Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What happened to the bear cub?

Dog Dancer
November 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Sorry, I can't find the thread anymore and was wondering what ever happened to the little bear cub? I hope someone finally rescued him. The fawn thread made me think of it.

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Well, this is the original thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30746

But rainbow's pleas for updates went unanswered...:o

Inverness
November 17th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I had at least two rehab centers willing to take the cub in, but I never got a reply from the op either and gave up. Sorry.

erykah1310
November 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM
K, Im sorry, MNR was unwilling to trap the bear cub, stating that after observing him they were confidant that he was able to survive the winter alone... I was not thrilled with that reply from them and after many concerns on here about contacting them I understand why, I guess they are more concerned about trailing every hunter down seeing as though it is hunting season here. :shrug:
I suppose I have learnt a lesson worth remembering, when it comes down to a wildlife concern , leave mnr out of it. I could not trap the cub myself... for many reasons, and I wish I could have... believe me. He is still around that area but not coming out so frequently. Although food is still left for him by myself, my dad, and the farmer who I had aquired the milk from. He isnt eating so much anymore and there could be days where it is not touched at all.
He has been seen a bit further from town, heading more into the woods. ( crossing yards along the way) perhaps actually heading to his den where he was born!?!?!:confused: Im sorry that this story doesn't have an exceptionally happy ending but the little guy is still alive and on the move.

But rainbow's pleas for updates went unanswered...
I appologize Rainbow and to the others who were awaiting more updates... Truely I am...

I had at least two rehab centers willing to take the cub in, but I never got a reply from the op either and gave up. Sorry.

It isnt like I gave up, but you even said that the rehabs would need co-operation from MNR to trap the bear, however they had no desire to do so. Again reassuring me that he would be fine.

Im sorry if for some reason there is a general conclusion that i dont care... but really there was not much more that I could do...

He is still around like I said... and moving deeper in to the woods. Not seen quite so frequently, perhaps a good thing? Im not sure, but atleast no hunters saw an easy target and took advantage. I would love to keep a close eye on what happens to him this winter but if he in deed does hibernate... I wont know, Unless of course he is seen wandering in the winter... If that be the case Im sure that MNR would then be willing to trap him. I really dont want to call them if thats the case because frankly I am dissappointed in their concern for the bear and the people who walk by him daily... Really he is getting desensitized to humans and could end up in a lot of trouble.

I dont know what else to write right now, but again do appologize for not hunting that thread down and updating....
Sorry

Prin
November 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM
tsk tsk... Erykah, you should know by now: we're all about the updates. :D

Maya
November 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
In my experience with these rehabilitation centres rescues etc..(not sure what MNR is) so far is that they've been way too quick to say leave the animal alone bla bla bla he's fine they do great in the wild when they are half dead etc.. I'm exaggerating only slightly but it really bugs me because I can tell when something is wrong and it's like they act like an authority over the matter over the phone when they have no idea what the situation really is. I had to give up on a raccoon and almost let a baby seagull die because of "rescue people". Grrr I don't know what to do about it except that I'm going to be more assertive next time and say ya well this animal is NOT DOING OKAY Either it is going to die very soon or you need to help it. How do you get these people to do their job???? Sorry bit of a rant frustrated with this issue.:frustrated:

Stacer
November 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
MNR=Ministry of Natural Resources (Ontario):D

Maya
November 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Thank you.:)

chico2
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I've had some dealings with the MNR and none of them good,they are the last people I would ever call again...I don't really think they care if this bear dies,or any other of our native animals,they after all do masskillings themselves,of Cormorants,Raccoons,Foxes etc...why bother with a bear-cub:frustrated:
They are all business:evil:

Maya
November 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM
It's all about the resources isn't it. :sad: :ca:

Dog Dancer
November 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Didn't mean to stir things up by asking. I do believe you did all you could Erykah, and feel badly for you that it didn't work out the way we all would have forseen. Perhaps in the long run the cub will make it through the winter in the woods and go back to his natural habitat without intervention. Let's just hope. But thank you for the update (like Prin said, it's all about the updates right!!). Please don't think anyone has anything but the best of thoughts about your efforts.

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM
:fingerscr I am hoping that he will be alright, all winter this is going to bother me...

I am so hoping this spring I drive by and see him again in the field...:pray: :fingerscr

I too agree with Chico2 that is the LAST time I will EVER call MNR...

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Maybe feed him a dog or two to keep up his strength.

Disclaimer: the above comment was meant in jest. It is absolutely absurd, and the sheer absurdity of the comment is what makes it funny. Please DO NOT feed the BEARS.