Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi y'all, new here, looking to get a puppy/dog, some questions?

Jackie73
November 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I am married with 2 boys (one is biological, 3 yrs old, and the other is stepson, 11 yrs old).

We're interested in adding to our family by getting a new puppy...I am leading very much towards the retrievers, preferrably chocolate labs..:cloud9:

My hubby has an opportunity to get a new puppy for free by a friend who is a breeder...one is 8 week old Australian cattle hound, and the other is 8 mths old Australian cattle (fully trained).

My question mainly is this:

Is this type of dog best for our family? we live in a house in the city :ca: and we're gone for up to 7/8 hrs a day except for weekends.

my 3 yr old son is pretty active and likes to run around and play. Would this dog be not the best one for him??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..:thumbs up

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I don't know much about Australian cattle dogs, other than they are working dogs and when they're not working, they can be very destructive... :shrug:

Sometimes a free dog isn't the best dog.

Have you checked out www.petfinder.com ? Quite often rescues end up with litters of puppies too.:shrug:

jessi76
November 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Is this type of dog best for our family? we live in a house in the city :ca: and we're gone for up to 7/8 hrs a day except for weekends.

my 3 yr old son is pretty active and likes to run around and play. Would this dog be not the best one for him??

you should research the australian cattle dog thoroughly, only then will you have an idea if it's a good fit for your family. I would think this particular breed may need LOTS of room to run and work, and living in the city w/ 2 kids and working 7-8hrs a day, may not be the best for this dog.

an 8 wk old pup will need ALOT of your time, for training, socializing, etc... an 8 wk old pup cannot be left alone for a full work day. an 8 mth old would be better for your schedule, but realize that an 8mth old dog is still a PUPPY, and will get into trouble and require ALOT of exercise, and continued training.

if you are leaning towards a lab, why not take some time to research a few different breeds?

If you do decide on one of these dogs,see if you can do a "trial", see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out, be sure this pup is welcome back at the "breeder".

Jackie73
November 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM
you should research the australian cattle dog thoroughly, only then will you have an idea if it's a good fit for your family. I would think this particular breed may need LOTS of room to run and work, and living in the city w/ 2 kids and working 7-8hrs a day, may not be the best for this dog.

an 8 wk old pup will need ALOT of your time, for training, socializing, etc... an 8 wk old pup cannot be left alone for a full work day. an 8 mth old would be better for your schedule, but realize that an 8mth old dog is still a PUPPY, and will get into trouble and require ALOT of exercise, and continued training.

if you are leaning towards a lab, why not take some time to research a few different breeds?

If you do decide on one of these dogs,see if you can do a "trial", see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out, be sure this pup is welcome back at the "breeder".

Thank you!! that was good advice...I am currently doing research online and reading books etc on different types of dogs...and the best kind that I can find that would be the best fit for me and my family so far are the retrievers...and I love to walk all the time so I have no problem with getting up earlier to take them for walks, and also at lunch hour sometimes, hubby can come home and take the dog out too, and then he gets home before I do, at 3 pm and he can take him out again etc...

A lot to think about..:o