Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats with colds

mammasincharge
November 17th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I have 4 cats that are passing a cold around...1 is better since I have been putting them in the bathroom to inhale the hot steam from the shower. I know when my dog has diarrea my vet said I could give her Pepto tablets..and I know the vet has given one of my animals the doze of a human med. before...is there any home remedies or human meds that I can give my cats for the sneezing and coughing? I am a single mother of 2 and have just had 2 major surgeries so money is very tight right now with me not working.
Thank you...Mammasincharge

badger
November 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Have your cats ever been vaccinated?
Either way, don't give them anything, human or OTC remedies for pets; the first is outright dangerous (unless the vet suggests it) and the second isn't worth your hard-earned money.
I would let nature take its course. If you can afford some oregano oil, put a teaspoon in a pot of boiling water and let it simmer on the stove. I hear it helps. You can also put a drop or two in their food, if they'll accept it.
If any of their secretions, particularly from the eyes or nose start to thicken and turn yellow or greenish, then there's secondary infection and the cat will have to be put on antibiotics, no other way to cure it.
Hope this helps.

mammasincharge
November 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reply, yes they are all up to date with all their shots...they eat, drink and go to the box well they do sleep a lot but with 4 cats that just makes for a quiet house..:crazy: The watery eyes are clear and their nose aren't running out...when they cough they are not vomitting or coughing anything out so that is why I thought I would try the steam shower since that is what I do when my kids have coughs and colds.

I also seperated them 3 from the 1 that got better and have the sickie kitties in with me...I was thinking about bringing out my vaporisor (sp) out and keeping the door closed and let that run all night to see if that helps..

I will try the oil.....Thank you again for the idea.

Laurie1956
November 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
If they are up to date with their shots, they should not have upper respiratory infections as I believe the distemper or leukemia vaccine also contains the vaccine for rhinotracheitis viruses. But it sure does sound like a cold, doesn't it!?! Sometimes I think the better we take care of them the sicker the little rascals get!

Sounds like you're being a really good mom. I'd watch the cough. I've had cats with tonsillitis, bronchial infections, pneumonia and even kennel cough. These guys might need antibiotics to break the cycle.

As far as home remedies, I've dosed them with a tiny dab of Vicks Vaporub on the nose to clear up the stuffiness when they won't eat (if they can't smell, they won't eat) and I even used the 1/8 % infant nose drops, which I don't think are available anymore without prescription. I've done this only when I know it's a cold and they've been seen by a vet but they're still not eating due to congestion.

erykah1310
November 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I've dosed them with a tiny dab of Vicks Vaporub on the nose to clear up the stuffiness when they won't eat

OUCH, wouldnt that burn them??? it irritates my eyes when i put a minimal amount on my nose!:eek:

mammasincharge
November 19th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I was thinking about the vicks too but also didn't want to burn them, so I have put it up to their nose and let them smell it until they back away...1 is starting to show signs of impovement...he is only sneezing a couple of times and has started wondering the house again so he will be ready probably tomorrow (sunday) to go in my girls room with the cat that already got over his cold..

Yes, I agree the better we take care of them the sicker they get..I finally turned the vaporisor off my room was like a steam room but I will turn it back on tonight but I was thinking of getting the vipor rub that I can put with the steam that way it is not burning their nose but it is in the air for them to breath...

I know it is a cold cause I have sympathy stuffy nose.....lol....

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone....

Mamma of da sick cats :cool:

Maya
November 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I've had cat's all my life and none have ever had an obvious cold or cough. I've seen some sneezing for a few days but that's about it. I'd get it checked out soon to be on the safe side. Even if we are up on "all" shots that doesn't mean we are immune to everything.:pawprint:

Laurie1956
November 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I'm talking the TINIEST TEENIEST amount of Vicks, less than would fit on the end of a Q-tip, and then only if they're so congested they're not eating. I think the idea of the Vicks in the humidifier is a better one. Hope they are all doing better now...I know a gal who's been bad about getting her cats neutered:mad: , and so she gets inbred kittens, and those cats are always sick with something respiratory related or eye connected. Your cats may not be inbred but might have a little weakness or predisposition to this. Let us know how they do.