the vet doesn't think they're anything too serious!

Hmmm....just a thought...are they growing from the elbow calluses? (Does Hunter even have elbow calluses?)

Hunter's_owner
November 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
OMG Prin!!!:eek: I meant under anesthetic:rolleyes: , now that I read it over I understand what it sounds like:o Oops
I will have to go back and edit that I guess;)

Hazel, I did describe it in another forum, but not too many people are familiar with them.
He does have elbow callouses, but it isn't like that at all. It is more like a flattened out mole, just a tag of skin that hangs off. When I found it, I thought he had something stuck in his fur, and tried to see, then I realized it was attached to his skin:yuck: (I really can't handle skin stuff, makes me queasy, lol)

They are also called achrochordons I think, or something like that, I will have to go back and find the link...
I couldn't find the good link that describes them in dogs, but here is one that talks about them on humans:http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_tag/article.htm

Again sorry Prin for the heart attack, kinda made me sound like a :troll: :evil: :D

mummummum
November 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Awww...you kids are so young. More than likely you'll get your own skin tags by the time you hit 60.

I'm glad it isn't anything serious Hunter's_Owner. :thumbs up Growths of any kind are scary-bizness. My galpal's pittie just had one removed nearby his armpit as it was causing him grief and she was very concerned about melanoma (which he also has and is now the "proud" wearer of sunscreens, hats and t-shirts when outside).

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM
lol HO, I know what you meant, but the first time I read it, my heart jumped a little.:D

pitgrrl
November 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Both my dogs have and skintags, and sure enough they've just dried up and fallen off on their own. One, which was a bit larger, did bleed at some point in the drying up and falling off process, so you might want to keep an eye out for that, as those little things can bleed more than you'd think.

Hunter's_owner
November 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks pitgirl. Yeah, the vet warned us about that as well.
:fingerscr that it won't fall off and bleed this week when he stays at the in-laws for a night:rolleyes: (on their new carpet;) )
Just kiddin:o