Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I had to give my cats away!!!

raindropsong
November 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I just joined this forum because I have had two cats for the past eight years of my life (brother and sister) which I just had to give away. My mother has asthma and allergies which were becoming so severe that she had to be hospitalised. We gave the cats to people we know well, who love cats. The female cat is doing great, she has settled in and seems to be very happy. However, the male one won't come out of hiding (it has been three weeks), although he does eat and uses the kitty litter. Is this a sign of cat depression? What does one do in a situation like this? Also, would it make it worse if we were to go visit the two of them in their new home?
Please respond. It was hard enough parting from them, but now it breaks my heart to see him so scared.

Thank you.

PetFriendly
November 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
When I moved my cat from my parents house into the appartment I'm currently living in, she hid under the stairs for almost two weeks. Like yours, she'd come out to eat and use the facilities, but would otherwise hide, unless it was dark and very quiet. So no, I don't think its depression, I think its just your cat getting used to his new digs. If he stops eating or using the litter box, then you'll need to worry. As far as going to visit, I really don't know?!

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Hmmm,i Would Have To Say No On Teh Visiting I Had To Give Up My Gsd Ahwile Ago And Going To See Him Did Not Help Either One Of Us..

MyBirdIsEvil
November 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Cats are creatures of habit. They get to know their territory, they get comfortable with it, it's their safe place.
When you move a cat to a new household they're completely removed from what they consider safe. They're unsure of themselves and unsure of the safety of their enviroment so they'll hide until they're sure it's safe and secure.

It's not really depression, it's a survival instinct. He doesn't know where he is and he doesn't know if he's safe, so he hides until he knows for sure it's ok to be seen.
Some cats feel safe around ANY humans which is why the other cat isn't hiding. There are humans there so she figures it is safe and comes out to socialize.

There's nothing wrong with you going to visit, it may actually make him feel better. You could go visit and sit there with the new owners which will give the cat a chance to come out and get to know them. Maybe if you're there with him and the new owners he'll feel better about socializing with all of you and he'll see that no one there is going to hurt him.

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM
For me it just made it harder seeing him,thought it would make me feel better but was it just made me very sad and upset,i guess with cats it is different,but i know it only confused my dog.

cpietra16
November 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
As long as they have each other I think they'll be ok. The male cat may just be more sensitive to change. As long as he eats and drinks he'll be ook. do you have anything like their blankets, anything with their smell, your house smell that may give them comfort? Cats are creatures of habit and they like their territory. Any change can be traumatic, so give him time. He's lucky to have his sister. I hope it works out.

Maya
November 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I think visiting would be nice for both of you. Eight years is a long time to have formed a bond and they are in their senior years now.:sad: If you are there I bet he will feel safer and come out for a visit and cuddles (I think you should go to him first and coax him out slowly). If you could move out soon maybe you can take them back, sounds like a difficult situation though. Definitely bring some clothes or blankets that have your smell. When I went away once and people looked after my kitty's for a couple of weeks, they said my cats spent the whole time in the dirty laundry basket.:o

mummummum
November 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM
:sorry: to hear your Mum is faring so poorly that you had to give up your kitties and hope they adjust to their new home soon.:fingerscr and that your Mum's health improves. :candle:

Maya
November 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM
mummummum that was such a sweet post.:o It needs one more mum though.:p

raindropsong, good luck to you, your mum and fur family.:fingerscr :pawprint:

igauresh
November 18th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I have no experience about giving away cats but I think they are now facing the adjustment of having a new home specially for the male cat. But cats are known to have powerful smelling senses so if you visit them frequently, they might find their way back to your house. I suggest that you let them be for quite some time and then maybe you can visit them after a few weeks.

chico2
November 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I was getting a little confused(does not take much:) )I answered the other post,with the same question by raindropsong,but could not see it here....but I'm ok,it's doubleposted:rolleyes:

raindropsong
November 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM
thank you all very much for the sweet responses. It is hard when you have had these two cats for such a long time and then suddenly someone else has them. I just want them to be happy. Thank you for your nice advice.

chico2
November 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I could not imagine giving my 3 cats to anyone else,so I feel for you,but you did what you had to do and the cats will be fine,both of them,eventually:love:

Angies Man
November 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I'm really sorry you had to find homes for your cats. It'd just kill me if I had to give my Angie away!:(

I'm really allergic to cats, Sheba the cat next door is somewhat feral, but friendly almost like a dog--I have to wash up after handling her--the dander will make my eyes swell shut.

Best wishes to you and your mom.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM
But cats are known to have powerful smelling senses so if you visit them frequently, they might find their way back to your house

Cats can indeed wander several miles and find their way back home, but whether raindropsong went to visit or not doesn't make much a difference in that aspect.
I would assume the new owners aren't allowing the cats outside anyway.