Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

digging?

janinezuniga
February 28th, 2004, 10:48 PM
how do youd top your dog from digging the yard up???

Carina
February 29th, 2004, 05:27 AM
You don't, you manage it!

What breed? If he's an earth dog, (most terriers, or daschund) or one of the Northern breeds, digging is pretty well genetically programmed. You can designate an area of the yard for him to dig in and train his to only dig there.

Terriers & some other breeds have been bred for centuries to dig after critters. It's an organised sport for some people & their dogs, they call them "earth trials." :)
Nothern breeds dig sleeping areas for themselves. And many dogs will dig hollows in the dirt when it's hot out because it's cooler.

janinezuniga
March 2nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
thanks agiain, although iawas hoping there was a way to get him to stop. He is a border collie cross and he digs up the yard and i am currently living with my sister in law and she is going to make me buy her new grass if he digs it up. He has been here for a month now so far no digging but there is snow out there so maybe that is why. Thanks again
courtney

amaruq
March 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Mine dig too! I take them to the park where they can have at it all they want. Course i have a few holes in my yard. Gives me an excuse to plant plants there :D