Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Albino Fawn

chico2
November 17th, 2006, 11:59 AM
A friend of a friend of mine send him these pics of a nearly newborn fawn trying to cross the road:eek:
They say there was no mama around:confused: So they took him home,he happily fed from a bottle and was running around.
A rehab-farm will come and pic him up,the Zoo and Fossil Rim(whatever that is?)wanted him,but the friend chose a rehab-farm instead.

Dog Dancer
November 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
The fawn is so cute! How sad he's lost his MaMa though. Good thing someone found him and is helping him out though. Good luck little fawn.:fingerscr

jessi76
November 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
oh the poor dear! (pun intended)

yes, very sad he lost his mum, but very LUCKY he was taken care of so well! and off to rehab... that's wonderful!

he's stunning!

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 12:24 PM
How adorable! I'm glad s/he will be going somewhere safe. Poor little mite doesn't exactly have any camoflage.

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Poor baby. I'm so glad he came across the right person. :cloud9:

Rottielover
November 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM
seen that fawn on a website. :)

chico2
November 17th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Rottielover,I don't know anything about this man,but he lives in the Thunder Bay area.
Maybe mom deer,crossed the road expecting the little one to follow,he apparently was nearly hit by a car,or maybe mom was killed? It is deerhunting season,right?:sad: Or is it over?
Would a mama deer maybe reject an Albino fawn???
See,I don't know much about deer,other than they are beautiful.

jiorji
November 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
awww he makes me feel so sad for some reason...all alone without a mommy:yell:

if i ever have kids i'm so not letting them watch Bambi! That movie scarred me for life

MyBirdIsEvil
November 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM
It's a good thing someone found it.
Albino deer are unlikely to survive in the wild, so even if the mother wasn't killed it may have died.

(Sorry I should say less ilkely, since it happens sometimes)

Maya
November 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
He's so adorable but no kidding it would be hard to survive. I wonder if there is a sanctuary he can live at instead of being released again. He won't be able to stay out in the sun for very long. I don't know if an albino could even live long enough to reproduce.:confused:

chico2
November 18th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I am assuming the rehab farm knows about the problems with Albino animals:fingerscr and will not release him into the wild,unless they are sure he'll survive.
There is something eerie about him,angelic:angel: he looks so very vulnerable and fragile.

Maya
November 18th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Mythical creature.:angel:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Der_Berggeist.jpg [edit]( Painting of Gandalf with a white fawn):love:

chico2
November 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Maya,exactly:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 18th, 2006, 10:37 PM
hope the little guy is okay and gets taken care off - I found this info on the net
http://www.freewebs.com/savealbinodeer/index.htm

Albino deer births are estimated in statistical studies to be 1 in 30,000. Albino fawns rarely reach adulthood due to preditors. Besides the fact that they are solid white and cannot conceal themselves in their environment, they also usually have one or more of the following genetic problems: Poor eyesight, poor hearing, and deformities of their feet and legs. This is also the reason that adult albino deer have a life expectancy of only 3 to 4 years. They make an easy target for both hunters and preditors. In order for an albino fawn to be born, both parents must be albino, or if both parents carry the albino gene (they would be normally colored) they have a 1 in 4 chance of producing a fawn that is albino. According to a man I talked to with the Wildlife Department in NC, in his words, "Hunters very, very rarely see an albino deer."

chico2
November 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Thank's JECM,interesting read.
I don't think I'll hear anything more about this baby,hopefully he'll be well taken care of:pray:

Stacer
November 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Very beautiful, hopefully it'll be well taken care of and live a long and happy life. It's a little late in the season for that deer to have just been born though. Fawns are normally born in the spring, while mating (the rut) takes place in the autumn. If it was just born, the likelyhood of it (or a normal fawn) surviving the winter would be slim to none as it needs the spring and summer to gather strength and feed during those months so it can survive it's first winter. Maybe it's older than it looks due to it's albinism. Poor little thing.

Angies Man
November 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I'm not going to comment about picking up this particular fawn--except that nature's way is that the weak or poorly adapted don't survive--not pleasant but the fact of life in the wild.

I will say this, tho, and particularly in regard to standard pigmented fawns. If you see one and it's mom doesn't seem to be around, it may be that you just don't see her. So while it may be very tempting to "rescue" a fawn--most of the time it's the worst thing you can do. Leave the wildlife alone!

Bambi's a wild animal, not a cartoon character, and the last time I checked, deer were not in anyway endangered species.

jesse's mommy
November 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Wow, that's a pretty harsh response. What's wrong with giving a chance to a life that in most circumstances would not have the chance? Isn't that what most of us did with our current pets?

Hunter's_owner
November 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah I agree. Most of the time I think that wildlife should just be left alone, but in this case, I am glad that someone intervened. Mother or no mother, this fawn would not be likely to survive in the wilderness, so a farm or reserve, would be a better place for this one (imo:shrug: )

Prin
November 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I agree. Having had a runt of a litter that the mother naturally tried to "off", I think that in captivity, the rules are much different.

Dogastrophe
November 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
There are several variants of the origin of this little one kicking around since 2005. See the following.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_albino_fawn.htm

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Dogastrophe,That's exactly the e-mail I got,except it said Thunder Bay:confused: Oh well,this is the Internet after all..
I just hope all's well with the little guy,wherever he is:fingerscr
Angies man,I am sorry,but I disagree,there is no way,I would watch a fawn in danger of being hit by a car,just get hit.
I might have looked around for the doe,as they sometimes leave a fawn hiding to go and feed,but under no circumstances would I watch him get killed by a car,if I could prevent it.All life is precious:love:

happycats
November 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
What an adorable little sweetie:cloud9: just Beautiful!:love:

Angie's man, I disagree ! I think if you can make a difference you should. I don;t know how anyone could stand by and just watch any creature die or suffer just because they think it's "natures way" Heck if that were true, so many people here shouldn't be alive either! Many couples use Doctors (IVF) to get pregnant, or would have died at birth or in childhood with no medical intervention and, I don't think humans are "endangered" either:p