Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Dog shampoo to use?

igauresh
November 18th, 2006, 03:31 AM
We always have problems about fleas on our dog's skin. We tried changing shampoos to kill the fleas on his hair but they keep coming back. There seems to be no solution on the problem. No matter how clean we keep him, it just doesn't help. What do you think is the best shampoo to help us with this problem.

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM
None. You need a product like Advantage. Please see your vet.

mafiaprincess
November 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Many flea shampoos can have damaging results. There's at least one brand sold in walmarts, petsmarts etc I wouldn't touch ever..

If you get a flea product from your vet there's no need for anything but a nice shampoo when your dog gets really dirty.

mummummum
November 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Fleas don't have a great deal to do with dirtiness. Even the cleanest kids at school can get lice after all! You need to get a specific or full-spectrum product like Advantage and you may want to speak with your Vet about Revolution. Flea shampoos can be very toxic as can the sprays for dog and home with the potential for long-term organ and neurological damage. Please use these sparingly. Your best bet is your Vet!

Lukka'sma
November 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I agree, your vet can supply you with Advantage. You will have enough doses to use from early spring until late fall. Very easy to do, just break open the vile, and pour on your dog's fur behind the shoulder and further down the back. Do this once a month and no more fleas.
As for shampoo I don't use a specific dog formula I use Mane N Tail. Works beautifully.

OntarioGreys
November 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Most of the re-occurences will be because there are fleas layuing eggs in your carpeting and yard, you can shampoo to kill the fleas on the dog but and soon at the eggs in te carpet mature to fleas your dog is infestated Once the fleas feeds off the dogs they now can produce eggs again so go back into the carpet or yard to lay them again.

Advantage helps to break the cycle, advantage contains an ingredient that if a fleas feeds on the dog will make them sterile so they can not reproduce, your dog will need to stay on Advantage for at least 3 to 4 months inorder for the ones still living in the carpet to die off as long as the fleas have no other animals to feed off of they will not be able to reproduce and therefore no more new fleas will be born

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
And isn't the optimum for flea control.

My Angie's groomer suggests baby shampoo with conditioner (Angie seems to have dry skin--groomer lady gave me a hard time about all the flaking--but I just didn't notice it.)