Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Girl name poll

Dog Mom
November 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
again just getting everyone's input

technodoll
November 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
i knew a snow-white akita named "Dallas"... like the dallas cheerleaders? awesome dog! so i like that name :o

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
ooo you're having a girl!?! :eek:

:highfive: That's great! Girls ROCK! :D

I know a girl named Princess. Don't ask me what her parents were thinking... It's gaining in popularity according to that name thing that Shamrock posted a while ago... Something like 80 babies per million in the US are born Princesses.:D

I always liked Maggie. Not Margaret or anything long like that, just Maggie. :shrug:

Uhh...

Of your names, I'd probably choose Sydney though.:)

Dog Mom
November 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
LOL @ Prin I don't know what I'm having yet I have a poll for boys names as well. :o I have a dog named Princess(I named her before I knew you tho):o
my names are not set in stone they are just the ones I like, I'm always open to ideas LOL

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Oh I'm so honored you named your dog after me.:D Just kidding, but it's not insulting like everybody seems to think. Dogs are people too. :shrug:

What about old names? They're making a comeback... Like Rose, and Gertrude and even Ethyl... I should go find that name link...;)

dtbmnec
November 17th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I like Sydney.....

I have no idea what I would name my kid....I suppose I'd have to see baby first before making a decision....

I wonder how long you can go without naming your baby before people think you're crazy?

Megan

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Here Dog Mom: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28144
:)

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I wonder how long you can go without naming your baby before people think you're crazy?My parents put an announcement in the paper a WEEK!! after I was born and I still had no name. IMO, it's like they weren't ready. :frustrated:

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Heh, Prin, the joys of being a younger child! My Mom had Wendy Lee picked out for me and I lucked out-her cousin had a girl 2 weeks before I was born and called her Wendy Lee. Whew! Then they had a long discussion before they could agree on a first name but not on a second name. Finally, Mom gave up and let Dad pick one. Turned out to be the name of an old girlfriend.....:rolleyes:

And a friend of a friend let her husband go and fill out the birth certificate for their baby girl. It was the day the Berlin Wall came down, so he added Freedom as a middle name without consulting his wife. She didn't find out until the birth certificate came in the mail.

As for girl's names, I've always like my great-aunt's name-Elspeth. But my husband hates it.

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
And a friend of a friend let her husband go and fill out the birth certificate for their baby girl. It was the day the Berlin Wall came down, so he added Freedom as a middle name without consulting his wife. She didn't find out until the birth certificate came in the mail.
ooo I like that name... Freedom.. :cloud9:

(lucky about Wendy Lee though...)

Elspeth is cool too... I pretty well like anything that's original.. :shrug:

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM
But Abigail Freedom is a little...different?

Elspeth is an old form of Elizabeth and an old family name, but I just can't convince my man that it's a good name. :p

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I like Kalani means leader or Kai which means sea..Not sure why i didnt use on of those for my pet.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Girls names are hard - good thing we had two boys cause we never came up with a girls name - for a while we were stuck on Asia - but wanted to change the spelling Aja - Ajia - Ajah

now I like simple kind of old fashion names like - Grace, Ava, Claire

Lukka'sma
November 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM
For a girl I like Charlotte.

Frenchy
November 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I always wanted to have a girl just so I could name her Moon Unit.

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
But Abigail Freedom is a little...different?Tee hee hee...

"When ahm ayteen, ahm sooo attaheea. Abby free, Ah tells ya!! Free!" :D Or something like that.

joeysmama
November 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I like the old fashioned names also. I love Claire for a girl. Also Abby, Sophie, those sorts of names. I love Samuel for a boy. I was talking to a lady in a store a few weeks ago and her baby boy is named George. I never liked that name growing up but now I think it's such a good solid name for a boy to grow to manhood with.

My own name was a mistake. My mother was groggy from the drugs. Way back when drugs were the usual way to go. I never liked my name a lot. It's just now starting to grow on me, but I have to say I do likke it better than the one that she had chosen. Of course she didn't even thinkt hat she had the right to speak up and say there was a mistake. Whatever the hospital wrote down was written in stone. If the nurse had stubbed her toe before filling in my birth certificate I might have had an obscene moniker. :rolleyes:

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 08:42 PM
A mistake in spelling by a midwife is why my Mom's middle name is spelt wrong. Starting with my great-grandmother, the oldest girl on down the line has Katherine as a first or middle name, but Mom's is Catherine because the midwife had no idea Katherine could be spelled with a K.

The family is at 5 generations of Katherines so far, so my oldest niece has kind of an obligation if she has a daughter. :D

Dog Mom
November 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
if we have a girl hubbie's mom wants us to name it Chloe, I don't mind the name but we have a dog named Zoe and I just think it would sound wierd. She suggested we either re-name Zoe or just get rid of her!! :mad: I couldn't believe what she said.....................ah well some people just aren't animal people

joeysmama
November 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
My friends daughter has a dog named Jack. When she was pregnant they decided that they loved the name Jack for a boy, so they started calling the dog Buddy to try to get him used to that so they could "borrow" his name for the baby. She had a girl, (Abby) and I'm pretty sure they went back to calling the dog Jack.

She's pregnant again and it's a boy ! I'm really curious now. I have to find out what the doggie's name is--if they got him used to his nickname or if they're going to find a new name for the baby.

My husband is a Tom (Thomas) and his father was Tom and his grandfather was Tom and I think even his great grandfather but I'm not certain. I loved the name Michael but thought it was nice to go with tradition, my husband didn't care about having a namesake but said it was really important to his parents.

Since I also like the name Tom and think it's a good name to grow up with, I decided to name our first baby Thomas.

That was all well and good until the day he was born and I looked at him and realized that Tommy didn't show up, but sent Michael in his place. This baby was a MIchael. Just didn't look like a Tommy to me.

I still named him Thomas but for about a year I think I just called him "the baby."

erykah1310
November 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
For me, i would name my girl, Kyla or Tia....
Boy I would name Logan or Caleb...

I like the old fashoined names too, so in that sence i like Abigail or Annabelle :shrug:

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
She suggested we either re-name Zoe or just get rid of her!! Oh, Dog Mom, you should name the girl Buster then...;)
Kidding!! Of course...:D

Schwinn
November 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
We were down to Grace and Claire. When Grace was born, Mrs. Schwinn looked at me and said, "Well, Daddy, what's her name". I said, "Kona Schwinn". The nurses, who are probably used to all sorts of bizarre designer and trendy names, couldn't hide thier looks of confusion as they looked at each other. Thier faces didn't show any relief when Mrs Schwinn exclaimed, "You are NOT naming her after your mountain bikes!"

So, Grace it is. Usually, if I don't call her by her hip-hop name (G-Race), she's Gracie. What we didn't think about the dog, though, until after we got home and she started crawling, and when we called Gracie, Daisy came running.

Wouldn't have that problem with Kona Schwinn...

Frenchy
November 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't have that problem with Kona Schwinn...

Maybe for the next one ? :D